Fish you will never keep... Nope Fish

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because being an ‘artist’ makes you more qualified to recognize beauty?
Lol sounds kind of contradictory to your previous post.
I will proudly respond to you that is affirmative- My trainings in art and art history does provide the foundation to recognize what appeals the human sense of beauty not just from what reaches the eyes, but also in consideration from cultural and historic perspectives.
In no way this contradicts my previous post.
Before you respond- might I just remind you to be kind. Thanks

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will proudly respond to you that is affirmative- My trainings in art and art history does provide the foundation to recognize what appeals the human sense of beauty not just from what reaches the eyes, but also in consideration from cultural and historic perspectives.
In no way this contradicts my previous post.
Before you respond- might I just remind you to be kind. Thanks

Following your logic -
If I say that fish is beautiful, but you disagree, your ‘sense’ would be more profound and reasonable than mine?

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following your logic -
If I say that fish is beautiful, but you disagree, your ‘sense’ would be more profound and reasonable than mine?
From your previous post; “Absolutely, beauty is in the eye of beholder.”

Fish prices aren’t all based on ‘beauty’. Collection depth, collection area, hardiness, etc all come into consideration.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following your logic -
From your previous post; “Absolutely, beauty is in the eye of beholder.”

Fish prices aren’t all based on ‘beauty’. Collection depth, collection area, hardiness, etc all come into consideration.
Tvan- You seems to be on a mission to go out of your way to proof me wrong for some reason. What have I said to have offended you?

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tvan- You seems to be on a mission to go out of your way to proof me wrong for some reason. What have I said to have offended you?
I just wanted your opinion as an ‘artist’.
I quite like Bandit angels but I guess I should reconsider.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted your opinion as an ‘artist’.
I quite like Bandit angels but I guess I should reconsider.
The only thing I've personally blacklisted is the conspicuous. I actually like the bandit angel quite a lot myself. I might consider it more if I didn't already have a couple pomacanthus and takes every ounce of will to hold back on adding a 3rd. And unlike the conspicuous, I do find the bandit quite attractive. the black and white is quite sharp and contrasting- something you can spot from across the room. I recall seeing it in the Waikiki Aquarium and had it on my bucket list- until I learned of its price. The skin/scale is pearly and very reflective. Again, the price tag isn't pretty on bandits either, but at least I can buy in on the appearance quite a bit more in this case.

FL_LPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason, there are fish that just make us say nope. Aggression, fragility, bad luck, just plain ugly, etc...A great big ole pile of nope.

What is your "nope fish" and why?

Mine are the eared eel blenny or wolf eel and the yellow damselfish.

The wolf eel was one of my first predatory fish. From the start, the fish just gave me the creeps. Vicious and ugly, with a face that looks like an old thug mobster... lazy until times called for violence... that one specimen put me off and I have never desired to keep another one.

The Yellow Damsel I picked up as a kid, while i was learning about the hobby, was the first fish introduced to my 75 gallon aquarium. Alone, it was personable and interactive...always seemed to greet me when i came into my room. And then i decided to add more fish. I had always loved huma huma triggers and my mother picked up a small one. In the tank it went and the yellow damsel did what damsels do...bullied the equal sized trigger constantly. Woke up the morning after introducing the fish only to find it finless and near death...the yellow damsel making harassing passes at the little thing while it attempted to hide behind the heater. I caught out the little trigger and put it in my Q tank but it was too far gone. I tried then to find something that could hold its own and possibly eat the yellow monster...a lionfish came to mind. I got one that was definitely large enough to eat the damsel...but like david and goliath, the smaller fighter felled the giant...this time before it was beaten to death, i pulled the lionfish out and held it in my Q tank until i could convert a 45 tall that i had for the lion. I tried an eel, an undulated trigger, a grouper...all repelled and beaten by the 2 inch long yellow tyrant. Ultimately i had to break down the tank and catch the critter out before i could add anything else. I swore never again.

Cheers!

GREY ANGEL! The UGLIEST FISH IN THE SEA!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason Royal Gramma's to me are kind of dull, and way more trouble than they'd ever be worth IMO.

Same with Firefish.... I hate avid jumpers.

Some blennies are boring.

I'm not really into Chromis or Cardinals, or any fish that live largely only in the water column and have very little personality.

Favorites are my mystery wrasse and one day I hope I can have a tank big enough for a nice bat fish :D I think they're super cool.

IMG_0213.PNG IMG_0214.jpeg IMG_0489.jpeg
LOL, you would hate my tank. It's a 56g with a royal gramma, a firefish goby, 2 different blennies, and 2 pajama cardinals. I do not have chromis but I do have 6 yellow tail damsels. You might like my tomini tang?

Actually in a smallish tank I like having such a large variety of fish that are peaceful enough to reside together and all are invert safe ( I love my 2 ornamental shrimp).

The beauty of this hobby is there is lots of variety to satisfy every tastes and interest.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a trigger or puffer, but afraid of what they'd do to my inverts or other fish
Oh same. I love those ornate puffers, but they would destroy my precious invertebrates. Oh the other day I nearly died when I saw a baby Valentini puffer at the LFS. He was literally as long as a paper clip. Tried to use my hand for scale, but he was smaller than that.
1604281383729.png

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beautiful when young yet still dreaded Jewel Fish.
As a newbie I made the mistake of putting just one of these in my tank. I just could not resist the glowing dots and beautiful colors. Even at 1" long they are a terror and as they get bigger they claim more and more of the tank. By time you decide they have to go it's almost impossible to catch them.

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure I got lucky and have the chillest six line ever. I got it when I first got into the hobby and didn't know any better so it was my first fish. Since then I've added a clown, midas blenny, coral beauty, azure damsel, royal gramma, mandarin, and even a melanarus wrasse. My sixline has never shown any aggression. It even cleans the other fish. Maybe I just got lucky

Jacksfish2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I thought I was the only one that thought that...so many people buy them for their tanks and they don't do anything. LOL
i have one myself and I really like him actually, he’s grown quite a bit and I think he’s got a great personality in my opinion he’s a great beginner fish because most beginners start out with small tanks, and most beginners also don’t want to spend too much so they’re the perfect fish “in my opinion”

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any big fish that meed a tank bigger than a 55 gallon, as much as beautiful as they are.. the tank i have at home can’t support them :/

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pic on R2R that shows the topics getting attention and that drew me to this thread showed a Starkii Damsel. What's wrong with Starkii damsels? And I'm thinking this is one of the few damsels that is reef safe. That and sapphire Damsels. I have both in my reef tanks. And yes they are model citizens.
Fish I have put in my reef tank and would never again would agree with others. Six line wrasse-nice at first and turned into a real jerk. I was fortunate that he swam into my overflow- I gave him away. Aiptasia eating filefish. Did a great job on the aiptasia, then moved on to my other anemones, zoas, shrooms. Got rid of him too.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%

Back