Fishless cycle can not get Nitrite or Nitrate down!

OneMerissa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I think I have read all on R2R regarding the fishless cycle but nothing I see that hits the nail on the head with my issue. I did Dr. Tims' one and only fishless cycle. Here's where I'm at: - Followed the directions to a Tee. I have a 32 gl LED Biocube. I used RODI water and Instant ocean sea salt - 1.025 salinity
On Day 1 - set up the tank and added live sand - added Dr. Tim's One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria, and the proper amount of first defense, and dosed half the ammonia stated on the bottle as per the instructions if you have live sand. - API testing kit
Testing has gone as such: (note - from day 1 - 3/6/22 salinity has remained at 1.025 - PH has gone from 7.9-8.1 back and forth from day 1 - to today 3/28/22 - 23 days so far)
Day 2 - salinity 1.025 - temp 79.8 F - PH 7.9 - - Ammonia - .50 - Nitrite 0.0 - Nitrate - 0.0
Day 3 Ammonia - .50 Nitrate - 0.0 Nitrate - 0.0 *** added ammonia per instructions (4 drops per gallon)
Day 4 Ammonia - .50 Nitrite - 0.0 Nitrate - 0.0
Day 5 Ammonia - 2.0 - Nitrite - 0.0 Nitrate 5.0
Day 6 Ammonia - 2.0 - Nitrite - 0.0 Nitrate 10.0 *** added ammonia per instructions (4 drops per gallon)
Day 7 Ammonia - 2.0 - Nitrite - .25 Nitrate 10.0
Day 8 Ammonia - 2.5 - Nitrite - .25 Nitrate 10.0
Day 9 Ammonia - 2.5 - Nitrite - .25 Nitrate 10.0
Day 10 Ammonia - 3.0 - Nitrite - 1.0 Nitrate 40.0
Day 11 Ammonia - 2.5 - Nitrite - 2.0 Nitrate 40.0
Day 12 Ammonia - 2.5 - Nitrite - 2.5 Nitrate 40.0
Day 13 Ammonia - 2.0 - Nitrite - 5.0 Nitrate 160 ***API only reads to 5.0 and 160 respectively so idk how high it was
Day 14 Ammonia - 1.0 - Nitrite - 5.0 Nitrate 160 ***API only reads to 5.0 and 160 respectively so idk how high it was
Day 15 Ammonia - .50 - Nitrite - 5.0 Nitrate 160 ***API only reads to 5.0 and 160 respectively so idk how high it was
Day 16 Ammonia - .25 - Nitrite - 5.0 Nitrate 160 ***API only reads to 5.0 and 160 respectively so idk how high it was
Day 17 through - day 20 - Ammonia - 0.0 - Nitrite - 5.0 Nitrate 160 ***API only reads to 5.0 and 160 respectively so idk how high it was
Day 20 - I did a 30% water change - tested 5 hours later - same as above Ammonia 0.0 Nitrite 5.0 Nitrate 160
Day 21 - Ammonia 0.0 - Nitrite STILL 5.0 or more - Nitrate DOWN to 70
Day 22 - Ammonia 0.0 - Nitrite STILL 5.0 or more - Nitrate DOWN to 20
Day 23 - YESTERDAY Ammonia 0.0 - Nitrite STILL 5.0 or more - Nitrate UP 80

Now what??? Sorry this was so long, but what to do?? Just wait? More of a WC? More bacteria?? More ammonia? And remember I have NO livestock... any help would be awesome, I'm so frustrated!!! xoxxoox peace and love, peace and love

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The presence of nitrites, makes nitrate testing useless.

Nitrites are not toxic in the levels we see during cycling to be harmful to SW fish.

I would say your cycle is done. You processed the ammonia, and are just waiting for the nitrite bacteria to populate. Add your first inhabitant, then slowly stock from there.

OP
OP
OneMerissa

OneMerissa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The presence of nitrites, makes nitrate testing useless.

Nitrites are not toxic in the levels we see during cycling to be harmful to SW fish.

I would say your cycle is done. You processed the ammonia, and are just waiting for the nitrite bacteria to populate. Add your first inhabitant, then slowly stock from there.
I was thinking the same! Is it wise to re-dose ammonia to 2.0 ppm and see if it reaches 0 in 24 hours first? i was hoping to get two clowns this weekend - i'd just feel awful if I killed them!!

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad idea, and how we used to do it in the old days. I know current trends say not to do that.

Personally(I'm old school), I would dose back up to 2ppm, wait for it to clear(hopefully 24 hours), then do a large water change(as large as you can do, 100% would be awesome), then add your clowns.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same! Is it wise to re-dose ammonia to 2.0 ppm and see if it reaches 0 in 24 hours first? i was hoping to get two clowns this weekend - i'd just feel awful if I killed them!!
Yes you absolutely can dose ammonia to 2.0ppm and make sure your tank reduces to 0 after 24 hours. That way you know for sure your tank is safe for fish. Just stick to the two clowns for a month or two until your nitrites hit 0, then only add one fish a month.

OP
OP
OneMerissa

OneMerissa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad idea, and how we used to do it in the old days. I know current trends say not to do that.

Personally(I'm old school), I would dose back up to 2ppm, wait for it to clear(hopefully 24 hours), then do a large water change(as large as you can do, 100% would be awesome), then add your clowns.
Sounds like a plan! We can do 90-100 for sure!

OP
OP
OneMerissa

OneMerissa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you absolutely can dose ammonia to 2.0ppm and make sure your tank reduces to 0 after 24 hours. That way you know for sure your tank is safe for fish. Just stick to the two clowns for a month or two until your nitrites hit 0, then only add one fish a month.
cool, i'll dose tonight then... what are your thoughts on the 90-100% water change?

OP
OP
OneMerissa

OneMerissa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW...

I had a biocube many moons ago, great little tanks to start with. The upgrade to the LED lighting means you can keep a wider assortment of corals then you previously could with the old t8 bulbs.
It seems the new biocube has pretty good LED lights now, but we shall see. Im so excited to be a fish keeper and not a water keeper any longer. Everyone here has been great!

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the new biocube has pretty good LED lights now, but we shall see. Im so excited to be a fish keeper and not a water keeper any longer. Everyone here has been great!
Woh, hold up there......

Take the hobby from being a water keeper perspective, rather then a fish keeper. The better the water is kept, the healthier the specimens living in it will be.

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a bio cube 32 that I started with live sand and live rock.

My QT is a simple 10 gallon with a tidal 55 HOB.

For what it’s worth, I’ve used BioSpira in both my DT and QT and have not had any issues getting the nitrates and nitrites to where they need to be after even a couple of days. It might be worth a shot using a different bacteria in a bottle.

You may want to consider setting up a quarantine tank. my total cost was about $100 and you sound like you’re gonna be the kind of person who really wants to make sure your fish are healthy. the minute you go shopping for fish and start seeing the condition of some tanks and reading posts about quarantining and fish disease you’re probably gonna regret not quarantining your first fish. And honestly I found the QT way less stressful than my DT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OneMerissa

OneMerissa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woh, hold up there......

Take the hobby from being a water keeper perspective, rather then a fish keeper. The better the water is kept, the healthier the specimens living in it will be.
WOW you are totally correct!!! What a great perspective thanks!!!

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool, i'll dose tonight then... what are your thoughts on the 90-100% water change?
Can never hurt, especially with nothing living in the tank yet. Your beneficial bacteria live on and in the rocks and substrate. Changing the water will remove most of the nitrite you seeing when testing.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woh, hold up there......

100%

We are keepers of water. Keep the water right everything else will fall in.

OP
OP
OneMerissa

OneMerissa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a bio cube 32 that I started with live sand and live rock.

My QT is a simple 10 gallon with a tidal 55 HOB.

For what it’s worth, I’ve used BioSpira in both my DT and QT and have not had any issues getting the nitrates and nitrites to where they need to be after even a couple of days. It might be worth a shot using a different bacteria in a bottle.

You may want to consider setting up a quarantine tank. my total cost was about $100 and you sound like you’re gonna be the kind of person who really wants to make sure your fish are healthy. the minute you go shopping for fish and start seeing the condition of some tanks and reading posts about quarantining and fish disease you’re probably gonna regret not quarantining your first fish. And honestly I found the QT way less stressful than my DT.
I am such a softie, i would hate to kill a fish just bc I was impatient or did something dumb!

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I think I have read all on R2R regarding the fishless cycle but nothing I see that hits the nail on the head with my issue. I did Dr. Tims' one and only fishless cycle. Here's where I'm at: - Followed the directions to a Tee. I have a 32 gl LED Biocube. I used RODI water and Instant ocean sea salt - 1.025 salinity
On Day 1 - set up the tank and added live sand - added Dr. Tim's One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria, and the proper amount of first defense, and dosed half the ammonia stated on the bottle as per the instructions if you have live sand. - API testing kit
Testing has gone as such: (note - from day 1 - 3/6/22 salinity has remained at 1.025 - PH has gone from 7.9-8.1 back and forth from day 1 - to today 3/28/22 - 23 days so far)
Day 2 - salinity 1.025 - temp 79.8 F - PH 7.9 - - Ammonia - .50 - Nitrite 0.0 - Nitrate - 0.0
Day 3 Ammonia - .50 Nitrate - 0.0 Nitrate - 0.0 *** added ammonia per instructions (4 drops per gallon)
Day 4 Ammonia - .50 Nitrite - 0.0 Nitrate - 0.0
Day 5 Ammonia - 2.0 - Nitrite - 0.0 Nitrate 5.0
Day 6 Ammonia - 2.0 - Nitrite - 0.0 Nitrate 10.0 *** added ammonia per instructions (4 drops per gallon)
Day 7 Ammonia - 2.0 - Nitrite - .25 Nitrate 10.0
Day 8 Ammonia - 2.5 - Nitrite - .25 Nitrate 10.0
Day 9 Ammonia - 2.5 - Nitrite - .25 Nitrate 10.0
Day 10 Ammonia - 3.0 - Nitrite - 1.0 Nitrate 40.0
Day 11 Ammonia - 2.5 - Nitrite - 2.0 Nitrate 40.0
Day 12 Ammonia - 2.5 - Nitrite - 2.5 Nitrate 40.0
Day 13 Ammonia - 2.0 - Nitrite - 5.0 Nitrate 160 ***API only reads to 5.0 and 160 respectively so idk how high it was
Day 14 Ammonia - 1.0 - Nitrite - 5.0 Nitrate 160 ***API only reads to 5.0 and 160 respectively so idk how high it was
Day 15 Ammonia - .50 - Nitrite - 5.0 Nitrate 160 ***API only reads to 5.0 and 160 respectively so idk how high it was
Day 16 Ammonia - .25 - Nitrite - 5.0 Nitrate 160 ***API only reads to 5.0 and 160 respectively so idk how high it was
Day 17 through - day 20 - Ammonia - 0.0 - Nitrite - 5.0 Nitrate 160 ***API only reads to 5.0 and 160 respectively so idk how high it was
Day 20 - I did a 30% water change - tested 5 hours later - same as above Ammonia 0.0 Nitrite 5.0 Nitrate 160
Day 21 - Ammonia 0.0 - Nitrite STILL 5.0 or more - Nitrate DOWN to 70
Day 22 - Ammonia 0.0 - Nitrite STILL 5.0 or more - Nitrate DOWN to 20
Day 23 - YESTERDAY Ammonia 0.0 - Nitrite STILL 5.0 or more - Nitrate UP 80

Now what??? Sorry this was so long, but what to do?? Just wait? More of a WC? More bacteria?? More ammonia? And remember I have NO livestock... any help would be awesome, I'm so frustrated!!! xoxxoox peace and love, peace and love
Ok I am not going to read other answers. I am absolutely confident in my answers as I went through the entire procedure. You are doing fine except you did not mention what else you are doing. Are the lights on? If so turn them off. Do you have a skimmer running. If not get one. Mine took 4 months.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I am not going to read other answers. I am absolutely confident in my answers as I went through the entire procedure. You are doing fine except you did not mention what else you are doing. Are the lights on? If so turn them off. Do you have a skimmer running. If not get one. Mine took 4 months.

Your rushing for no reason unless you are terminally Ill
4 months to cycle a tank? Who's terminally ill??

Once ammonia clears, a tank is technically cycled, and ready for its first inhabitants. Which IME can take anywhere from 24 hours to a couple days. It should never take months to cycle a tank.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 months to cycle a tank? Who's terminally ill??

Once ammonia clears, a tank is technically cycled, and ready for its first inhabitants. Which IME can take anywhere from 24 hours to a couple days. It should never take months to cycle a tank.
Sorry 2 months . Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Don't have to resort to stone throwing just shows your weakness . And I do mean it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back