Fishless cycle can not get Nitrite or Nitrate down!

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 months to cycle a tank? Who's terminally ill??

Once ammonia clears, a tank is technically cycled, and ready for its first inhabitants. Which IME can take anywhere from 24 hours to a couple days. It should never take months to cycle a tank.
Wrong again. I am on another post after my long journey. Now have lightds on which I noticed you did not comment on, and also whether there is a skimmer running. Quit with your knee yerk opinion. I am returning the rock you please QUIT! The person has asked for opinion let others chime in. They have heard enough from us, and need some guidance not 2 people arguing about who is correct

OP
OP
OneMerissa

OneMerissa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!! Let’s all be nice! And I thank you all for the wonderful advice. I’ve had a skimmer (coralife one that came with the tank bundle. point of sale, IMO) running since day three of my cycle. I did not mention that I started with Caribesea life rock, about 30 lbs. also about a “gallon” of Ceramic media balls that I bought on Amazon. I ran nothing else in my media basket until just about two days ago I put some filter floss on the first tier …I have only turn the lights on to take the picture. Other than that, the lights of been off. But unbelievably good news today! I came home and tested and the nitrates or down to .25!!! I am unbelievably stoked and feel a heck of a lot better about the whole situation now!! Again thank you all for the conversation it’s been so enlightening. I’m gonna redose to 2 PPM tonight of ammonia and see where we are tomorrow. I will definitely get some clown fish this weekend!! Peace and love peace and love

Attachments

• BEF643C3-5E3F-4ADD-8DA5-C5F3E4768DDB.jpeg
    BEF643C3-5E3F-4ADD-8DA5-C5F3E4768DDB.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 68

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!! Let’s all be nice! And I thank you all for the wonderful advice. I’ve had a skimmer (coralife one that came with the tank bundle. point of sale, IMO) running since day three of my cycle. I did not mention that I started with Caribesea life rock, about 30 lbs. also about a “gallon” of Ceramic media balls that I bought on Amazon. I ran nothing else in my media basket until just about two days ago I put some filter floss on the first tier …I have only turn the lights on to take the picture. Other than that, the lights of been off. But unbelievably good news today! I came home and tested and the nitrates or down to .25!!! I am unbelievably stoked and feel a heck of a lot better about the whole situation now!! Again thank you all for the conversation it’s been so enlightening. I’m gonna redose to 2 PPM tonight of ammonia and see where we are tomorrow. I will definitely get some clown fish this weekend!! Peace and love peace and love
Sadly …
Nitrates don’t just drop without exporting them some how .
I’m assuming he you meant nitrites ?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong again. I am on another post after my long journey. Now have lightds on which I noticed you did not comment on, and also whether there is a skimmer running. Quit with your knee yerk opinion. I am returning the rock you please QUIT! The person has asked for opinion let others chime in. They have heard enough from us, and need some guidance not 2 people arguing about who is correct
I never meant to hurt your feelings, it was your words(terminally ill comment). More of a "tongue in cheek comment". It was meant to be all in good fun.

We all cycle tanks differently(lights on or off, certain equipment on or off, etc), but even starting with dry rock, and no bottled bacteria, a cycle should never take a couple months to complete.

@brandon429 has this cycle business down to a science, and it never takes him that long to cycle a tank.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never meant to hurt your feelings, it was your words(terminally ill comment). More of a "tongue in cheek comment". It was meant to be all in good fun.

We all cycle tanks differently(lights on or off, certain equipment on or off, etc), but even starting with dry rock, and no bottled bacteria, a cycle should never take a couple months to complete.

@brandon429 has this cycle business down to a science, and it never takes him that long to cycle a tank.
Just concerned how we present ourselves to some one new. Don't want them to form a bad opinion, and wonder why they ever joined. Have to admit my words were chosen badly. I only meant to imply What is the Rush. Cannot explain why it took so long. Even the article stated 30 - 45 days. As I said what's the rush. I was hoping to avoid a huge ugly stage. Did not work out perfectly. Buy knew to expect some grief, and was not disappointed what the heck the results

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just concerned how we present ourselves to some one new. Don't want them to form a bad opinion, and wonder why they ever joined. Have to admit my words were chosen badly. I only meant to imply What is the Rush. Cannot explain why it took so long. Even the article stated 30 - 45 days. As I said what's the rush. I was hoping to avoid a huge ugly stage. Did not work out perfectly. Buy knew to expect some grief, and was not disappointed what the heck the results
I don’t think there is a way to avoid uglies .
nature is a funny thing . There is no way to manipulate what needs to happen !
Make the best of a bad situation and look forward to tomorrow .

Happy reefing !

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait another month. Be patient. It looks like you're ready to start dumping fish in the tank the second nitrites are zero.

OP
OP
OneMerissa

OneMerissa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The tank is cycled!! 0 ammonia and o nitrite for days! Re-dosed ammonia up to 2 ppm and all cycled in 24 hrs!! Now we have two onyx percula clownfish - Jim and Pam!’

Attachments

• F8984BE1-9C63-4D36-B139-EDE46D8404C3.jpeg
    F8984BE1-9C63-4D36-B139-EDE46D8404C3.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 77B7F090-F581-46F9-9939-45362901AC32.jpeg
    77B7F090-F581-46F9-9939-45362901AC32.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 54
  • EB7B3344-BD28-4CB9-B07F-4DFB73A2DD28.jpeg
    EB7B3344-BD28-4CB9-B07F-4DFB73A2DD28.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 63

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 months to cycle a tank? Who's terminally ill??

Once ammonia clears, a tank is technically cycled, and ready for its first inhabitants. Which IME can take anywhere from 24 hours to a couple days. It should never take months to cycle a tank.

SW fish and corals are too expensive to risk throwing them in an uncycled tank. What's the rush?Tossing fish in a tank in 24 hours to a couple days is as irresponsible as those clowns Wayde and Brett saying they can instantly cycle a huge aquarium. For corals, I wait a good 4-6 months. Nitrogen cycling is not the only thing that needs time to stabilize.

OP
OP
OneMerissa

OneMerissa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SW fish and corals are too expensive to risk throwing them in an uncycled tank. What's the rush?Tossing fish in a tank in 24 hours to a couple days is as irresponsible as those clowns Wayde and Brett saying they can instantly cycle a huge aquarium. For corals, I wait a good 4-6 months. Nitrogen cycling is not the only thing that needs time to stabilize.
No no no. I cycled it for 4 plus weeks.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no no. I cycled it for 4 plus weeks.
As long as there was sufficient ammonia to be processed and maintained throughout the 4 weeks I would believe your tank is cycled .
but . A tank can run for years not cycled and just stagnant water if there isn’t any ammonia to be processed to start .

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started our upgrade 3 weeks ago "reefer 450" 100 pounds carib sea special grade sand, 120 pounds carib sea painted dead rock, 20 pounds figi LIVE rock in sump and some nasty filter socks. Ran the system 2 weeks no lights just tons of flow. Week 3 lights on low, 3 hardy frags, school of 5 chromis and a small CUC. Everybody happy! I know little of this relates to a nano but after reading this thread I feel that good advice should always be welcomed but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is cycled and your fish will thrive.

The people saying you need months to cycle a tank for fish is clearly just using their speculation with no actual science behind their false claims.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back