Notty74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I know everyone will be bored of the fish-less cycling questions and I sincerely apologise in advance.
I have a 300L tank. I’ve been setting up since July. I have the aqua scape in place, made from dry rock. The sand is in place and the saltwater has been added. The salinity is perfect.
I decided to do the dr Tim’s cycle and added the bacteria as required and then the ammonia cycle. It’s been three weeks and the ammonia level hasn’t gone down. If I’m honest it’s off the chart. I spoke with a shop and they said to add Pure Reef Balance balls. Which I have done. The ammonia level is still too high.
Could someone tell me what I’m missing or if I should add an alternative bacteria like Fritz Turbo please.

Thank you all for your time

OP
OP
N

Notty74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using? What is the ammonia level? Did you check for nitrates? Add nitrifying bacteria.
I’m using the red sea marine care test kit. The ammonia is darker in colour than 2 at present. Nitrites are at zero.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 33

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites are irrelevant in reefing. It's only nitrates and ammonia that need testing during cycling. Unless you really overdosed the ammonia during start up I'm not sure how it got that high but you may want a second test opinion at your LFS. Dose nitrifying bacteria to bring it down and promote nitrates production.

OP
OP
N

Notty74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites are irrelevant in reefing. It's only nitrates and ammonia that need testing during cycling. Unless you really overdosed the ammonia during start up I'm not sure how it got that high but you may want a second test opinion at your LFS. Dose nitrifying bacteria to bring it down and promote nitrates production.
Should I do a large water change? Or does that defeat the object? Or just add nitrifying bacteria? Any you recommend. I appreciate your help.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I do a large water change? Or does that defeat the object? Or just add nitrifying bacteria? Any you recommend. I appreciate your help.
Since you have no live stock it's fine to hold off the water change. Add some good nitrifying bacteria and see where you are after 24 hours. You should show measurable nitrates then.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi everyone,
I know everyone will be bored of the fish-less cycling questions and I sincerely apologise in advance.
I have a 300L tank. I’ve been setting up since July. I have the aqua scape in place, made from dry rock. The sand is in place and the saltwater has been added. The salinity is perfect.
I decided to do the dr Tim’s cycle and added the bacteria as required and then the ammonia cycle. It’s been three weeks and the ammonia level hasn’t gone down. If I’m honest it’s off the chart. I spoke with a shop and they said to add Pure Reef Balance balls. Which I have done. The ammonia level is still too high.
Could someone tell me what I’m missing or if I should add an alternative bacteria like Fritz Turbo please.

If you added ammonia Chloride, you should have/would have seen ammonia rise then fall. When the ammonia is zero and nitrate 20 or below also for 5 days steady - You are cycled. Fritz Turbo 900 is very good but get a second test result to compare with yours by taking water to an LFS that des not use Api tests and see what reading they get and to compare with yours

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Did the same thing as you. All I can suggest is be patient

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back