Fixing an EB832 with non-functional outlets but does have functional indicator lights

Coral Euphoria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. I suck at soldiering but I still managed. I bought my replacement off Amazon using the part the OP recommended:

Gazechimp AC-DC 12V 500mA Buck Converter:

It took 11 days to get here. While I was waiting, I bought another EB832 so that I could have a back-up. That way if it fails again, I could just switch it out and take my time with the repair (I have a lot of tanks).

Anyway, thanks again so much for the awesome post!

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone do this repair for a fee?
Yes. I do one better. Instead of replacing the board, I upgrade the capacitors on the board so that this failure doesn't happen again in the next 6 months or after a power outage.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I do one better. Instead of replacing the board, I upgrade the capacitors on the board so that this failure doesn't happen again in the next 6 months or after a power outage.

Thank you!!

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will get you rolling quick, but I recommend doing the capacitor replacement as documented by _AV if you are able. Best thing you can do is order 2 power supplies, one to fix your eb quick and one to modify with better capacitors

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will get you rolling quick, but I recommend doing the capacitor replacement as documented by _AV if you are able. Best thing you can do is order 2 power supplies, one to fix your eb quick and one to modify with better capacitors
Do you know the source for these components?
TIA

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of places have nothing in stock and I'm having a hard time finding a store that carries everything I need.

Can any EE's answer this for me? What is the difference between a UVC2G4R7MPD and UVC2G4R7MPD1TD?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, another of mine just blew despite being plugged into UPS since new 1.5-2 years ago. Hopefully it’s the typical 12v. I ordered the Noyito brand on Amazon (B07FNJZ1PR) so it’ll arrive in 2 day. Does anyone know if it is equivalent to the recommended PSU?

In the meantime I’ll install a good ol’ EB8, which seem to last 5x longer than the EB832s. Very frustrating.
2F699690-DDD3-470B-8ECB-446FDF5AD52B.jpeg

Last edited:

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the repair on one of mine and it does not work at all now. Even the low voltage ports are unresponsive.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up purchasing another EB832 to get me going immediately, but also repaired the old one so I would have a spare. I used the NOYITO 12v 500ma unit because it shipped with prime. The repair took about 10 minutes.

Symptoms:
  • Outlets do not output 120v
  • Neptune Logo is solid orange when connected to apex (Or flashing when disconnected)
  • LED outlet indicators function when plugged into Apex
  • There are no audible “Clicks” when EB832 is plugged in, or outlet changed in Fusion.
  • EB832 Displays 0v, 0w in Fusion.
  • When *Cautiously* opened while EB832 is plugged in to power, the internal red 12v PSU power indicator is extremely dim or off completely.
1. Remove 3 screws from back of EB832, then flip over and fold open EB832.

IMG_4591.jpeg

2. Fold up main PCB to access the back. Highlighted are 4 pins that require desoldering.

IMG_4580.jpeg

3. Desolder the 4 pins, and then pull off 12v power supply. If a pin is sticking, heat it up to soften solder while removing PSU. Below image is after using solder sucker tool, which makes the job easier.

IMG_4583.jpeg

4. Prepare new 12v PSU (Right) by soldering on the 4 pin headers. You can remove and reuse the old pin headers, or replace them.
IMG_4586.jpeg

5. Put replacement 12v PSU in place (three capacitors face inward) , solder the pins, and trim excess pin length.
IMG_4589.jpeg

6. Put PCB back in place, close top cover, and replace back 3 screws. Once plugged in you should audible hear clicks as the outlets turn on. (Assuming you had outlet fallback states to on position).

IMG_4592.jpeg

7. Once repair is confirmed, order another spare 12v supply to prepare for the next EB832 failure in 2-3 years. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Here is what the 12v indicator looked like before and after the repair. Before, it was hardly visible. After, it is bright and easy to see. (CAUTION: exposed 120v inside!)

Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 12.16.00 PM.png

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up purchasing another EB832 to get me going immediately, but also repaired the old one so I would have a spare. I used the NOYITO 12v 500ma unit because it shipped with prime.
That is the one I use as well, although the caps are not quality it's easy enough to swap out.. I too had to purchase an extra 832 as a backup, because this has happened 3 times now... I have 1 more 832 that is still holding strong with factory 12v circuit. but I'm sure the next power outage we have I will be replacing it.

Last time I bought those boards from amazon, I purchased 4 of them just to have on hand.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the one I use as well, although the caps are not quality it's easy enough to swap out.. I too had to purchase an extra 832 as a backup, because this has happened 3 times now... I have 1 more 832 that is still holding strong with factory 12v circuit. but I'm sure the next power outage we have I will be replacing it.

Last time I bought those boards from amazon, I purchased 4 of them just to have on hand.

I was happy to see that the replacement EB832 (MNF 12/2021) has a Meanwell PSU, Part# IRM-05-12. The Meanwell has a lower output rating than the Noyito (.42A vs .5A), but I assume no-name PSU ratings are inflated and that the Meanwell will perform much better over time.

I might apply a conformal coating to the back of the 24v PSU as well as the cooling fan PCB. Between the Meanwell PSU and conformal coating, I will have a bullet-proof EB832!

tempImagekUg3Ud.jpg

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a somewhat complicated installation utilizing 6 Energybars. Last night ,with the briefest flicker of the lights, I lost my 9th EB832 in 5 years…

This thread has been a blessing!
91467086-040D-4D4F-8844-9F5DE07E8213.jpeg

Glad to see Neptune Systems has finally stepped up and replaced the PSU. Does anyone know if the underlying circuit board was changed? Are the Meanwell supplies a direct replacement for the older boards.

Thanks again @MadeForThat For starting this thread!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what type of screws are used on the enclosure? I started this about a year and half ago and just finished today lol! It appears to be fixed, but need to be able to close it up. Thanks!

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what type of screws are used on the enclosure? I started this about a year and half ago and just finished today lol! It appears to be fixed, but need to be able to close it up. Thanks!
QRAFTWORKS Stainless Steel Round Head Self Tapping Screws Assortment Set 190 PCS, M3/M4/M5 304 Stainless Steel Phillips Drive Screw Kit (Round Head) for Wood, Sheet Metal, Plastic and Fiberglass https://a.co/d/j9YFbCQ
One of these aught to do it, almost certainly not the same screws but they would probably work well enough. Otherwise an ace hardware will help you find the right screw.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back