Flame hawkfish with gobies?

Acanthurus1517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
So I’ve been checking out various fish I can add to my 55 gallon reef to round things off. One of the fish I’ve been looking at is the flame hawkfish and I saw that Matthew recommended this fish in a stock list similar to mine for a 40 gallon reef on the BRS channel. I would really like to add one to my own tank for their color and personality, but something I realized I should reckon with is the fact that I have 2 gobies already in the tank (a yellow watchman and a neon to be exact) and I’m worried things wont go down well with the hawk if I get one. Is there anything I can do to prevent predation? Maybe get a small hawk and feed it heavily? Or should I just go with something else? Any and all advice is appreciated!

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
So I’ve been checking out various fish I can add to my 55 gallon reef to round things off. One of the fish I’ve been looking at is the flame hawkfish and I saw that Matthew recommended this fish in a stock list similar to mine for a 40 gallon reef on the BRS channel. I would really like to add one to my own tank for their color and personality, but something I realized I should reckon with is the fact that I have 2 gobies already in the tank (a yellow watchman and a neon to be exact) and I’m worried things wont go down well with the hawk if I get one. Is there anything I can do to prevent predation? Maybe get a small hawk and feed it heavily? Or should I just go with something else? Any and all advice is appreciated!

What about a long nose hawkfish instead of a flame hawk? Or are you set on the flame hawk?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of the fish is the only thing that will prevent predation. If the goby is small enough or the hawk is large enough then it will be over.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a flamehawk with my mandarin and a yasha goby that was just removed from my Mia list with a miraculous appearance on the back side of the reef. I fed the tank and I saw this white flash. I was like ok…hmmmm, there u are, only been a month. Lol

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOM NOM

ZomboMeme 24022022174042.jpg

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case you wouldn't have to worry about predation on your gobies, but depending on your hawk you may have to watch some of your cleanup crew.

PXL_20220122_001441012.jpg

I love my hawk, very glad I got him. Tons of personality, and he's watching.. always watching.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longnose is the choice, or a geometric pygmy hawk (not a real hawkfish but similar shape and personality to flame yet smaller at only 2". The longnose is safer with the neon but the watchman is 100% safe with all of these.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back