FLamethrower Chalice

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my second Chalice today, my tank is mostly SPS the last few years. I saw this a few weeks ago and couldn't pass it up when I saw it was still at my LFS today. Lol Phone Picture isn't as bright as the coral actually is.

VkILu0VZ_o.jpg

OP
OP
Finhead

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @watchguy123 and @DSC reef I couldn't stop thinking I needed this in my tank. LOL Hope they like lots of light, bottom of my tank is around 250 ish on the edge.
Any special care for these guys to keep them happy and growing well? I'm used to keeping SPS not LPS really other than a hammer and Octospawn.

OP
OP
Finhead

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the OG BPC Flamethrower too!!
Nice score, man!
You’re lucky your local lfs carries the dankness

Thanks @ChiCity , not sure what OG BPC is? Here's a top shot, again the yellow and red/magenta are far more vibrant in person. My phone takes crappy pics in 14K lighting. lol

flD50Bgk_o.jpg

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It was a strain of rainbow chalice from back in the day...
Your first picture looked like it was showing some blues, which is why I was thinking it might of been the bpc.

OP
OP
Finhead

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a strain of rainbow chalice from back in the day...
Your first picture looked like it was showing some blues, which is why I was thinking it might of been the bpc.

It def has a hint of blue in it, just my phone does not capture blue at all. Thanks for the info.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t get my post in until after dsc reef. My thoughts are pretty much the same as his.

IME, chalices are generally easy corals to thrive. They don’t need or want high light requirements and they don’t need or want strong flow. Somewhere in the bottom third of the tank without overly forceful flow is generally a good location. Some chalices however prefer dimmer conditions and do well with some shading. If it looks unhappy wherever you have placed it, then you will need to move it and as said usually a shadier spot. Some chalices will tolerate higher light and its fun to be creative with their location. The most frustrating part, if you can’t get it happy relatively quickly in your tank, they can fail relatively soon.

BPC Flamethrower was/is a beautiful chalice. I believe it has an orange/yellow rim as well

OP
OP
Finhead

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t get my post in until after dsc reef. My thoughts are pretty much the same as his.

IME, chalices are generally easy corals to thrive. They don’t need or want high light requirements and they don’t need or want strong flow. Somewhere in the bottom third of the tank without overly forceful flow is generally a good location. Some chalices however prefer dimmer conditions and do well with some shading. If it looks unhappy wherever you have placed it, then you will need to move it and as said usually a shadier spot. Some chalices will tolerate higher light and its fun to be creative with their location. The most frustrating part, if you can’t get it happy relatively quickly in your tank, they can fail relatively soon.

BPC Flamethrower was/is a beautiful chalice. I believe it has an orange/yellow rim as well

Thanks for the info, my tank is only 12" deep (42X22.5X12) so the light is farily uniform from mid to bottom. I'll watch it and put it under a ledge if it starts bleaching or lightening up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back