Flasher Wrasse acclimation from LiveAquaria

WVfishguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I NEVER put a sealed bag in water. Plastic is semi-permeable if it's in air; water seals it, and CO2 build up and causes brain/organ damage. You can put a bag of fish on a shelf and they will live for many days. Place the same bag in water and they will be dead in a few hours. I NEVER float, and I've been doing this for 50 years. I took care of 100 aquariums when I was running my maintenance company. With freshwater, I make sure the tank temps are higher than the water in the bag, then net them out and place fish in the QT. Saltwater fish get placed in an open container with bag water, and water from the QT is dripped (pretty quickly) into the container via an air hose. When the water doubles in volume, I net the fish out and place it in freshwater (NOT clownfish) for up to 10 minutes, or until stress is apparent. Then it goes in the QT.
My method comes from a university study in Japan (Tokyo?) I read nearly 40 years ago. I actually experimented with feeder fish, and the Japanese were correct. I've used this method ever since. Keep in mind, for more than 20 years, aquarium maintenance was my ONLY source of living - it was not a hobby.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back