Flasher Wrasse compatibility

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Hope this find you well. I have a 50cm Cube (125L) and I’ll keep a Flasher Wrasse in the future (between McCosker and Carpenteri).

Which other Wrasse could be a good choice along with Carpenteri or McCosker? Or, can I keep both together?

Thank you in advance.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a sixline, melanarus or bicolor cleaner wrasse.
Six lines with other wrasses units large tanks is risky enough but in small tanks it’s very unlikely to work.
I agree with the above, this size is a bit small for most wrasses long term, stick to a pink streak or wetmorella species

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six lines with other wrasses units large tanks is risky enough but in small tanks it’s very unlikely to work.
I agree with the above, this size is a bit small for most wrasses long term, stick to a pink streak or wetmorella species
I had my sixline in with a half dozen other fish (including cleaner and leopard wrasses) in a 25-gallon and it was absolutely fine. YMMV of course - maybe I won the wrasse lottery on my sixline...

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a sixline, melanarus or bicolor cleaner wrasse.
Definitely not a sixline wrasse. Six line wrasse is of the genus of wrasse that should not be mixed with other wrasses. I don't remember where I saw it or when but I read this great write up about all thing wrasses from compatibility to collecting in the wild to you name it. In that article it was said by any expert in wrasses that the genus Pseudocheilinus should never ever be mixed with other wrasses of any genus including of the same. Well just so happens that the 6line is of that genus.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know where this rabid fear of this fish originated. I've had a sixline for 2 years, it has and continues to get along with a multitude of wrasses. One of the best fish in my tank - there hasn't been even a hint of a problem.

I guess I won the sixline lottery...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know where this rabid fear of this fish originated. I've had a sixline for 2 years, it has and continues to get along with a multitude of wrasses. One of the best fish in my tank - there hasn't been even a hint of a problem.

The countless amount of second hand stories is where it came from.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone follows the fish and wrasse experts @evolved and @eatbreakfast you will realize that six lines are a whole other level of mean.

For every person with a nice sixline, there are probably a dozen others struggling to get theirs out.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone follows the fish and wrasse experts @evolved and @eatbreakfast you will realize that six lines are a whole other level of mean.

For every person with a nice sixline, there are probably a dozen others struggling to get theirs out.
Although I’ve never had a bad sixline (In the smaller to the medium sized tanks, they have been perfect for me). I have certainly heard a ton of first hand and second hand stories of these guys being monsters.
I have owned Atleast 5 if not more in the past and none of them were bed but I feel like this is due to the amount of rock I had (It was piles of rock with a few caves, but the rock was porous and added even more ledges, caves, crevices ect for hiding).

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I'm curious as to the underlying cause?
They're typically very territorial. It's often not just with other wrasses, but sometimes even with just other fish with a similar shape or that occupy a similar niche. In terms of why, I suspect it's most likely due to the fact that they are not haremic and tend to live more solitarily than most species of smaller wrasse commonly kept. (Although that's just speculative based on their behavior)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last six line I had about 10 years ago, eventually killed every fish in the tank till it was the last fish. Made it easy to catch!

Have never tried another since. Beautiful fish, just mean as heck. IME

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for something nicer than a six line, Look at the Pseudocheilinops wrasse that does the same job and has much more of a personality.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same here my 6 line digs his 4 wrasse friends in my tank. Elite pest hunter and model citizen.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have flasher wrasse and I think your tank is too small, they love to actively swim in straight lines and 50cm is a short distance for them.
+1 to this - I missed the flasher wrasse part.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back