Flip's Reef

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah great vid the tank is looking great. Keep it up man. Still waiting for you to start the monster build! :)

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Yeah... I know... I just have too much going on right now to give a big tank the time it deserves to be engineered correctly. Ah well... I'll get there one day, I suppose.

On another note, I should have my WP-40's in this week sometime. I ordered some to test in my fuge. Wanna see if I can get some caulerpa to rock and roll. :D

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good...

IMG_20130416_205142_480_zps5bd5eda3.jpg

They seem to like it better in there and are eating well. ;)

I have to say, thanks for posting how you keep the blackworms like that. I used to have a tray system for them, decided to try your way. Works great! So much simpler to keep them. I just have an airstone, small pump for circulation and a couple sponges in the tank (on a short stand to keep them away from the worms). I put a handful of rock rubble in the bottom of the tank for the worms to congregate around, they seem to like having anchor points. Feed them sinking fish pellets a few times a week, do an 80% waterchange once a week (so easy on a 10 gallon freshwater tank!). I just take the sponges out and stir the water to get any detritus suspended before doing the waterchange. Had them going for a month and a half now, no problems at all. The main thing is to keep the water well oxygenated, probably why your worms ended up dying during the power outage.

My fish looove them, my copperband will attack the end of the turkey baster if the worms don't come out fast enough for her :) I also noticed that anemones go nuts for them too. Never seen my tube anemones respond so quickly to food the way they do with blackworms. BTA's love them too, grab the snack super fast...annoys the heck out of my clowns as their nice wavy home becomes a tight ball :) I have 2 BTA's in my sump with super low light that are actually growing from the blackworms alone...

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Cat! Always one-upping a reefin' brutha! ;)

LOL! I'm really flattered that you did so. My logic was kinda' like this. The rep at California Blackworms said that if they sink to the bottom, they can live in the gravel for lengthy periods of time. When they pop up from the gravel, it's like a FW fishes snack time. :) My thoughts were, why can't you just keep a FW tank to house them, then?

You sound like you perfected it, though. I'll incorporate your ideas into my 10g, too. I like the sponge idea, as well as the turkey baster (keeps our hands out of the water) and rubble at the bottom. Very cool ideas!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my canopy to "floating" status. I don't know why I waited so long, but it's done now (minus some cosmetics, like cleaning up wire runs).

2013-01-20_14-38-53_778.jpg

This is before.

913CE414-1554-4196-82DD-9B1A0FE8A596-5402-00000A974C1BEA21_zpsaeb4ce44.jpg

This is now.

See the difference? :D

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounted to the wall, and flips all the way up and out of the way when needed... Like this:

4C1BE826-ED79-45AA-AFE2-F015917B6BA7-5402-00000A972EB9CE3D_zps0618f498.jpg

I still need to come up with a better solution to hold the thing out of the way, when like that, though. That 2x4 probably could've earned me a Darwin, if I wasn't careful. LOL!

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you're saying things are going well!?!? Sick growth man and thanks for updating!

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for keeping up, bro! :) Yes, things are going as well as they can be, I suppose.

I do have some changes to report, though. Here's a list:

1. Removed refugium and all equipment from the garage which brought my system volume down to around 150g TWV.
2. Added a 40B frag tank recently with a LED light (to test how well it does).
3. Went from Calcium Reactor to 2 part with dosing pumps (no real reason).
4. No more UV sterilizer.
5. No more carbon/GFO reactors or media.
6. No more filter socks.
7. No refugium.

My tank requires about 20mins of maintenance every couple of weeks, and that's typically a water change. It's made the hobby a lot more fun for me.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice and great job!

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank requires about 20mins of maintenance every couple of weeks, and that's typically a water change. It's made the hobby a lot more fun for me.

That's what it's all about right there. Seems like things have adjusted well to the changes. Keep it up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back