Floating Canopies: Let's See 'Em!!!

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a new tank with a canopy, but it won't work with my ATI fixture. I was hoping to modify it to a floating canopy so I can keep my light concealed and still get my hands in the tank.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-was-a-fun-little-project-t5-retrofit.293496/#post-3582633

I used 1x6s for the frame, but would recommend 1x8 if not 1x10s (depending on which one would look better over your tank). I was limited on space because I hung it from the conduit frame I have over my tank, but wider lumber would keep things a little more concealed. It's not terrible, but you can see the guts of the thing when you're viewing the tank.

Looking forward to updates!

miah12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f7155ad437e0db6e33a5a387b4b55ac7.jpg

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see how you tied it in to the ceiling. How is it fastened to the canopy itself? Is the back of the canopy tied into the wall? thanks guys!

Yes, it is. The front support from the ceiling is just there to keep the canopy from sagging - especially when the inner drawer rack is pulled out. It was built using powder coated aluminum and skinned with cypress wood (very light weight). The canopy has an inner light rack (also powder coated aluminum) which is on a sliding drawer track that opens from the front for ease of light maintenance.

If interested, you can check out the details here: The Journey Continues - Mike & Terry's 280g Reef Savvy

jlancas81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liking this thread. I am thinking of hanging mine with a TV wall mount with an arm so it can be moved for maintenance. Anyone try this?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going for a lightweight floaty look but you can certainly see the T5 tubes when sitting in a chair near the tank. I may have to add some material in future. All made out of Hemlock, Watco Danish Oil Finish only.

IMG_6648.JPG IMG_6649.JPG IMG_6645.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back