Floor Not Level

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Floor - and newly built 2x4 DIY 48x18 stand when on the floor are out of level. its only about 1/16" off left to right, but its 3/8" dropping down from back to front.

I need to raise the front up about 3/8.

should i take out some screws and drop the back legs by 3/8?

shim under the bottom of the front bottom frame in a few spots?

shim under the top plywood?

or jack my floor joist up 3/8"?

kidding with that last one.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know exactly what your stand looks like but dropping the back legs sounds like a winner. I would want as much touching the floor as possible.

Where other people use shims I actually cut wood wedges to fill the entire space.

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i shimmed under the top frame on all 6 of the legs (on top of the legs, this way the point of contact is as full as it was everywhere.

top of stand is completely level....

but now im realizing the legs are not level. is this okay structurally? and i just have to deal with the looks of it? or wast the right thing to do to shim under the entire stand? i just didnt want the floor only touching the stand with shims. they would be the four feet. ( i know this is the proper way to shim under kitchen cabinets.

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i shimmed under the top frame on all 6 of the legs (on top of the legs, this way the point of contact is as full as it was everywhere.

top of stand is completely level....

but now im realizing the legs are not level. is this okay structurally? and i just have to deal with the looks of it? or wast the right thing to do to shim under the entire stand? i just didnt want the floor only touching the stand with shims. they would be the four feet. ( i know this is the proper way to shim under kitchen cabinets.
Personally I would shim underneath the bottom of the stand but I’m sure your way would be fine too.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used trim-able toilet shims, never have to worry about them rotting. Trimming the stand can be tricky, and give you problems if you move the tank.

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used composite shims under the bottom 4 legs (on top the bottom frame. Now top is level and legs are level. And bottom frame is fully on the floor. This worked out well.

I first filled up 3 5 gallon buckets with water and put on the top of the stand. Without that I couldn’t get a consistent level reading.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back