Floor support question

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm thinking about setting up a waterbox 100.3 in the office and wanted to get some thoughts on if the floor would support the weight. I googled 100 gal saltwater and it says its 850lbs but then you have sand, rock, etc so maybe about 1000lbs to be safe. Take a look at the picture and let me know if I should be OK or not. Thanks for any help.

tank position.JPG

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone can definitively give you an answer without a full inspection of all structure. That said, a 100 gallons on relatively new construction with a steel beam directly below on the wall edge.....I'd do it. I've done it with a 90 gallon DT/50 gallon sump without issue (although I did sister the existing beams), and my tank was parallel to the joists..

Now one thing that potentially is bothering me is whether or not there are squash blocks above that steel beam. It's too dark to see and tell. Google it if you're not sure what I'm talking about. Squash blocks keep wood I-beams from "squashing" from point loads. The steel beam creates a point load. If they're not there, please simply install them.

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren't any squash blocks that I can see the steel beam goes right onto the wood. How would I install blocks?

My only concern would be the back of the tank will be right under them posts and beam but the tank will be sticking out 2ft so the front of the tank will not. Is that an issue or not I guess is the question?

20210924_130203.jpg

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that the 850 lbs is just 100 gal of saltwater. Does not include the tank/stand/sump/equipment/sand/rock/etc. Unfortunately Waterbox does not include weights in their 'Tech Specs'.

That being said the stand is about 36"x24" = 864 sq"

1500 lbs (high estimate) / 864 = 1.73 lb/sq in. Which is not a lot.

I would not worry about that loading, but I'm not a structural engineer.

I don't suppose you have the engineering blueprints for your house? :)

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't have blueprints, unfortunately. I guess it's good I have them steel posts. I think it should be fine also, but as you said I'm not a structural engineer either. I was hoping maybe there might be some on here lol.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren't any squash blocks that I can see the steel beam goes right onto the wood. How would I install blocks?

My only concern would be the back of the tank will be right under them posts and beam but the tank will be sticking out 2ft so the front of the tank will not. Is that an issue or not I guess is the question?

20210924_130203.jpg

Squash blocks are very easy to add after the fact. Now I haven't been involved in commercial construction since the mid 90's, but I'd swear that the residential code required them on all point loads of wood I-beams. Anyway, HERE's the first link that popped up on my search explaining squash blocks. I usually used scrap wood, but a couple 2x4's should be good enough for your application.

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I add those blocks what would be the biggest tank I could go with you think?

I the grand scheme of $$$$ involved with a large tank, I would hire a structural engineer to give you an accurate assessment of the current load bearing capability and probably some inexpensive modifications that could increase the safe load.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back