Flow: Breaking the rules...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has taken some time, but the correct overflow for my 120 gallon display finally arrived and my son and I installed it today.

Triton recommends a 10x turnover of system volume. With a 125 gallon tank in the basement as a sump plus 120 gallon display, let's assume 220 gallons total. That's 2,200 GPH... with the new overflow and an Abyzz A400 return pump, 2,200 GPH is doable, but is it reasonable?

FWIW, I'm also using an MRC Orca Pro I external skimmer drawing ~350-400 GPH that circulates water from the sump return back to the head end of the sump, so there is a reasonable amount of flow through the refugium even without the aquarium.

Thoughts, opinions? I have an inkling of what I think I want to (should) do, but am interested in others input.

Thanks,

M

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has taken some time, but the correct overflow for my 120 gallon display finally arrived and my son and I installed it today.

Triton recommends a 10x turnover of system volume. With a 125 gallon tank in the basement as a sump plus 120 gallon display, let's assume 220 gallons total. That's 2,200 GPH... with the new overflow and an Abyzz A400 return pump, 2,200 GPH is doable, but is it reasonable?

FWIW, I'm also using an MRC Orca Pro I external skimmer drawing ~350-400 GPH that circulates water from the sump return back to the head end of the sump, so there is a reasonable amount of flow through the refugium even without the aquarium.

Thoughts, opinions? I have an inkling of what I think I want to (should) do, but am interested in others input.

Thanks,

M
I've got some restrictive return plumbing (inside the overflow) and I'm getting just 650gph with my Vectra L1 running at 100% power in my 120g display, giving me 5x flow.
I'm trying to up this and may try a Fluval SP6 instead which may have better head pressure.

But I think if you can at least get 5x, you'll be fine.
I believe the main reason Triton recommends such a high turnover is to make sure that parameters in the sump and parameters in the display are as equal as possible.

The big reason I'm trying to improve my turnover is to get more flow through my refugium and keep those macros moving/tumbling as much as I can.
And keep detritus from settling in there, which it does big time right now.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back