Flow question - thinking to add another pump

  • Thread starter Thread starter t5Nitro
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
2,031
Reaction score
1,428
Location
WI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 3ft x 2ft 75 gallon. XF330 maxspect gyre on the left horizontally, and on the right a tunze 6095 and jebao SOW-15.

Theyre all running between 50-100% gradual pulses. Debating adding another pump to my left glass to go with the gyre. Seems a lot of dead space. How much flow can I safely be running?

Looking at either another tunze or jebao vs thoughts on the reef octopus pulse 4 compared with tunze 6255 and MP40 or 60. Looking at a tank upgrade 66x36x18 in the future. Be nice to be upgrade proof of a pump.
 
I have heard that World Wide Corals runs flow at 100 times.
I figure that your flow is about half that or a bit more.
My flow is something over 60 times and I think my SPS would handle more.

I am a scuba diver and I have seen flows on reefs that far exceed anything I have seen in aquariums.

So if you want, you could give it a shot.
 
Effectiveness via random flow and being where the corals are is more important than a turnover number. In my 7x2x2 210G, I just have 2x Tunze 6105, but they are pretty random and cover the corals well. More is not always better. I have found that a competent amount of random flow is enough and way better than more static flow - of course, competent is hard to judge.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new