Fluconazole / Bryopsis

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

As part of upgrading to my "big" tank, I've worked to salvage a variety of corals, frags, etc., out of my nano, which was overtaken with Bryopsis. My method for "clearing" the Nano was basically to cut out nutrients altogether and let the tank fallow out while the corals sustained on photo / residual nutrients.

I've done that, but as is its way, there's plenty of little bits of Bryopsis left everywhere, and I'm at a place where the corals remaining that I want to pull over are all infested with little bits of the stuff; I don't want to introduce it into the DT really (obviously).

From reading, Fluconazole should be effective at getting rid of Bryopsis, though obviously it won't do anything to remove the "cause" of it. I'm trying to see if it's the sensible thing to treat the Nano with prior to pulling the last corals out; I'm also curious if it's worth dosing in the DT following transfer as a last little preventative measure.

Advice (or alternatives) welcome. Note I have treated the Nano with Vibrant for a couple months, which hasn't done a lick of good to the algae. I've tried 0 other treatments, and the tank is cycled down to 0 Nitrates / Phosphates, and certainly there hasn't been any new algal growth in over a month, so I'm confident there's no more ability for it to meaningfully grow in the system. It's just a matter of how to get rid of what's left most safely / efficiently. No issue with patience, either; the system can run its course as long as it likes IMO.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed I'd use it exactly that way for this issue

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok first off the cause of bryipisis is never ever nutrient related it does not need anything in the water other then regualar old food as it will catch it and break it down itself you can have a 100 percent perfect water and still bryopsis can and will grow out of control tje cause of bryopisis is it getting into your tank as a hitch hicker

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second no nagural control methods will kill it its roots are to deep to get eaten at best your keeping it short at worst your spreading it again see build thread

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And lastly im using blue life flux rx yes runs risk of killing coral but it is killing the bropsis which would of killed the coral anyway

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To sum up
If u want it gone use a medication known to work im using blue life flux rx

Other then killing it no other mean will get rid of it ever not even a dark period of a month as soon as it gets light bam it comes back

I spent a year trying everything else as i didnt want to risk my gorgonian a year later i just dont care time to die bryopsis

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back