Fluval 13.5g Nano Reef

Reefer_Madness_33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, brand new to this. Added a Clownie and a scarlet skunk 2 weeks ago. Added a Caerulean Damsel and a a fire shrimp yesterday. Wanted to start corals in 2 weeks or so, but also wanted to add maybe one more fish to the mix. Any suggestions/concerns for the 3rd fish? All water levels perfect, feeding everyone brine shrimp, and they all seem happy so far. Thanks in advance. (Damsel is a little shy right now, hiding in the rocks in the last pic).

PXL_20230515_152200487.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20230530_152647137.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20230531_124521842.jpg PXL_20230531_124533246.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a wee banggai cardinalfish in to the mix :)

How old is your tank? It looks pristine (.. and very new!). I would wait at least 3-4 months before adding any coral at all- and leave the light off for just as long! :)

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think a goby would be good with that mix. But I would add it soon, before the damsel gets adjusted and claims the tank to himself. Once it gets settled, it might now allow any new tank mates.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up. If you plan on adding any sand sifters, I suggest getting rock well established to bottom of tank before adding anything. The rocks look like they’re set atop the sand and when sand gets shifted you’re risking your landscape collapsing and possibly damaging your tank.

The rock with what looks like coraline…is it life rock or live rock? That’ll be one deciding factor before adding coral this soon.

OP
OP
Reefer_Madness_33

Reefer_Madness_33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up. If you plan on adding any sand sifters, I suggest getting rock well established to bottom of tank before adding anything. The rocks look like they’re set atop the sand and when sand gets shifted you’re risking your landscape collapsing and possibly damaging your tank.

The rock with what looks like coraline…is it life rock or live rock? That’ll be one deciding factor before adding coral this soon.
Thank you for this, I tried to get the rock as deep as I could when I initially set it. It is both life rock and there's a piece of live rock in the back that you can't see.

OP
OP
Reefer_Madness_33

Reefer_Madness_33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a wee banggai cardinalfish in to the mix :)

How old is your tank? It looks pristine (.. and very new!). I would wait at least 3-4 months before adding any coral at all- and leave the light off for just as long! :)
Hey thanks for the input. Tank was started 5/5 with 20lbs Carrib Sea oolite sand, and imagitarium pacific ocean water. On 5/15 I added seaweed and a piece of live rock, and a waste away time release gel. The clownfish and skunk cleaner were added the same day. Yesterday, 5/31, I retested the water and added the damsel and the fire shrimp. I was told by my LFS and a buddy who's been in the hobby for a while. Keep the lights off for 4 weeks before doing any corals. I researched a ton myself to, but I certainly don't want to mess anything up.

OP
OP
Reefer_Madness_33

Reefer_Madness_33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think a goby would be good with that mix. But I would add it soon, before the damsel gets adjusted and claims the tank to himself. Once it gets settled, it might now allow any new tank mates.
That was my concern, but a lot of people are saying I'm moving too quickly so I don't know which direction to go.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advice you’ve been given about slowing down is sound. Don’t over do it on livestock. Give your tank a chance to get through the ugly stage before adding stress to your life via corals. It’s better to navigate through the immaturity of the tank without the added stress of corals. Adding biodiversity before adding corals is always a better route. Also, set up a good cleaning crew for when the uglies start.

OP
OP
Reefer_Madness_33

Reefer_Madness_33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advice you’ve been given about slowing down is sound. Don’t over do it on livestock. Give your tank a chance to get through the ugly stage before adding stress to your life via corals. It’s better to navigate through the immaturity of the tank without the added stress of corals. Adding biodiversity before adding corals is always a better route. Also, set up a good cleaning crew for when the uglies start.
Any specific suggestions for a CUC? Thank you for your patience.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any specific suggestions for a CUC? Thank you for your patience.
For now, some nassarius snails (about 4 should do) they do 2 things, eat left over food and decay and also help sift the sand since they’re sand dwellers. When you start to see algae growth on the dry rock and diatoms on the sand, about 3-4 trochus snails will be good to go with since they graze at algae and I believe eat diatoms. I keep one Mexican turbo snail and one tuxedo urchin (I also run a 13.5 evo) to help keep my GHA at bay.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the input. Tank was started 5/5 with 20lbs Carrib Sea oolite sand, and imagitarium pacific ocean water. On 5/15 I added seaweed and a piece of live rock, and a waste away time release gel. The clownfish and skunk cleaner were added the same day. Yesterday, 5/31, I retested the water and added the damsel and the fire shrimp. I was told by my LFS and a buddy who's been in the hobby for a while. Keep the lights off for 4 weeks before doing any corals. I researched a ton myself to, but I certainly don't want to mess anything up.
Mate, i'd definetly reconsider those four weeks- not nearly enough for your tank to be ready! You should really count in months rather than weeks! I know it is hard to wait, but what comes from rushing it is much, much harder! :) Keep your lights off for now, when when you're a couple of months in at least start them up on very, very low power and acclimate up. Once you reach a point where purple algae starts to grow in your tank you can consider moving on with adding coral!

OP
OP
Reefer_Madness_33

Reefer_Madness_33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mate, i'd definetly reconsider those four weeks- not nearly enough for your tank to be ready! You should really count in months rather than weeks! I know it is hard to wait, but what comes from rushing it is much, much harder! :) Keep your lights off for now, when when you're a couple of months in at least start them up on very, very low power and acclimate up. Once you reach a point where purple algae starts to grow in your tank you can consider moving on with adding coral!
Okay great, thank you for the advice.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay great, thank you for the advice.
Anyone who have made the mistake will tell you the same! :) It's all about succeeding- we're here to help!

I can recommend the BRS video series on biome as well as the BRS/WWC hybrid series on cycling a reef tank!

Best of luck..

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, and this is what I did in summary:

4 weeks to cycle the tank - left light off
Added 2 clowns - left light off for 3 months
Lights came on, and added zoas, torch, frogspawn, hammers, duncans in a span of 1-2 months.

I didn't really have to deal with any ugly phase - only a very minor touch of diatoms, and that was it. I left the lights off for 3 months, so that was what I think was key. No issues with any type of algae.

CUC: nassarius snails, astrea and trochus.

You have a very thick sandbed - any reason for that? You lose volume and as well can have issues with stuff developing deep down.

Are you using the stock light?

9 months in, the tank is completely fine - water parameters excellent, and I don't really have to manage it - just a 2 gallon water change every 2 weeks - not needed, but I do it anyways to replenish any trace elements. Every tank is different, and in my case yes, some might say I moved way way too fast, but my tank is living proof that it can be done.

OP
OP
Reefer_Madness_33

Reefer_Madness_33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lights came on, and added zoas, torch, frogspawn, hammers, duncans in a span of 1-2 months.

I didn't really have to deal with any ugly phase - only a very minor touch of diatoms, and that was it. I left the lights off for 3 months, so that was what I think was key. No issues with any type of algae.

You have a very thick sandbed - any reason for that? You lose volume and as well can have issues with stuff developing deep down.

9 months in, the tank is completely fine - water parameters excellent, and I don't really have to manage it - just a 2 gallon water change every 2 weeks - not needed, but I do it anyways to replenish any trace elements. Every tank is different, and in my case yes, some might say I moved way way too fast, but my tank is living proof that it can be done.
Thanks for that. Yes, I'm using the stock light, and no particular reason for the thick sand bed.

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. Yes, I'm using the stock light, and no particular reason for the thick sand bed.
I would suggest if it's not too late to remove some of the substrate - an inch off at least. Stock light is fine I was told, but I wanted to have more difficult corals, so I had to upgrade and with that had to get a mesh lid. Go slow if you like and enjoy the tank!

OP
OP
Reefer_Madness_33

Reefer_Madness_33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the only growth that I had and it has since gone away. It was on the rock and the sand. It was more prevalent but this is the only picture I took showing it.

Attachments

• PXL_20230515_131109546_exported_4053.jpg
    PXL_20230515_131109546_exported_4053.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 20

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back