Fluval Biomax drilling results

  • Thread starter Thread starter xiongsy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

xiongsy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 25, 2023
Messages
301
Reaction score
159
Location
Little Elm
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm adding some fluval biomax to replace some rocks over time. I was planning to drill the holes to make it 3/8" but noticed gray dust that looks like aluminum. I've seen discussion that biomedia may leach aluminum into the tank and wanted everyone's thoughts on the gray dust. Photos are provided to show the dust and materials used to drill. I could not find any information on what it is made of and should I be concerned about using this product?

20230307_144022.jpg 20230307_143949.jpg
 
I'm just curious why you're drilling them?
I'm creating a floating aquascape. More, but not all, LR are removed and are supported by these biomedias. On the underside and backside, these biomedias are glued. The sps' then are glued onto .25" fiberglass rods where they are placed into the holes of the biomedias. The corals can be moved whenever and are not permanently attached.
 
I'm creating a floating aquascape. More, but not all, LR are removed and are supported by these biomedias. On the underside and backside, these biomedias are glued. The sps' then are glued onto .25" fiberglass rods where they are placed into the holes of the biomedias. The corals can be moved whenever and are not permanently attached.
That’s a pretty good idea. I’ve seen it done with 1/2 in pvc before. This is better idea tho. Probably won’t burn them up with a masonry bit
 

Attachments

  • 20230315_095509-01.jpeg
    20230315_095509-01.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 20230315_100201-01.jpeg
    20230315_100201-01.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 83

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new