OP
L

Lou's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you used to start the cycle? Dosing ammonia? ghost feeding? Whatever it is you're using, add a little more (not too much, just enough to read some ammonia in a test). That you're reading nitrite and nitrate is a good sign, but you want to keep that cycle going and build a good population of nitrifying bacteria - otherwise when you start adding fish, ammonia could spike.

You should be fine without one at first with or without the stock lid as long as you're good about manual top offs. And with the stock lid, you'll probably lose even less water. You should have a good ideal already of what evaporation looks like sinee you have water in the tank and it's been running a few days. Has the water level dropped much? I actually drew a line on mine when I first started it to track evaporation.

Personally, I think an ATO is one of the most essential "extras" I own. But I have some sensitive coral which won't do well with parameter swings and we're gone a lot on weekends. So it's a good bit of automation. Some people get by fine with manual topoffs or one of the $15 water bottle ATOs from Amazon.
I added just enough ammonia to change my ammonia alert, hoping my nitrites will change. I have had a little bit of evaporation but with lights off and the lid I have had very little so far. I am picking up some Rodi water Monday to begin topping up and to even out my salinity.

OP
OP
L

Lou's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginning to stock my fluval evo with a yellow watchman goby and some cuc. My ideal stocking is the goby, a tailspot blenny, and a more expensive centerpiece fish. Super excited for whats to come as I add fish and eventually corals!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back