OP
L

Lou's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound like you are off to a great start! I recommend patience. Go slow. After you upgrade to a larger tank size (maybe in a couple years), your 13.5 will be a great quarantine tank.
Definitely right with the patience part, I don't want to go too fast with stocking and not have room for cooler higher end critters due to lack of space. I can't afford high end fishy right now so I'm keeping stock low until the holidays. My uncle used to be an avid reefer so Christmas I will go for some new upgrades and livestock.

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm a highs school student so my budget is limited but I did intense research for months and made a spreadsheet for my full expenses. So far everything is in the budget range and my parents are on board and super interested! All is going very well.
Good on you. I have a spreadsheet myself. I track my parameters on it, too. I am sure there are better apps for that though.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice, I am doing a fishless cycle and I am currently two days in and testing daily. My ammonia dropped all the way down and nitrites and nitrates are high. Would you consider a yellow watchman goby to be a suitable first fish for a fully cycled tank? I am also wondering if a YWG is too large for the evo?
Congrats on the new tank! I have a YWG in the 13.5 EVO (paired with a Randall’s Pistol Shrimp). I don’t think it’s too big for this tank at all. I have a tailspot blenny and a pair of orange storm clowns as tank mates. It’s arguably overstocked with those 4, but it’s peaceful and I am diligent with maintenance.

I’m not far from you (Boston) and there’s a good chance the LFS you’re talking about might be where I got my clown pair and YWG (Blue Light Aqua). If it is, you’re lucky to have Myk so close. He quarantines all his livestock and buys his clowns direct from Sea and Reef in Maine which is among the best aquaculture facilities there is. He’ll custom order too if you ask. He’s the only place relatively local to Boston that I’ll buy fish.

*edited to add* If your budget is tight, check out the 3DOcean media baskets. I had the InTank basket and ended up switching to this one. It’s cheaper, and it seems to do a better job of directing flow over the filter media.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lou's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank! I have a YWG in the 13.5 EVO (paired with a Randall’s Pistol Shrimp). I don’t think it’s too big for this tank at all. I have a tailspot blenny and a pair of orange storm clowns as tank mates. It’s arguably overstocked with those 4, but it’s peaceful and I am diligent with maintenance.

I’m not far from you (Boston) and there’s a good chance the LFS you’re talking about might be where I got my clown pair and YWG (Blue Light Aqua). If it is, you’re lucky to have Myk so close. He quarantines all his livestock and buys his clowns direct from Sea and Reef in Maine which is among the best aquaculture facilities there is. He’ll custom order too if you ask. He’s the only place relatively local to Boston that I’ll buy fish.

*edited to add* If your budget is tight, check out the 3DOcean media baskets. I had the InTank basket and ended up switching to this one. It’s cheaper, and it seems to do a better job of directing flow over the filter media.
Thanks so much for the advice! Blue light is my LFS and it is good to know they are a reliable store for the future. I'm not interested in clowns but the custom orders may be a lifesaver. Is there a fee for a custom order?

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the advice! Blue light is my LFS and it is good to know they are a reliable store for the future. I'm not interested in clowns but the custom orders may be a lifesaver. Is there a fee for a custom order?
No fees. Just let him know what you’re looking for and he’ll get it as soon as it’s available on his wholesale list. If it’s something harder to find, it’s a good idea to give him some time (like a month or more). Between waiting for it to show up and his quarantine process (30-40 days by itself), it can take a while.

s1oliver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very awesome fish but I haven't researched enough yet, from what I know they seem pretty hard to care for. Correct me if I'm wrong but they are not a beginner fish right?
They're not a beginner fish at all and I personally wouldn't put one in anything less than a 90 gallon tank with lots of live rock and a huge population of copepods for them to feed on. I'd recommend getting a captive bred one from Biota if you ever get one just because it would at least increase your odds of getting them to eat frozen foods or pellets. Most mandarins starve to death because people don't understand how demanding their dietary needs are or underestimate how many pods they will need to keep one alive. They're more expensive to buy captive bred but better in my opinion because your not taking a fish from the ocean and it increases your odds of successfully keeping it if only by a little. I'm glad you researched at least enough to know it's a difficult fish to care for and didn't make an impulse buy. You can search the forums and quickly see how many folks bought one with no idea what they were doing and starved the poor things to death.

OP
OP
L

Lou's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is very high, the tank is Still cycling, would the best way to deal with this be to use rodi water instead of saltwater for my first water change. I can't add anything until I sort out my salt issue, currently my salinity is around 1.030. How should I correct this and should it be during or after the cycle?

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is very high, the tank is Still cycling, would the best way to deal with this be to use rodi water instead of saltwater for my first water change. I can't add anything until I sort out my salt issue, currently my salinity is around 1.030. How should I correct this and should it be during or after the cycle?

I'd just swap a couple of cups of tankwater for cups of RODI and then re-test the salinity and repeat as necessary until you get the target salinity.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome and so refreshing reading about a new hobbyist with this system going in a different direction other then clownfish. I applaud ur bold decision. Some great gobies and pistol shrimp combos as well as invert selections. Good luck w it.

OP
OP
L

Lou's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I purchase the chamber 1 media basket can I remove the sponge filter from chamber 2? Or would I benefit from having both the sponge and basket. I was thinking I could grow some macro algae in my spare chamber.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this also act as my first post cycle water change to remove nitrates?
I'd say probably not. I don't see you exporting enough of the nitrate in the process. You could test beforehand to see where you are and then test after. If your nitrates are low enough, you might be good. But I think you'd need to remove a larger volume of water to have enough impact on the nitrates.
If I purchase the chamber 1 media basket can I remove the sponge filter from chamber 2? Or would I benefit from having both the sponge and basket. I was thinking I could grow some macro algae in my spare chamber.
Yeah, most people ditch the sponge (and plug the hole toward the bottom of Chamber 2) pretty quickly. I bought my tank used, so the sponge was gone and the hole was plugged when I got it. I don't miss either. You could grow macro in there - lots of people do it. I just have some rubble and two mangroves (for aesthetics, not really functional)
Just submitted my form for a custom CUC on ref cleaners, the pygmy wrasses are one of my favorite fish right now. In the future I definitely want to add one.
Reef Cleaners is great. If you have any issues, just email John and he'll make it right. Pygmy Wrasses are wonderful fish too.

OP
OP
L

Lou's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say probably not. I don't see you exporting enough of the nitrate in the process. You could test beforehand to see where you are and then test after. If your nitrates are low enough, you might be good. But I think you'd need to remove a larger volume of water to have enough impact on the nitrates.

Yeah, most people ditch the sponge (and plug the hole toward the bottom of Chamber 2) pretty quickly. I bought my tank used, so the sponge was gone and the hole was plugged when I got it. I don't miss either. You could grow macro in there - lots of people do it. I just have some rubble and two mangroves (for aesthetics, not really functional)

Reef Cleaners is great. If you have any issues, just email John and he'll make it right. Pygmy Wrasses are wonderful fish too.
Thank you so much for the help and advice so far! I am planning on ordering my first CUC and a purple firefish from bluelight this week. As well as RODI and salt water for the future.

s1oliver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set one of these tanks up about 3 years ago and still enjoy it. I definitely recommend using the intank insert for chamber 1 along with losing the sponge and plugging the hole. This will give you better filtration and more options for using different media as well. The best thing I think I ever got for that tank was an ATO followed closely by a lid from clear view which looks great under the Kessil A160.

OP
OP
L

Lou's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its day 3 of my fishless cycle and my nitrites and nitrates have stayed the same for 2 days while my ammonia is reading 0. Is this something to worry about, or do I just wait it out and let it cycle.

OP
OP
L

Lou's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set one of these tanks up about 3 years ago and still enjoy it. I definitely recommend using the intank insert for chamber 1 along with losing the sponge and plugging the hole. This will give you better filtration and more options for using different media as well. The best thing I think I ever got for that tank was an ATO followed closely by a lid from clear view which looks great under the Kessil A160.
Do you think an ATO is necessary if I have the stock lid, I have heard there is very little evaporation.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its day 3 of my fishless cycle and my nitrites and nitrates have stayed the same for 2 days while my ammonia is reading 0. Is this something to worry about, or do I just wait it out and let it cycle.
What have you used to start the cycle? Dosing ammonia? ghost feeding? Whatever it is you're using, add a little more (not too much, just enough to read some ammonia in a test). That you're reading nitrite and nitrate is a good sign, but you want to keep that cycle going and build a good population of nitrifying bacteria - otherwise when you start adding fish, ammonia could spike.
Do you think an ATO is necessary if I have the stock lid, I have heard there is very little evaporation.
You should be fine without one at first with or without the stock lid as long as you're good about manual top offs. And with the stock lid, you'll probably lose even less water. You should have a good ideal already of what evaporation looks like sinee you have water in the tank and it's been running a few days. Has the water level dropped much? I actually drew a line on mine when I first started it to track evaporation.

Personally, I think an ATO is one of the most essential "extras" I own. But I have some sensitive coral which won't do well with parameter swings and we're gone a lot on weekends. So it's a good bit of automation. Some people get by fine with manual topoffs or one of the $15 water bottle ATOs from Amazon.

s1oliver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran without one for a few months with the stock lid but eventually I got tired of hearing air bubbles being pumped into the tank because I forgot to top it off before I went to bed. If you can swing it I'd just invest in one that way you don't have to do anything except keep the ATO reservoir filled up which is way easier. It also ensures that your salinity level stays consistent which is the more important aspect of having one. A lot of times you can pick up stuff on Marketplace or Craigslist that has been barely used or even new in the box still for quite a bit less than new so you could always try that first. I'll never run a tank without one regardless of the type of lid I have after having one but it doesn't mean it can't be done either, that's just my preference.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back