Fluval Evo 13.5 - Fish Stocking

doipy_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Fluval Evo 13.5 tank that will eventually be made into a reef tank and needed some help stocking it. At the moment my stocking list is :
1 wheeler shrimp goby possibly with a pistol shrimp pair
1 bumble bee shrimp
1 firefish goby
1-2 clownfish
2 Nassarius Snail
2 Astraea snails
1-2 peppermint shrimp
1 emerald crab
and possibly a hermit crab

Would this be overstocking, am I going overboard with the clean up crew and would the pistol shrimp kill my other inverts? Any other advice helps as well

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, although I'd probably choose either the pistol shrimp or the other shrimp to avoid any conflict. You should easily be able to host 3-4;fish and a small cleanup crew without any issues,

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Fluval Evo 13.5 tank that will eventually be made into a reef tank and needed some help stocking it. At the moment my stocking list is :
1 wheeler shrimp goby possibly with a pistol shrimp pair
1 bumble bee shrimp
1 firefish goby
1-2 clownfish
2 Nassarius Snail
2 Astraea snails
1-2 peppermint shrimp
1 emerald crab
and possibly a hermit crab

Would this be overstocking, am I going overboard with the clean up crew and would the pistol shrimp kill my other inverts? Any other advice helps as well
It seems good to me (Although I have about 9 fish in a 15g DT - 20g altogether - tank).

gibec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know about the emerald crab, heard they can become a minor problem along the road.
one thing to watch out for is that, in some cases the hermit crabs once they get bigger can try to nip at the snails.
I have 4 fishes in mine with no problem.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know about the emerald crab, heard they can become a minor problem along the road.
one thing to watch out for is that, in some cases the hermit crabs once they get bigger can try to nip at the snails.
+1 to the hermits, I only keep the electric blue legged hermits now (I’d love a scarlet however I have to remain cautious with any CUC and inverts as I have 3 ~1” fish) as they remain smaller and are much less aggressive.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing in there I’d be worried about is the clowns. IME you are asking for trouble by putting them in a small tank, once mature the firefish would become a target.
You could have a lot more hermits and snails, they barely dent algae and detritus in small numbers.

OP
OP
doipy_87

doipy_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing in there I’d be worried about is the clowns. IME you are asking for trouble by putting them in a small tank, once mature the firefish would become a target.
You could have a lot more hermits and snails, they barely dent algae and detritus in small numbers.
ok I'll add some snails, maybe trochus but what snails do you recommend?

OP
OP
doipy_87

doipy_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the hermits, I only keep the electric blue legged hermits now (I’d love a scarlet however I have to remain cautious with any CUC and inverts as I have 3 ~1” fish) as they remain smaller and are much less aggressive.
My hermit is an electric blue legged hermit, he's called stilton because blue crab and blue cheese

stilton.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
doipy_87

doipy_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, I've heard that they can nip at coral and be a little moody sometimes but I think I'll try it in the tank and see if it's okay and if not then my neighbour would love him for his non reef tank and I'll get a porcelain crab, actually I might get a porcelain crab even if the emerald is staying, they're pretty cool

OP
OP
doipy_87

doipy_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump up what you have.
Nass for sand
Trochus for rock and glass
I was told by my local fish shop that they can't sell me any more nassarius snails as they said that nassarius snails are 2 per tank but I'll ask them about that and I'll add some trochus snails yeah. Also about the clowns, I'm planning on letting the firefish settle first before putting the clowns in, would that be enough to stop aggression or is there more you can do and would they be less aggressive if I was to not put a pair in and have 1 clown and a different fish instead, maybe a banggai cardinal to make us of the top water?

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solo clown is less likely to be aggressive than a pair. Always a gamble. Go for a wild type or white morph, they are less aggressive than the black morph clowns.
That’s interesting about the nass snails. My 13.5 had about 10 and it didn’t seem like too much.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, I've heard that they can nip at coral and be a little moody sometimes but I think I'll try it in the tank and see if it's okay and if not then my neighbour would love him for his non reef tank and I'll get a porcelain crab, actually I might get a porcelain crab even if the emerald is staying, they're pretty cool
Emerald are really hit or miss.
I’ve had one that was a big problem, and another that is harmless.

OP
OP
doipy_87

doipy_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald are really hit or miss.
I’ve had one that was a big problem, and another that is harmless.
my local fish tank sells them cheap and lets you return problem fish for 80 percent of sale price so I'll just keep swinging until I get a hit

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermit is an electric blue legged hermit, he's called stilton because blue crab and blue cheese

stilton.jpg
That’s the best name haha. Beautiful crab, I think I mixed electric blue leg with dwarf blue leg, I’ll try find him later on and try get a photo as now that I think about it I’ve not seen him in a while.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back