Fluval Evo 13.5G - (UAS) Upflow Algae Scrubber

BurgerFish

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2018
Messages
552
Reaction score
236
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

The skimmer is noisy, hard to maintain (Fluval PS2) and eats coral's food.

I found a better solution - (UAS) Upflow Algae Scrubber. Your water will be crystal clear and maintenance is very easy.

You will need:
  1. Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget Chaetomax 2-in-1 9W Refugium LED
  2. 1$ basked from the dollar store (just find any basket that will fit)
  3. Plastic mesh screen (I rub it on asphalt to make it rough)
  4. Airpump (I think is not necessary, but I use one for "Micro and nano bubble tank treatment" and for this scrubber too). I use Fluval Q2 (stay away from noisy Q1).
  5. Airline tubing with many holes (I drill with 1/16 drill). Always use Check Valve and stay away from "Hagen Elite Check Valve".
  6. Airline Gate Valve for air control
  7. One Suction Cups (I use "Marina Black Thermometer Suction Cups")

I attach the mesh screen on each side of the basket (using tie wraps, but you can use reef safe glue).

Use a drill to make the hole in the airline tubing - if not, all the air will out from the biggest holes:
20180807_193656.jpg


Scrubber test:


I put it in the middle chamber:
20180826_151826.jpg


Result:
20180826_151343.jpg


UAS in working (at night when light off):


Future upgrades
I need to install this for better airline tubing:
imageproxy.jpg


Good luck!
 
UPD.

You don't need an airstone for AIO filter chamber. I removed it and the grow is the same (very fast, like a weed).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new