Fluval Evo 5 Build

JakeMo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first saltwater aquarium. Since around middle school, I've kept freshwater aquariums, and I just finally decided to try saltwater as I'm off on my second year of college. I would have rather of gone with a larger aquarium (15-25gal) but due to dorm restrictions, I'm limited to 5 gallons. I'm currently running an Evo 5 and I will be upgrading to the Evo 13.5 either in early December 2020 or mid-May 2021.

Equipment:
-Fluval Evo V AIO
-Current Orbit IC 18"-24"
-eFLUX wave pump 132-660gph
-Tetra Submersible Heater 50w
-XP Aqua Duetto Dual Sensor ATO
-bayite Temperature Controller
-CaribSea Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand 5lb
-Seachem Ammonia Alert
-live rock

Current Stocking:
FISH
-2 Ocellaris Clownfish
INVERTS
-1 Emerald Crab
-4 Blueleg Hermit Crab
-1 Astria Snail
-1 Trochus Snail
-1 Nassarius Snail
-1 Peppermint Shrimp
-Some hitchhiking bristle stars
SOFT CORALS
-Random Zoanthids
-Yuma Mushroom
-Some other Mushroom
-Green Base Toadstool with Pink Tips
-Kenya Tree
LPS
-Candy Cane
-Frogspawn

I initially set up the aquarium on Aug 02, 2020 at my parent's house
08022020.jpg

I used Dr. Tims One and Only to cycle to tank in 10 days. I added two clownfish on day 14. I know the one is a caramel but I don't know that the other is (black ice maybe?).
08162020.jpg

ClownSmall.jpg
Clown Small2.jpg

On day Sept 04 I added a double head of frogspawn and some random zoanthid as well as the CUC.
Coral.jpg

When I went back to college for the remainder of the semester I took the aquarium with me. By this time one of the heads of the frogspawn was almost '"deflated" looking and died with a week of moving the aquarium. The other head died approximately 9 days later. I'm assuming they died due to low flow or brown slime disease. Around the second week of October I purchased the Current USA nano bundle which includes an Orbit IC LED and an eFLUX wave pump on the LOOP system in order to improve lighting and flow.
Current.jpg

I am currently fighting to rid the aquarium of green hair algae and I am guessing it is from the excess bioload from the two clownfish and not excess food as I'm not overfeeding( I only feed a couple of pellets a day and occasionally some frozen food). I also don't have any snails as something killed them. (I'm guessing it was the hermit crabs). Rather than getting more GHA eating inverts, I'm thinking about getting some sort of macroalgae and hoping it will outgrow the GHA. If you know what zoa I have let me know.
Zoa.jpg

Last edited:

SamiTANKS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know which panels can be drilled on a fluval evo or spec 5?

OP
OP
JakeMo

JakeMo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of changes have happened in the last week and a half. I have moved the aquarium back home for the winter. I have recently added several new frags (zoanthids, toadstool, kenya tree, mushrooms, candy cane) as well as two new inverts to help control the algae (trochus snail and a peppermint shrimp).
Tank.jpg

TopDown.jpg
Zoa1.jpg
TankB.jpg

Over black Friday I purchased the XP Aqua Duetto ATO from BRS. I also purchased and am waiting on the NEWA mini MN606 from marine depot to arrive so I can upgrade the return pump. I was looking for the Cobalt Aquatics MJ606 and I could not find one anywhere over the last couple of months and I believe that the NEWA MN606 is the same thing.

Last edited:

Rednamalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, nice tank! I've also got the EVO 5 and it has been great for me. My current stocking is just one high fin goby, a tiger pistol shrimp, spiderman squat lobster, and two snails. I don't have any corals but I do have some macroalgae.

jwoods50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought the same light and wave pump for that exact tank, but they haven’t been delivered yet. However I am concerned about the Wave pump being too strong for the tank. How has yours been? Any tips on how to angle it or anything that would help slow it?

OP
OP
JakeMo

JakeMo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought the same light and wave pump for that exact tank, but they haven’t been delivered yet. However I am concerned about the Wave pump being too strong for the tank. How has yours been? Any tips on how to angle it or anything that would help slow it?
I've really like the eflux pump. I have it set at 50% on the surge mode and have it positioned about 1.5-2in below the water's surface, angled towards the surface and I've found that at 50%-60% is enough to break the surface tension without creating a tornado in the aquarium. The pump itself can be adjusted in 10% increments from 10% to 100% with the flowrate averaging 132gph at 10% to 660gph at 100%.

As far as the light is concerned I like it much better than the stock light but that being said I don't have anything to compare it to other than the stock light. I'm using current's recommended reef color spectrum (first link) and on/off times and it seems to be working. I have the on-time set at 8 am and the off-time set at 4 pm. However, the light doesn't actually turn off at 4 they just being ramping down to the sunset phase for an hour and then to the moonlight phase for another 6 hours. I put some links below from current for more information on the light and its color spectrum settings.

Last edited:

jwoods50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That gave me confidence and eased my concerns. Thanks for that. Also thank you for the links. I found them very helpful.

Now if I can just get them delivered, I will be in business.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking at maybe getting one of these, does a single clownfish work in a 5g? probably just one clown and lots of softies (zoas, shrooms, xenia, maybe gsp) #reefsquad ? anyone?

OP
OP
JakeMo

JakeMo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the beginning of December, I've changed/added a few things to the Evo. I first installed the new MN606 pump I bought over black Friday which greatly improved flow and filtration. However, I think I'm going to get a RFG nozzle to help slow down the jet of water the now comes from the return since upgrading the pump. I also added a frogspawn frag and a BTA. The anemone is about 2 in across when fully open and about 1in when enclosed. It took about a week for it to get used to the tank and has only moved once. I haven't tried to feed it shrimp but I have fed it Benepets Benereef and Red Sea Reef Energy AB while feeding the other corals.
Daylight.jpg
FrogSpawn1.jpg

Does anyone know what type of BTA this is?
BTA1.jpg

OP
OP
JakeMo

JakeMo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking at maybe getting one of these, does a single clownfish work in a 5g? probably just one clown and lots of softies (zoas, shrooms, xenia, maybe gsp) #reefsquad ? anyone?
I wouldn't recommend keeping a clown in a 5gal aquarium long term. Mine will be getting a bigger tank (Evo 13.5) in July. If your dead set on the Evo 5 and you want a long-term fish I would recommend small gobies (shrimp goby pair) and blennies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back