Fluval Flex Owners - Experience, Mods, Advice

Reef2317

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what return pump and what size RFG nozzles fit the 32.5

I used a SICCE 1.5 For my replacement return pump. I wish I knew the answer regarding RFG nozzle sizing.

Morning reefers

They are 1/2 inch this guy on ebay sells the kit post to Aus was quick, he is also great with customer service.

I upgraded to a Great White 3000Lph return pump from Dalua.

I used extra loc-line to create what i call tank eels and the flow is pretty EPIC I have my tank on the lowest it can go and it has pretty nice flow for my BTA's, and LPS and softies

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning reefers

They are 1/2 inch this guy on ebay sells the kit post to Aus was quick, he is also great with customer service.

I used extra loc-line to create what i call tank eels and the flow is pretty EPIC I have my tank on the lowest it can go and it has pretty nice flow for my BTA's, and LPS and softies
Thank you

mrreo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning reefers

did that pump fit with no mods

Reef2317

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure did!

I just upgraded the pump hose to 19mm and ziptied it around the ends for extra security against burst off's. Its a snug fit but it fits perfectly and it is whisper silent.

*Please excuse awful photography but you can see the pump.
In that middle chamber I have my return pump, heater and skimmer so she is very busy chamber.

Screenshot_20230718_221950_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230718_221942_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230718_221935_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Reef2317

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It sure did!

I just upgraded the pump hose to 19mm and ziptied it around the ends for extra security against burst off's. Its a snug fit but it fits perfectly and it is whisper silent.

*Please excuse awful photography but you can see the pump.
In that middle chamber I have my return pump, heater and skimmer so she is very busy chamber.

Screenshot_20230718_221950_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230718_221942_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230718_221935_Gallery.jpg

The only mod was a $2 part from an irrigation store.

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long you run your lights for start time and shutoff time
I run mine 12 hours on 12 hours off with 2 hours of its ramping up in the morning and 2 hours ramping down at night so 8 total hours of full light. As long as you keep it consistent and don’t change it often you should be okay as far as time goes.

mrreo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you and when you do a water change how much do you do on a 32 g

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you and when you do a water change how much do you do on a 32 g
I would start with 5 gallons Weekly for a while. If your nitrates or phosphates are too high by the. End of the week then you can do a bit more. Largest change should be 50% max but you should only need to do a large one if things get too dirty. I did 5 weekly on mine and it was perfect!

REEF RACKET LLC is now offering consulting for all your questions and I can help you every step of the way! We offer professional help either text, voice, or video chat! If your subscribe you also get many benefits including discounts on exclusive corals! Happy reefing!

www.ReefRacket.com

Deago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add 2 fans to mine and cut the back cut outs. Raised the tank lid about an inch and half. I also went with the 2nd fluval marine light to up the par. Any help with light settings would be super helpful. [email protected]
how many degrees did it drop using the 2 fans. Thinking of doing the same thing. What brand did you go with for the fans

reveriesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a strange question. I have a Red Sea 425XL and decided I wanted an additional small tank to house a couple of things that won’t play nice with things in my larger tank (this hobby is ridiculously addictive!). So I have now set up a Fluval Flex 32.5 with the modified Intank media baskets and flow directors. The problem is the water doesn’t reach the lip on the media basket unless I were to fill the tank to the absolute top! That is problematic for a few reasons, not the least of which is the Fluval marine light sits immediately above (I have to use the stick lid because of massive dogs that would shake hair nonstop into any other kind).

When I bought the Intank baskets a note in the packing said that if the lip was above the waterline to just flip the open side toward the vents, which I did. However, as you can imagine, I’m now having a problem with filtration as the water is not being forced through the top chamber with filter floss, it just flows In across the entirety of the basket. Gas anyone figured out how to resolve this? I would actually buy other baskets if they worked better

On a side note I bought a mod on Etsy for the feeder cover which is vented, allowing for some gas exchange and temperature cooling from the lights, it works great.

reveriesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for the typos, I just woke up!

“I have to use the STOCK lid…”
“HAS anyone figured out how to resolve this?”

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer have this tank, but when I did I used the intank baskets. I was able to trim them using a sharp razor knife.

So sorry for the typos, I just woke up!

“I have to use the STOCK lid…”
“HAS anyone figured out how to resolve this?”

reveriesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer have this tank, but when I did I used the intank baskets. I was able to trim them using a sharp razor knife.
Thank you! Just to clarify, you cut the area with the lip (I marked in red on pic) lower to allow lower water level or you cut the bottom tab (I marked with blue arrow) so it will slide lower in chamber?

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpeg
    IMG_1033.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 40

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Just to clarify, you cut the area with the lip (I marked in red on pic) lower to allow lower water level or you cut the bottom tab (I marked with blue arrow) so it will slide lower in chamber?

I'll need to go back and look, I thought I remembered mine being made of thinner black plastic

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a strange question. I have a Red Sea 425XL and decided I wanted an additional small tank to house a couple of things that won’t play nice with things in my larger tank (this hobby is ridiculously addictive!). So I have now set up a Fluval Flex 32.5 with the modified Intank media baskets and flow directors. The problem is the water doesn’t reach the lip on the media basket unless I were to fill the tank to the absolute top! That is problematic for a few reasons, not the least of which is the Fluval marine light sits immediately above (I have to use the stick lid because of massive dogs that would shake hair nonstop into any other kind).

When I bought the Intank baskets a note in the packing said that if the lip was above the waterline to just flip the open side toward the vents, which I did. However, as you can imagine, I’m now having a problem with filtration as the water is not being forced through the top chamber with filter floss, it just flows In across the entirety of the basket. Gas anyone figured out how to resolve this? I would actually buy other baskets if they worked better

On a side note I bought a mod on Etsy for the feeder cover which is vented, allowing for some gas exchange and temperature cooling from the lights, it works great.
Hello!

Inexperience this as well. Few things. 1, the shorter “lip” should be facing outwards on both sides facing the sides of the tank. 2, the long thin plastic “water directors” must be installed properly to force the water over the top rather than enter down below. I’ve done a ton of modifications to this tank and I have no problem helping you free of charge since we have not quite launched our business yet. If your interest or still need help DM me here or on our Instagram @reef_racket and I’ll be happy to provide my phone number and we can FaceTime or zoom or just send pictures whatever is helpful for you. I’m in CA so PST. Look forward to helping you!

This goes for anyone needing help before the launch of REEF RACKET LLC corals and consulting!

Happy Reefing!

reveriesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Inexperience this as well. Few things. 1, the shorter “lip” should be facing outwards on both sides facing the sides of the tank. 2, the long thin plastic “water directors” must be installed properly to force the water over the top rather than enter down below. I’ve done a ton of modifications to this tank and I have no problem helping you free of charge since we have not quite launched our business yet. If your interest or still need help DM me here or on our Instagram @reef_racket and I’ll be happy to provide my phone number and we can FaceTime or zoom or just send pictures whatever is helpful for you. I’m in CA so PST. Look forward to helping you!

This goes for anyone needing help before the launch of REEF RACKET LLC corals and consulting!

Happy Reefing!
Thank you so much for your response! I actually have them working now, just filled the tank up darn near to the very top. Definitely will follow you to see what inventive stuff your company comes out with! Thanks again

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your response! I actually have them working now, just filled the tank up darn near to the very top. Definitely will follow you to see what inventive stuff your company comes out with! Thanks again
Thanks for the kind words! So far we are just corals and consulting with local maintenance but perhaps in the near future we can create some products of our own!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back