Fluval Flex Owners - Experience, Mods, Advice

Jicklenop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Brand new Fluval Flex owner, just put my fish in yesterday! I also got the intank media baskets in hopes of getting a bit more of a surface skim. I've noticed that it doesn't seem to do much, though I'm also pretty sure it's because the stock pump just doesn't have enough power. Just curious if that's the case, couldn't quite find any answers reading through the thread but I could have missed something. Thanks!

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Brand new Fluval Flex owner, just put my fish in yesterday! I also got the intank media baskets in hopes of getting a bit more of a surface skim. I've noticed that it doesn't seem to do much, though I'm also pretty sure it's because the stock pump just doesn't have enough power. Just curious if that's the case, couldn't quite find any answers reading through the thread but I could have missed something. Thanks!
Most folks do upgrade the return pump (I did). First I used a SICCE Syncra 1.5, but I but I changed it out for a eFlux DC pump when I installed random flow generators.

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can upgrade the return if you want but most pumps that are a suitable size will not have a controller, so your stuck with whatever GPH the pump is made to produce. I would keep the stock but upgrade the return nozzles that push the water to the tank. Then, aim these nozzles up toward the surface creating as much surface agitation possible and using something else for main flow like an MP10 power head!

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure you have the "flow directors" installed properly to tightly fit the basket in place... these look like black plastic rulers that came with the InTank Baskets and have a cut out to slide front outer edge of both the left and right chambers.

This link will show you! just look it all the pictures it has here:

***!!!ATTENTION FLUVAL FLEX OWNERS!!!***

These are 100% necessary to properly direct the flow into the chambers from top to bottom. If you purchased In-tank Media Baskets and do NOT have these then the basket will not be working at 100% efficiency. Send me a message if you have any questions. These things don’t have great instructions and they are very important and must be installed correctly.

Darel

Jicklenop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, since posting this my surface has been a lot cleaner. I think it needed more time than I had expected. I think that I'll still upgrade my pump eventually. What sort of upgrade to the return nozzle is recommended?

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, since posting this my surface has been a lot cleaner. I think it needed more time than I had expected. I think that I'll still upgrade my pump eventually. What sort of upgrade to the return nozzle is recommended?
It’s really just preference but I like the “Random Flow Nozzles”

The stock nozzles are flat if I remember correctly? These are fine if the pump isn’t too strong and you can turn them horizontally to ripple along the surface by turning them parallel with the surface if that makes sense.

Reef2317

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really just preference but I like the “Random Flow Nozzles”

The stock nozzles are flat if I remember correctly? These are fine if the pump isn’t too strong and you can turn them horizontally to ripple along the surface by turning them parallel with the surface if that makes sense.
Seconded!

I have dual RFG nozzles and need no wavemakers

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back