Fluval Flex Owners - Experience, Mods, Advice

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a small gap between the bottom glass and the plastic “wall” than divides the small outer chamber and the return pump chamber in both sides. This gap bypasses the filter - both stock and intank baskets
Any chance you could take pics?

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when using the Intank media baskets did you have to do any other mods to the tank? Such as cut the vents etc? I read on another thread that the water level was a problem getting to the top chamber so members advised cutting the vets in the tank. I'm new to this hobby and i really do not feel comfortable cutting anything away if I can help it due to fear of messing up and breaking my tank.
there is a small gap between the bottom glass and the plastic “wall” than divides the small outer chamber and the return pump chamber in both sides. This gap bypasses the filter - both stock and intank baskets
All you need to do is make sure the “flow directors” are in place and and the water will go from top to bottom through the inTank media baskets in an organized fashion.... HUGE difference

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not possible. But I have seen a graphic of it in another thread which I will try to find.
Are you referring to the bottom vents at the bottom intakes of the media section intake or the display wall intake?

Hahaha. It’s tough to explain.

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to the bottom vents at the bottom intakes of the media section intake or the display wall intake?

Hahaha. It’s tough to explain.
Yeah, so diffucult No, not the media baskets, but the section divider that goes below the media basket all the way to glass bottom. You can’t see it from the top, but it is the one that separates the intake chamber from the return chamber.. it has a small gap along the glass bottom which prevents the vacuum filtration effect through the filters..

EpisodeMnH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it got in the middle chamber without an issue. Only thing needed was an adapter to make the return hose fit.
Can you link me to the adaptor? I’m prolly gonna upgrade to the exact same pump so I’ll need the adaptor as well.

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you link me to the adaptor? I’m prolly gonna upgrade to the exact same pump so I’ll need the adaptor as well.
If you buy the media baskets from intank, the flow director adapter now comes with them. They didn't used to do some people have to buy them separately, especially if you buy them from another reefer or used

NeilH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy the media baskets from intank, the flow director adapter now comes with them. They didn't used to do some people have to buy them separately, especially if you buy them from another reefer or used
I think he was asking about the adapter used for the Syncra 2.0 pump.

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the flow directors to be placed? Just received mine..
You slide them front left of the left chamber and front right of the right chamber, to tightly fit the media baskets so flow is forced to go directly through the chambers and not freely flow through any gaps on the sides. There’s a long notch cut out where you can slide them in... if you can’t get it to fit let me know I’ll take a picture for you!

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You slide them front left of the left chamber and front right of the right chamber, to tightly fit the media baskets so flow is forced to go directly through the chambers and not freely flow through any gaps on the sides. There’s a long notch cut out where you can slide them in... if you can’t get it to fit let me know I’ll take a picture for you!
Perfect. Thanks. Will get back when i try to set Them up

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading along and thought I’d add my experience. I also have a flex 123L marine. All LPS and softies. I’ve removed most of the walls in the back chamber to make room for a skimmer project that failed. I was trying to get the tunze 9004 skimmer to use the surface skimming function but just wasn't enough room. Should have gotten the 9001 (has skimming function built in). The only filtration I have is the skimmer, a diy chaeto reactor and a small surface skimming pump. Reactor works great, noticeable difference in 10 days. Still running the stock pump plus 2 hydor 425 (one runs 24/7 the other 12h on 12h off). I use smart plugs (Amazon) to control most electrical with my phone. Light is the stock light with white at 45% blue 8am-8pm, cyan, and purple at 100% 8am-(I’m a night owl). Photo of the tank is a little old and the reactor is new. Got an algae out break so no picks for a while but the reactor is making a big difference.

Attachments

• BE433978-0E6E-4096-80DB-1B8EE6EEC908.jpeg
    BE433978-0E6E-4096-80DB-1B8EE6EEC908.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 218
  • CDF32CF3-B26E-4C50-BD27-EAC158CD8ED7.png
    CDF32CF3-B26E-4C50-BD27-EAC158CD8ED7.png
    431.3 KB · Views: 225

ShaneWedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added the new return pump!!
9BEC4010-A8FC-436B-AB81-39E9C92FE3B7.jpeg

Thanks to @802ScubaFish !!

now thinking of what skimmer to use since we all know the Fluval PS1 does not seem to impress.... I like that IceCap and was curious is you guys have tired any other or know of any other that would fit in the back sump??? Been looking online but not many seem to meet the size requirements so if you have came across any I’d love to take a look!! Thanks guys!!
Is this a good pump?

tom.poor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when using the Intank media baskets did you have to do any other mods to the tank? Such as cut the vents etc? I read on another thread that the water level was a problem getting to the top chamber so members advised cutting the vets in the tank. I'm new to this hobby and i really do not feel comfortable cutting anything away if I can help it due to fear of messing up and breaking my tank.
I bent the top plastic fin in all the way so the water would flow past it. You will see what I mean after you install the baskets and watch the water flow. You do have to fill the tank very high with water as well. I have since installed a UV canister filter to compliment the Intank basket. I had to cut the lid to fit the intake and outflow for that. I like the look of the fluval flex tank but had to completely gut it and go with all none fluval parts to get it working really well. Now it works great and I am very happy with it. Using it as is out of the box was nearly impossible. It overheated and the filter was terrible.

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bent the top plastic fin in all the way so the water would flow past it. You will see what I mean after you install the baskets and watch the water flow. You do have to fill the tank very high with water as well. I have since installed a UV canister filter to compliment the Intank basket. I had to cut the lid to fit the intake and outflow for that. I like the look of the fluval flex tank but had to completely gut it and go with all none fluval parts to get it working really well. Now it works great and I am very happy with it. Using it as is out of the box was nearly impossible. It overheated and the filter was terrible.
what is a UV canister filter and what does that do? did you also replace the pump? I've seen a lot replaced it with the sicce 1.5 but I have not done that as of yet. All I have done was installed the Intank baskets

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What platic fin is it, that You are bending?

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone modified the lid or found a lid to fit the tank? In particular I’m looking for ideas to have a larger feeding area. I’m annoyed at the location and size of the feeding opening. Thanks!

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting one of these tanks. I decided to go with the freshwater version since I will not be using the top and I already have my light.
I am wondering what stand is everyone using for this tank. Besides the fluval stand or diy stand is there any other options out there?

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting one of these tanks. I decided to go with the freshwater version since I will not be using the top and I already have my light.
I am wondering what stand is everyone using for this tank. Besides the fluval stand or diy stand is there any other options out there?
I went to a thrift store and found an old solid wood dresser /cabinet that was the right dimensions and painted it

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back