Fluval Flex Owners - Experience, Mods, Advice

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting one of these tanks. I decided to go with the freshwater version since I will not be using the top and I already have my light.
I am wondering what stand is everyone using for this tank. Besides the fluval stand or diy stand is there any other options out there?
Mine is on an old oak table. Looks great!

EpisodeMnH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word of warning to this thread (And it’s also an “upgrade” of sorts.):

PUT MESH OVER THE BACK CHAMBER!!

Not the bigger part where the filter media goes, but the smaller part on both sides that is divided by that little wall.

I was scrubbing algae off the back wall and ended up spooking my black Clown, he jumped and landed in that exact chamber. He’s luckily fine, but because of how narrow it is, it was almost impossible to get him out. Took over an hour and ended up needing to use the pump from my QT tank, ran airline tubing to the bottom, then the bubbles caused him to swim to the very top and I scooped him out by hand.

Definitely not a process I ever want to repeat, so I now have mesh over both sides lol. Again, not the big wide media chambers, but those smaller empty side chambers that are there for water flow.

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

i am seeing a lot of surfaces film and particles in the surface that is not getting into the filter baskets. Anyone held having this problem and having any fix? Cut the vents? Replace the stock return pump?

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word of warning to this thread (And it’s also an “upgrade” of sorts.):

PUT MESH OVER THE BACK CHAMBER!!

Not the bigger part where the filter media goes, but the smaller part on both sides that is divided by that little wall.

I was scrubbing algae off the back wall and ended up spooking my black Clown, he jumped and landed in that exact chamber. He’s luckily fine, but because of how narrow it is, it was almost impossible to get him out. Took over an hour and ended up needing to use the pump from my QT tank, ran airline tubing to the bottom, then the bubbles caused him to swim to the very top and I scooped him out by hand.

Definitely not a process I ever want to repeat, so I now have mesh over both sides lol. Again, not the big wide media chambers, but those smaller empty side chambers that are there for water flow.
Could you show some pics of this.
Great advice, and thank you!

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

i am seeing a lot of surfaces film and particles in the surface that is not getting into the filter baskets. Anyone held having this problem and having any fix? Cut the vents? Replace the stock return pump?
I replaced the stock filter foam with InTank Media baskets after reading the advice of others on this site.

I have not done this yet, but others have also replaced the stock pump with the sicce 1.5 and have had great success. Someone who helped me was @cLoWDy and @DStecz. They may be better to advise you as I am brand new to this hobby.

JNoyes1026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow flexers!
I have looked around for some diy media baskets to replace the black foam filters but never have seen any ones that look close to the aftermarket ones. I made up a design and assembling one now to see how it works. Here is version 1s blueprints. I will take pics and let you know how they work once operational.
332B92AE-0020-4879-A96A-D13AF730D5E0.png
7CD3917D-E730-4DD8-9997-69A8FA7B7B01.png

Ps. Not a Texaco sponsored product

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow flexers!
I have looked around for some diy media baskets to replace the black foam filters but never have seen any ones that look close to the aftermarket ones. I made up a design and assembling one now to see how it works. Here is version 1s blueprints. I will take pics and let you know how they work once operational.
332B92AE-0020-4879-A96A-D13AF730D5E0.png
7CD3917D-E730-4DD8-9997-69A8FA7B7B01.png

Ps. Not a Texaco sponsored product
This is awesome! I can’t wait to see how it turns out.
I will neeed to try this.

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be getting my tank this week and I think I will be trying to block the lower vents and see if it improves surface skimming. I did already order the I tank baskets for this tank. I also will try using the mighty jet desktop return pump.

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up my tank today and am waiting for the stand. Want to know if the heat problem was solved with leaving the top on?

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be getting my tank this week and I think I will be trying to block the lower vents and see if it improves surface skimming. I did already order the I tank baskets for this tank. I also will try using the mighty jet desktop return pump.
How are You planning to block the vents? And have you cut the top vents for bigger intake? I am having the same issue with “stuff” on the surface nicer getting into the filters.

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably silicone the lower grates. This way if it doesn’t work it’s removable. Also I will be using the mighty jet from the ato I am upgrading from. I am only going off of the other 2 aio’s I have owned in the past. Neither of them had lower water intakes. I do not plan on cutting anything on the tank.

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw on the fluval facebook group that somebody 3d printed something to block the lower vents. I thought about giving them a try but they are in the UK. I have the same issue with surface scum.

ecswanson213

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried the Fluval protein skimmer? Are there any reviews of it that are worth reading? I am still running a stock configuration but after reading these threads I think I will purchase the media baskets and investigate an additional powerhead and a stronger pump. Also what do people do with their lids during water changes. It collects a ton of water so I dont want to sit it on my couch.....

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the 1 stock light good enough for softies and LPS corals or is an additional light needed?

Blcard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those looking at the sicce 2.0. The adapter you need threads into the pump and reduces to the size of the factory tubing. I got mine at menards. I think it was 1/2” on pump down to 1/4” for tubing. After adjusting the water level a bit I am getting good flow over the top of the filter basket and then through it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 177

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will just use the black aquarium silicone.
What was you experience with this? Is it better only having the surface skimming? Considering this but i am afraid of having the vents blocked and the ATO going crazy to adjust the water level..

Secondly, can you use Black-silicone directly into a running tank?

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned the 13.5 tank and an IM 20 tank. Each one of those only had the top intakes and I never had a problem with the ato. Unfortunately the tank needs to be dry to apply silicone to the intakes.

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a situation where the water in my middle chamber (where the sump and skimmer is housed) is lower than my intake chambers and tank. I never had this issue before, but I did recently replace the stock filter with the Intank media baskets (yes, I installed the flow detectors correctly). Could this be the reason why water is lower in the sump? Am I losing flow from the intake to the middle?
I do know Fluval has the system in place where the water level is measured by the middle and should not be measured by the tank water level, however, I never had issues with evaporation in the past, nor have I ever needed to do any top offs between my biweekly water changes.

Any one else have this issue? Is this common or is there an underlying issue with flow that I am not seeing?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back