Fluval Flex Owners - Experience, Mods, Advice

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little status from my flex reef..
Now about 2 months in. InTank media baskets installed, stock pump replaced and everything is working well.

First inhabitants have moved in, and now I am seeking inspiration and advice for which species that could be good, fun and beautiful to combine in a flex.
Any inputs or experience here? I want to plan this in advance, so I don't end up making wrong buys etc.

Right now I have:
3x eremit crab
3x turbo snails
2x shrimps
1x fire goby
and I am planning to get 2 percula clown fish.
What other species could be fun and fit this tank design?

tempImageKgKRSd.jpg
tempImagewaGpPJ.jpg
tempImagembkglu.jpg

Attachments

• tempImagekoNuAN.jpg
    tempImagekoNuAN.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 78

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aloha all! Joined the forum just for this thread.

I started my freshwater Flex 32.5G in January as a saltwater. (PetSmart didn’t have the marine version).
Just like my other hobbies I couldn’t leave well enough alone. So glad I found this forum.

So far I’ve got inTank media baskets. One side, from top to bottom is a layer of the OEM sponge filter cut, both carbon bags, and both bio media bags.
On the other side I’m attempting a refugium. I have a layer of the OEM sponge filter cut, red ogo macro algae, and 1.5 Marinepure 2” cubes. For lighting I’m using an inTank LED Full Spectrum Aquarium Refugium Light velcroed to the spot where the red ogo is.

I’m also using the PS1 skimmer. I think it’s working well. Fine tuning it now to get a less wet skimmate.
also ordered a new light from fluval. So I’ll be running an Aquasky and Marine for lighting. We’ll see how that goes.

Question regarding everyone’s choice for return pumps. Why is more gph better? My water is clear and the stock pump seems to be working well. Wouldn’t a higher gph pump remove coral food and additives faster?
Just curious how beneficial upgrading to a new pump would be for me.
also, considering I’m using the PS1, I’m afraid a different pump may affect how the skimmer sits.

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same question posed on another forum on this site. I was advised to keep higher flow in the display tank (by power heads) but the flow from the return stock pump is fine and to spend that money more wisely on something else. There seems to be 2 train of thoughts on this. 1) more flow from the return pushes more water volume. 2) slower return takes more time to actually clean the water more, so although less water volume is being pushed, the water going into the tank is “cleaner”. I’ve been told 1 way is not better than the other by any means. It’s all up to personal preference.
If your only concern is the size/fit with the skimmer, a sicce 1.5 will fit in the same chamber with no problem, if you did want to upgrade...

EpisodeMnH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I started my freshwater Flex 32.5G in January as a saltwater. (PetSmart didn’t have the marine version).
Just like my other hobbies I couldn’t leave well enough alone. So glad I found this forum.

So far I’ve got inTank media baskets. One side, from top to bottom is a layer of the OEM sponge filter cut, both carbon bags, and both bio media bags.
On the other side I’m attempting a refugium. I have a layer of the OEM sponge filter cut, red ogo macro algae, and 1.5 Marinepure 2” cubes. For lighting I’m using an inTank LED Full Spectrum Aquarium Refugium Light velcroed to the spot where the red ogo is.

I’m also using the PS1 skimmer. I think it’s working well. Fine tuning it now to get a less wet skimmate.
also ordered a new light from fluval. So I’ll be running an Aquasky and Marine for lighting. We’ll see how that goes.

Question regarding everyone’s choice for return pumps. Why is more gph better? My water is clear and the stock pump seems to be working well. Wouldn’t a higher gph pump remove coral food and additives faster?
also, considering I’m using the PS1, I’m afraid a different pump may affect how the skimmer sits.
When you say velcro, you mean you have it attached to the glass on the outside, but over the chamber that contains the Red Ogo? Asking because I may be attempting a fuge on mine as well to control nutrient levels.

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say velcro, you mean you have it attached to the glass on the outside, but over the chamber that contains the Red Ogo? Asking because I may be attempting a fuge on mine as well to control nutrient levels.
Yes, the light is attached to the outside over the chamber that contains the ogo. I used Velcro with adhesive on each side. The loop or soft strip adhered to the light, and the hook or scratchy strip adhered to the aquarium back. This way I can pull the light off if needed.

EpisodeMnH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the light is attached to the outside over the chamber that contains the ogo. I used Velcro with adhesive on each side. The loop or soft strip adhered to the light, and the hook or scratchy strip adhered to the aquarium back. This way I can pull the light off if needed.
Nice! Thank you. I think I’m gonna order that same light and attempt this, only difference being that I’ll be getting Chaeto instead. Never done a refugium before, and I prefer the more natural approach of a fuge to lower nutrients over methods like vodka and what not.

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long did it take you to dial in the ps1? I’ve been running it for over 3 weeks now and it is still producing millions of bubbles in my DT. Any advice you can give?

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take you to dial in the ps1? I’ve been running it for over 3 weeks now and it is still producing millions of bubbles in my DT. Any advice you can give?

After watching a lot of YouTube videos on the PS1 and other skimmers, I started by opening the air valve all the way. Basically my little rubber plug is just sitting on the very top threads. Then I set the cup height really high. That took awhile since I started with it mid height then after a day or so moved it a tad higher each time. My current setting is with the rubber band set at the same height as the highest point of the bottom of the cup.

I think water level makes a difference also. I’m using the suction cups and have it set near the max line of the skimmer.

Last edited:

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching a lot of YouTube videos on the PS1 and other skimmers, I started by opening the air valve all the way. Basically my little rubber plug is just sitting on the very top threads. Then I set the cup height really high. That took awhile since I started I’m with it mid height then after a day or so moved it a tad higher each time. My current setting is with the rubber band set at the same height as the highest point of the bottom of the cup.

I think water level makes a difference also. I’m using the suction cups and have it set near the max line of the skimmer.
Hmmm....I have the valve completely open and the water is at the max line. Maybe I should try raising the cup. Either that or my skimmer is garbage! It’s been 3 weeks and still causing millions of bubbles and no skim. The water is 100% clear in the cup

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm....I have the valve completely open and the water is at the max line. Maybe I should try raising the cup. Either that or my skimmer is garbage! It’s been 3 weeks and still causing millions of bubbles and no skim. The water is 100% clear in the cup
I decided to upgrade to the sicce 1.5 and now my skimmer miraculously works. Maybe it’s coincidence, either way it makes me happy with the upgrade purchase!

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fluval Marine 3.0 LED light should be arriving today! So I'll be running an Aquasky and a Marine in my lid. Aquasky because I bought a freshwater kit (all my store had, plus it was cheaper.).

We'll see how the new lighting set up works out.

Last edited:

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fluval Marine 3.0 LED light should be arriving today! So I'll be running an Aquasky and a Marine in my lid. Aquasky because I bought a freshwater kit (all my store had, plus it was cheaper.).

We'll see how the new lighting set up works out.
Where did You buy it from?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back