Flying gurnard addition?

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone here had a flying Gurnard fish?

Tank is 7’ by 26” by 26”
My lfs has a 7” one rn, and it’s really tempting to get.
Current stock is:
4 tangs
hi fin snapper 8”
2 angelfish 4”,8”
Banana eel 12”
Blue throat trigger 5”
Rabbit fish 7”
Polleni grouper 5”

In the future, all I can see myself getting is some other tangs, a harlequin tusk, and MAYBE a shark and ray

If any pros, or people who have had this see it, please share your knowledge and experience with me. Of course if you have pictures of yours, that too.

My tank layout is mostly a sandy bottom, I have a couple powerful crossflow wavemakers on.

CharismaticSeal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, you have to decide whether you want the Gurnard, or a shark, or a ray. Those animals occupy a large chunk of your floor space. A Gurnard, full grown may be too big for a 240 long term. I would personally ditch the gurnard, and get a Urobatis jamaicensis (These are the best small ray species, males tend to stay at around 8in, and can handle high aquarium temps much better). you could probably get away with adding an Atelomycterus macleayi (if you can find one for an affordable price). I currently have a an Epaulette and a yellow ray and found that they alternate their activity. my shark is nocturnal, and my ray is primarily diurnal. Getting two animals that occupy the bottom at the same time of day is asking for trouble IMO (Ray and Gurnard). I would also like to add that if you are thinking of getting either the shark or ray look at getting males, as males TEND to grow to a large smaller size.

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, you have to decide whether you want the Gurnard, or a shark, or a ray. Those animals occupy a large chunk of your floor space. A Gurnard, full grown may be too big for a 240 long term. I would personally ditch the gurnard, and get a Urobatis jamaicensis (These are the best small ray species, males tend to stay at around 8in, and can handle high aquarium temps much better). you could probably get away with adding an Atelomycterus macleayi (if you can find one for an affordable price). I currently have a an Epaulette and a yellow ray and found that they alternate their activity. my shark is nocturnal, and my ray is primarily diurnal. Getting two animals that occupy the bottom at the same time of day is asking for trouble IMO (Ray and Gurnard). I would also like to add that if you are thinking of getting either the shark or ray look at getting males, as males TEND to grow to a large smaller size.
I’m planning to upgrade to an 8’ stock tank within the next 2 years, would u recommend against a blue dot ray, and epaulette shark? I’ll probably follow your advice and stay away from the gurnard

irwinsbugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree on staying away from the gurnard, they can be quite finicky and are easily picked on (at least the small ones I have kept). Probably not worth the risk unless you are dead set on having one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back