FM Multi Reference and Hanna Kits (and RS Pro Mg)

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just checked all of my Hanna Kits against the Fauna Marin Multi-Reference sample. Thought this may be useful for others in case you were wondering about accuracy of the tests. Results may vary depending on how reproducible you are with the kits. All tests were done immediately after receiving the sample (the sample did not sit opened for days/ weeks)

Ca: MR 422 ppm, Hanna 428 ppm
Mg: MR 1315 ppm, Red Sea Pro 1320 ppm
Salinity: MR 35 ppt, Hanna 34.0 ppt (I just calibrated it)
Alk: MR 6.6 dKH, Hanna 6.6 dKH
Nitrate: 10 ppm, Hanna LR-Diluted 9.7 ppm
Phosphate: 0.2 ppm, Hanna 0.29 ppm

Very close on all of the tests. Salinity was a little off, but that can be finicky. In particular I was interested in the Alk value because I typically see a discrepancy between Trident calibration fluid values and the Hanna.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely done. Tagging @Rick Mathew. Will have to remember the FM multi reference product. Seems like it would help a lot of curious folks.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked all of my Hanna Kits against the Fauna Marin Multi-Reference sample. Thought this may be useful for others in case you were wondering about accuracy of the tests. Results may vary depending on how reproducible you are with the kits. All tests were done immediately after receiving the sample (the sample did not sit opened for days/ weeks)

Very close on all of the tests. Salinity was a little off, but that can be finicky. In particular I was interested in the Alk value because I typically see a discrepancy between Trident calibration fluid values and the Hanna.
Nice work...I find this reference sample a good check on my testing methods just as you have...thanks for sharing.

Rick

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great job. I very much appreciate when folks share data. I hope others having trouble or concerns with their test kits follow your example.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You may have already seen these but just in case...I put up a 4 part article titled "Getting it Right" and it discusses this idea of test validation...You are setting a good example by posting these results...Thanks again

Rick

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

hello, can you explain how you perform the test? Do you use the solution instead of hanna solution ? can you please explain. most of my stuff Hanna on calcium is salifert. Salifert has multiple things that needs to be added, so I am not how it works

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, can you explain how you perform the test? Do you use the solution instead of hanna solution ? can you please explain. most of my stuff Hanna on calcium is salifert. Salifert has multiple things that needs to be added, so I am not how it works

Thanks

You just test the Fauna Marin sample as if it were tank water.

Assuming Fauna Marin makes the standard correctly, its a much better test than using the Hanna colored water vials that only check the electronics and not the reagents or procedures.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You just test the Fauna Marin sample as if it were tank water.

Assuming Fauna Marin makes the standard correctly, its a much better test than using the Hanna colored water vials that only check the electronics and not the reagents or procedures.
For hanna alkalinity you do tank water then add color to test color difference. So in this case test saltwater on C1 then replace with fauna Marin and test for C2? And similar way to rest of the kits?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For hanna alkalinity you do tank water then add color to test color difference. So in this case test saltwater on C1 then replace with fauna Marin and test for C2? And similar way to rest of the kits?

I do not have the Hanna directions at hand.

If you want use the Fauna Marin standard, then you use your kit (of any kind) on some of that liquid exactly the same as if you had just removed it from your aquarium. All other controls are also done that way. If the Hanna calls for a blank reading that would be aquarium water without reagents, then you use the standard without reagents, etc.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not have the Hanna directions at hand.

If you want use the Fauna Marin standard, then you use your kit (of any kind) on some of that liquid exactly the same as if you had just removed it from your aquarium. All other controls are also done that way. If the Hanna calls for a blank reading that would be aquarium water without reagents, then you use the standard without reagents, etc.
Thanks Randy, appreciate your help always.

Back