Follow along as I pair maroon hybrids!

gobybryant

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2021
Messages
161
Reaction score
137
Location
Long Island
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last few weeks I’ve acquired not one, but two hybrid maroon clowns! The smaller clown is about 1.5-2” while the larger is 3-3.5”. The smaller clown was a little beat up from the shop, where it’s been for a few months, but it seems strong.

I’m attempting to pair them, but there’s been a lot of initial aggression from the larger clown (somewhat expected).

Lights are out now to reduce stress for the night. Here’s some photos!

DAB4DAEB-7E62-4797-B09E-37C9C3DE07DA.jpeg BB9320CF-246B-40B3-ADF4-FBEE5F01C4BE.jpeg 15C3261B-5F71-4F6E-A9E4-D92B640EE3B3.jpeg 231FBB64-B215-4AD4-B017-8172E777BD0B.jpeg CC944812-2B43-46B5-8505-428580404142.jpeg
 
Small update:
I went into the room where the tank is and noticed the smaller of the two clowns starting to submit to the larger, which is great news!
 
I’ll try to get a picture of the (somewhat) happy couple this morning. So far things are going well!
 
98508597-CA2B-4527-9E59-33D226BC67B1.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • 3F19AB13-6098-47AD-9B22-1FCF354FCAB4.jpeg
    3F19AB13-6098-47AD-9B22-1FCF354FCAB4.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 8749E6DA-F26C-4D56-9495-45FF2D3DF70B.jpeg
    8749E6DA-F26C-4D56-9495-45FF2D3DF70B.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 35BBA7C2-2DAF-43EC-B805-A58E28B11C12.jpeg
    35BBA7C2-2DAF-43EC-B805-A58E28B11C12.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 72AB7B57-9D97-4527-A8C1-9CB12B4A0029.jpeg
    72AB7B57-9D97-4527-A8C1-9CB12B4A0029.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 125
Following. I have paired maroons several times but did not have luck trying two at once. I was only successful having an established female first then introducing the smallest one I could find as the male
Yea I find that there typically has to be a significant size difference on maroons. Took my chances here since the smaller clown is decently sized, but so far so good.

Likely the only opportunity to pair two wild caught hybrids together. The only other wild caught pair I think I’ve ever seen belonged to Julian Sprung.
 
Where did you buy them? I would be interested in getting a pair!
 
I got lucky with these two. I've paired a few maroons regular and gold and it went well and a few when it went not so well.

Got these two last october, instant pair, smaller male submitted immediately to the female. Came from same LFS, different tanks.
PXL_20230222_042058562.jpg
 
It’s interesting that clowns from two different genus’ can hybridise. I wonder if the the two are both the same hybrids and if they can create fertile offspring. It would be fascinating if the each of these two hybrids were in fact different and created a 3-way hybrid!
 
The larger one is likely biaculeatus x frenatus and the smaller of the pair looks more like biaculeatus x clarkii (less sure of this one tbh).

Both individuals lack spines on the cheek, which is interesting.
 
It’s interesting that clowns from two different genus’ can hybridise. I wonder if the the two are both the same hybrids and if they can create fertile offspring. It would be fascinating if the each of these two hybrids were in fact different and created a 3-way hybrid!
This is the most interesting part to me. Since they’re WC, it’s more likely that two pairs just spawned in close proximity.
 
The larger one is likely biaculeatus x frenatus and the smaller of the pair looks more like biaculeatus x clarkii (less sure of this one tbh).

Both individuals lack spines on the cheek, which is interesting.
Figured the female had some tomato in her, lol. She will be a mean old hag.
 
Now that these two love bugs aren't killing each other, I'll be searching for a nice BTA to add to their home. Keeping my eye out for something unique!
 
Cool! Good luck with the pair!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new