food choices

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i only have one fish that currently eats frozen food my lion refuses anything but live asame with my betta but i have been spot feeding all more corals that will eat. ive been doing a cup of tank water adding a cube of cycoplex brine shrimp and krill all soaked in DT's phytoplankton all my corals seem to love it normally there is mysis as well but im currently out lol. my questions is what methods do some of yall use because with me new tank all fish will be friendly and i want to keep everything good healthy and growing lol

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never used the flake food but i might need to with the new tank im just trying to see if others soak there food befor feeding my tang cant ever seem to get enought of it and the corals seem to love it. just dont want to harm anythign by soaking in phyto

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to use DT's but don't anymore. I think i always over feed with it. When i used it i always had algae growth in my tank. Plus the stuff gets too costly.

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
umm so i take it its easy to over feed ?i use 2 capfulls of the big bottle and i add to a cup of tank water and my mixed foods then go through with my turkey baster and feed all the corals whatever they dont grab the tang gets the rest. im also running a bullet skimmer by PM for up to 250 gal and it also has an mrc becket injector to add some extra power but i myself ive noticed some algea but ive been blaming on a dead spot in the front left corner thinking it was feeding the other algea or the fact i need new bulbs in my PC fixture

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I feed a variety of things, but don't always have them at the same time. They include krill, mysis, brine, ORA pellets, marine snow, bloodworms, formula two flakes (which about all my neon gobies will eat for some reason), prime reef flakes, nori, and a little mixture I made up of shrimp, scallops, nori, garlic extract, cyclopeeze, rotifers, silversides, and vitamins.

For your fish that won't eat frozen stuff, try using one of those clear rods that they use to feed eels. I'd soak a piece of shrimp or silverside in garlic (not necessary though), put it on the rod, and dangle it in front of the fish. If you're convincing enough, they'll think it's live. That worked for a lion fish I was watching over the summer.

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i had one and have tried it lol my lion is a stubborn one he will eat it and then spit it out once it figures out its not alive lol

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh that sucks. Hummm...maybe try a bunch of different foods until you find something he won't spit out. You could get creative like squid, scallops, fish, etc. What live stuff do you feed him now?

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i try for cheap damzel i hate to but its best for him but if times are ruff minnows and guppies and i do them 1 at a time so i can make sure nothing is left over suck to have a decaying fw fish in your reef lol

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i try for cheap damzel i hate to but its best for him but if times are ruff minnows and guppies and i do them 1 at a time so i can make sure nothing is left over suck to have a decaying fw fish in your reef lol

Expensive meal. I feed my lion ghost shrimps for like a year. Then i got tired of buying them and traded it in. Beautiful fish just too much trouble.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Whoa! Damsels! That must get expensive after a while. Do lion fish eat shrimp? You could try live shrimp, like the kind you get for bait fishing.

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i should try live shrimp cant believe i hadnt thought of that and i usually try to get one thats bigger so he only has to eat 1 to be full.lol and your right almost 10 bucks a pop needless to say he only gets one o week the rest are minnows lol only 12cents but ive never had any advers affects from feeding him minnows and he seems to love them lol

Back