Food to improve fish colors

jpcaram

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish foods are you familiar with for improving fish colors? My understanding is that different foods will target different colors. I'm having trouble with online searches for this, so I though I'd better ask the community!

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've seen, this is more of a freshwater than saltwater thing. You get a bit for coral coloration, but generally, if the feeding and habitat needs of the fish are met, it should be as colorful as it otherwise gets. Something that should help more broadly is using good quality food and using some variety in food, but I don't think, for example, that a clownfish will get any more vivid or contrast-y based on its diet unless that diet is missing something that it needs, in which case it will look somewhat worse.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rod's Original Blend frozen food also contains some Astaxanthin.
But he now makes a specific Astaxanthin blend top dressing.
Rod's Astaxanthin Blend

You can also buy Astaxanthin powder from Amazon or health food suppliers.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish foods are you familiar with for improving fish colors? My understanding is that different foods will target different colors. I'm having trouble with online searches for this, so I though I'd better ask the community!
White worms and live food make my fish colors beautiful.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its just a marketing gimmick. Any animal that has a good healthy natural diet will look better than an animal with a poor diet. I dont believe fish colors can be 'enhanced' because of a certain food.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astaxanthin is a red pigment found in Tigger pods, some shrimp, pacific salmon, etc. It's what give them the reddish/orangish/pinkish coloration. So, as shown in the study above, it does impact color - and it is found naturally in many fish foods in the ocean - but I'm not sure if it would improve all fish colors, or just those with red/orange/pink coloration (such as the clownfish studied above).

Interesting thing to learn about either way though.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its just a marketing gimmick. Any animal that has a good healthy natural diet will look better than an animal with a poor diet. I dont believe fish colors can be 'enhanced' because of a certain food.

Couldn't agree more with this. Color enhancing food claims are similar to all those "As Seen On TV" products that claim to save the world. :D

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astaxanthin is a carotenoid which will enhance reds, oranges, and yellows; you can do a quick search to find scientific studies which substantiates this. Spirulina has substances which will enhance greens and blues, you can also find science to back this up. There are natural foods which contains astaxanthin like shrimp, that;s why they turn orange when they die, and salmon.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spirulina has substances which will enhance greens and blues, you can also find science to back this up.
Now I know why my foxface has a random blue tint on his anal fins, I’m pretty sure I feed spirulina mysis or brine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've only heard of supplements to enhance reds and orange hues. I think in order to enhance other colors, you need to feed a good general diet, and offer great water quality. Some reef fish (Anthias, blue chromis) also seem to respond to water motion by having better color/activity.

Enhancement by Astaxanthin and other carotenoids is really subjective (to me anyway). I've fed it and never really noticed much of a difference. The reason why is there is no side by side control and the effects can be subtle. I DO think it is much more evident when fed to growing baby clownfish. Back in the day, when I began using copepod naups to raise clownfish, the difference between those fed just a few copepods versus those fed rotifers/brine only was really apparent.

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back