FOR FUN: Novice Nemo, Coralline Crusader to a Reefing Guru, which one are you?

Novice Nemo, Coralline Crusader to a Reefing Guru, which one are you?

• Novice Nemo

Votes: 69 25.5%
  • Invertebrate Inspired

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Coralline Crusader

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Aquascaping Artist

Votes: 23 8.5%
  • Aqua Chemist

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • Frag Fanatic

Votes: 31 11.4%
  • Polyp Paparazzi

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • DIY Maestro

Votes: 22 8.1%
  • Coral Conservationist

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • Reefing Guru

Votes: 23 8.5%

• Total voters

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
4cfdab62-d3b3-43fd-a5a7-dda5c656c69c_text.gif
Gotta start somewhere!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Master @mattdg," has a nice ring to it. You have correctly identified a significan milestone in reef aquarium enjoyment and the challenge to all of us to find this success is probably an unstated goal that us reefers have when we set out in the hobby to try our hand at growing corals and fish and other parts of the ocean ecosystem in our tiny indoor containments. There have got to be a few other milestones if we think about it, but at the moment I'm too bothered by personal life events to pull anymore out of my currently empty hat.

What I did notice about this poll posted here by @revhtree is that (currently, and earlier) the bias that is appearing in selections isn't pegging @10 (Reefing Guru) which is unusual in general for polls where all kinds of participant skill levels are asked to provide an evaluation of their own skills. I forget what the phenomena is called, but the typical response is more often for folks to self idetify at the upper end of the measurements, as people who are newer to the ranks with minimal success are so happy that they have achieved that level they believe that they are actually operating at the higher level because their own understanding of the entire subject blinds them to the many, many other aspects that can only be acquired with time at task. Somebody will recall the name of this bias, my recall for many subjects is abjectly low and getting worse with age and I can't hide it like I used to. But that aside;

I was amazed that the poll has reefers identifying strongly with the lower levels, meaning perhaps that reef keeping, with all of the challenges and trials and difficulities that come with attempting to keep a wild oceanic reef inside of our tiny home tanks teaches us fairly early that what god did when he set up his tank isn't easily mimicked in the confines of our homes. With knowledge, equipment, and effort and the driving determination to enjoy a successful tank we do accomplish small miracles when keeping or tanks thriving, or just striving as it often is, and clearly our hobby helps us to better evaluate ourselves and our expertise level than many other jobs or tasks or hobbies that people engage in.

I have always suspected this to be a valuable hobby for personal improvement but now we have data that shines the light on just how balanced and fair minded the reefing community is.

An Invertebrate Inspired-Frag Fanatic who hopes someday to finally achieve the self identification of a Reefing Guru, but I'm ok if I just can keep on reefing without too many STN/RTN incidents as I go, and zero henceforth would be fantastic but probably not realistic based upon my historical knowledge of my reef own keeping results.

Trash Ecommerce GIF by WIESEMANN 1893
Data Trends GIF by Socialbakers
I believe the phenomenon you are referring to is called the Dunning-Krueger Effect. Humility has a lot to do with it as experience is gained, imo. After you get knocked down a few times, you learn how to recover, but realize where your knowledge actually is.

Degenerate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small tank "and dreams of creating a reef" so I might not be a 1 yet. maybe 0.5. Once I get water in the tank I will upgrade my level to 0.75. So close!

Barncat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a Novice Nemo; my first ever reef tank is still in its waterless infancy. I'm researching hard though because I want to set myself up for success and give my future livestock the very best home possible! I'm hoping to get it started in August. It's a very theraputic diversion already and I can't wait until I can start adopting fish.❤️

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back