FOR FUN: Novice Nemo, Coralline Crusader to a Reefing Guru, which one are you?

Novice Nemo, Coralline Crusader to a Reefing Guru, which one are you?

• Novice Nemo

Votes: 69 25.5%
  • Invertebrate Inspired

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Coralline Crusader

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Aquascaping Artist

Votes: 23 8.5%
  • Aqua Chemist

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • Frag Fanatic

Votes: 31 11.4%
  • Polyp Paparazzi

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • DIY Maestro

Votes: 22 8.1%
  • Coral Conservationist

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • Reefing Guru

Votes: 23 8.5%

• Total voters

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would be more interested in where other people think I am. Not because I need validation, but because if there is something more that I can be doing to help others, give my anecdotal knowledge away, and be a better reefer in general then that is what I would want.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun, which one are you? :p

1. The "Novice Nemo" level: You start with a small tank, a couple of clownfish, and dreams of creating a reef like an R2R Reef Of The Month one day.

2. The "Invertebrate Inspired" level: Shrimps, crabs, and snails find their way into your tank, adding diversity and intrigue. When the lights go off your flashlight goes on.

3. The "Coralline Crusader" level: Things start to get serious and you start to see PINK! Your tank graduates to coralline algae, and you begin to expand your coral collection.

4. The "Aquascaping Artist" level: You've mastered the art of arranging live rock, the rock walls are replaced with floating islands and negative aquaspace.

5. The "Aqua Chemist" level: Two Part is no match for you! Water parameters are a breeze, and maintaining a balanced and healthy aquatic environment is a challenge you look forward to.

6. The "Frag Fanatic" level: Fragments of coral become your obsession as you grow and propagate these underwater anaimals. You might even sell some to turn a profit.

7. The "Polyp Paparazzi" level: You are the photosynthetic photographer because you're always looking to snap the most amazing reef photos.

8. The "DIY Maestro" level: You've mastered the art of building your own equipment and creating custom solutions for your reefing needs.

9. The "Coral Conservationist" level: You actively participate in reef conservation efforts, supporting sustainable practices and spreading awareness.

10. The "Reefing Guru" level: You've become a true authority in the reefing community, sharing your knowledge, guiding others, and making waves in the hobby.

So which one are you?

Welcome.jpg

image via @Jedi1199
Inverts!! Im always looking at my invert friends after lights out with a flashlight! I get to see all my fish friends during the day but I love to see my inverts at night!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great posts everyone! :p

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely a 2 in spirit, but experience wise I'm closer to 6-7. Nothing makes me happier than the little guys that come out at night. I discovered a 1MM long snapping shrimp living on my clam's shell a few nights ago, as an example.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun, which one are you? :p

1. The "Novice Nemo" level: You start with a small tank, a couple of clownfish, and dreams of creating a reef like an R2R Reef Of The Month one day.

2. The "Invertebrate Inspired" level: Shrimps, crabs, and snails find their way into your tank, adding diversity and intrigue. When the lights go off your flashlight goes on.

3. The "Coralline Crusader" level: Things start to get serious and you start to see PINK! Your tank graduates to coralline algae, and you begin to expand your coral collection.

4. The "Aquascaping Artist" level: You've mastered the art of arranging live rock, the rock walls are replaced with floating islands and negative aquaspace.

5. The "Aqua Chemist" level: Two Part is no match for you! Water parameters are a breeze, and maintaining a balanced and healthy aquatic environment is a challenge you look forward to.

6. The "Frag Fanatic" level: Fragments of coral become your obsession as you grow and propagate these underwater anaimals. You might even sell some to turn a profit.

7. The "Polyp Paparazzi" level: You are the photosynthetic photographer because you're always looking to snap the most amazing reef photos.

8. The "DIY Maestro" level: You've mastered the art of building your own equipment and creating custom solutions for your reefing needs.

9. The "Coral Conservationist" level: You actively participate in reef conservation efforts, supporting sustainable practices and spreading awareness.

10. The "Reefing Guru" level: You've become a true authority in the reefing community, sharing your knowledge, guiding others, and making waves in the hobby.

So which one are you?

Welcome.jpg

image via @Jedi1199
Not sure where this fits

Maybe it doesn't? :cool: :dizzy-face::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is interesting. I always though it would be awesome to officially earn a "master reefer' title. There are masters in so many other areas of expertise. Why not reefing? Haha! Seems after 10-20 years of doing this, most of us who make it thus far have earned some sort of cool title, or a plaque to hang hear the tank. I suppose the reward is the reef. That said, I remember the very day I realized.. "hey wait, I can actually grow SPS cora"l! I wanted to shout it out my apt window like everyone in the world must care about such a skill! Right?! Anyone??!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok Rev, I don't fit any of these. I am just an average reefer trying to keep things going, conservatively purchase coral and have a nice looking tank!
So that would be a 14.675: I Do What I Want

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to go with 2. The invertebrate inspired by the definitions given. However, that is not entirely an adequate description of me as I have been in the hobby more than 2 decades.
I have raised clownfish from eggs and seahorses from fry. I have never experienced a tank crash since the 90s. I have tanks and fish for more than a decade and I do things old school but it works for me. So call me whatever you want but I think I would call myself successful.
IMG_20230218_160011971.jpg
Your tank is stunning.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. I always though it would be awesome to officially earn a "master reefer' title. There are masters in so many other areas of expertise. Why not reefing? Haha! Seems after 10-20 years of doing this, most of us who make it thus far have earned some sort of cool title, or a plaque to hang hear the tank. I suppose the reward is the reef. That said, I remember the very day I realized.. "hey wait, I can actually grow SPS cora"l! I wanted to shout it out my apt window like everyone in the world must care about such a skill! Right?! Anyone??!
"Master @mattdg," has a nice ring to it. You have correctly identified a significan milestone in reef aquarium enjoyment and the challenge to all of us to find this success is probably an unstated goal that us reefers have when we set out in the hobby to try our hand at growing corals and fish and other parts of the ocean ecosystem in our tiny indoor containments. There have got to be a few other milestones if we think about it, but at the moment I'm too bothered by personal life events to pull anymore out of my currently empty hat.

What I did notice about this poll posted here by @revhtree is that (currently, and earlier) the bias that is appearing in selections isn't pegging @10 (Reefing Guru) which is unusual in general for polls where all kinds of participant skill levels are asked to provide an evaluation of their own skills. I forget what the phenomena is called, but the typical response is more often for folks to self idetify at the upper end of the measurements, as people who are newer to the ranks with minimal success are so happy that they have achieved that level they believe that they are actually operating at the higher level because their own understanding of the entire subject blinds them to the many, many other aspects that can only be acquired with time at task. Somebody will recall the name of this bias, my recall for many subjects is abjectly low and getting worse with age and I can't hide it like I used to. But that aside;

I was amazed that the poll has reefers identifying strongly with the lower levels, meaning perhaps that reef keeping, with all of the challenges and trials and difficulities that come with attempting to keep a wild oceanic reef inside of our tiny home tanks teaches us fairly early that what god did when he set up his tank isn't easily mimicked in the confines of our homes. With knowledge, equipment, and effort and the driving determination to enjoy a successful tank we do accomplish small miracles when keeping or tanks thriving, or just striving as it often is, and clearly our hobby helps us to better evaluate ourselves and our expertise level than many other jobs or tasks or hobbies that people engage in.

I have always suspected this to be a valuable hobby for personal improvement but now we have data that shines the light on just how balanced and fair minded the reefing community is.

An Invertebrate Inspired-Frag Fanatic who hopes someday to finally achieve the self identification of a Reefing Guru, but I'm ok if I just can keep on reefing without too many STN/RTN incidents as I go, and zero henceforth would be fantastic but probably not realistic based upon my historical knowledge of my reef own keeping results.

Trash Ecommerce GIF by WIESEMANN 1893
Data Trends GIF by Socialbakers

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is stunning.
Aw, thank you Propane. My tank looks good but my photography stinks, so it was really kind of you to say such a nice thing about my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back