Found fleas on my cat and in my house. House being bombed Monday...

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m panicking. The house is being bombed Monday. I cannot move my tank. What am I going to do?

I was thinking of maybe covering it with a plastic bag....?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used foggers (bug bombs) at my house in the past. I just put towels over my tanks and ran carbon. This worked great for me but do some research and do what you think is best

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m panicking. The house is being bombed Monday. I cannot move my tank. What am I going to do?

I was thinking of maybe covering it with a plastic bag....?
Definitely treat the cat. Don’t waste money or risk your tank by bombing the house. A Seresto collar by Bayer is an excellent way to treat the cat. And the cat wearing the collar will clean up your house in 4-6 weeks. Is the cat your only pet?

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this year, the kittens I fostered brought fleas with them. I used a powdered product (link below- shop around for best price) that has worked really well. It's not so fine that it aerosolizes, so you can use it (carefully) around the tank, and on furniture, baseboards, etc. It's not an instantaneous fix, but I went from wearing socks peppered with fleas to next to none in a few weeks. It's advertised as being effective over 6months too, so long as it's kept dry (ie, reapply after cleaning carpets, etc). Gotta keep up with the vacuuming, though. And it's pet-safe immediately after application. Remove your cat (put it in the car for a minute?), apply the powder and brush it in, and then let your cat back in. Oh, and get some decent flea/tick prevention for the cat. It's a good investment. Wish I'd Dawn dishsoap-bathed those little foster kittens before sticking them in my spare bedroom- could have saved myself a lot of trouble!

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely treat the cat. Don’t waste money or risk your tank by bombing the house. A Seresto collar by Bayer is an excellent way to treat the cat. And the cat wearing the collar will clean up your house in 4-6 weeks. Is the cat your only pet?
Yes only pet. I’m going to buy a flea collar tomorrow
My roommate (cousin) won’t listen to me and he refuses to do anything else other the bombing the house. So I’m not going to fight with him and just let him do it.

why are people saying to put a towel over the tank instead of bag???

house is being bombed Monday regardless of what I say.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The towel won't deprive the tank of oxygen like a bag would. Like I said I have had success with this method but really it isn't ideal for the fishs health (or for your health) to pump poison through the air of your home

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The towel won't deprive the tank of oxygen like a bag would. Like I said I have had success with this method but really it isn't ideal for the fishs health (or for your health) to pump poison through the air of your home
That’s what I told him, luckily we live in a condo but he’s very hard headed

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes only pet. I’m going to buy a flea collar tomorrow
My roommate (cousin) won’t listen to me and he refuses to do anything else other the bombing the house. So I’m not going to fight with him and just let him do it.

why are people saying to put a towel over the tank instead of bag???

house is being bombed Monday regardless of what I say.
Make sure you get the Bayer Seresto collar. Will work for 8 months. Fleas will be dead on cat in 24-36 hours and as new fleas from the house jump on the cat they will die before they can lay eggs breaking the life cycle. House would be clean in 4-6 weeks. Bombs are not as effective. They are expensive and risky and just not necessary anymore because of the excellent products you can use on the animal.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you get the Bayer Seresto collar. Will work for 8 months. Fleas will be dead on cat in 24-36 hours and as new fleas from the house jump on the cat they will die before they can lay eggs breaking the life cycle. House would be clean in 4-6 weeks. Bombs are not as effective. They are expensive and risky and just not necessary anymore because of the excellent products you can use on the animal.
Like I said he’s not listening.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were happening whether I liked it or not, I’d wrap the tank in plastic, place an air pump outside the house and run an airline into the tank. That’s the best way I can think of to maintain oxygen in the tank without exposing it to the poison.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being someone who has to bomb often, it’s not as complicated as it seems.

First off, I also highly recommend Seresto collars. They aren’t cheap but very well worth their cost.

Second, I prefer to use press n seal. Turn off the filters/overflows/pumps/powerheads ect. Remove the light. Place press n seal across the entire top of the tank. Do the same with the sump. Make sure you press it. It’ll seal nicely as long as the outside is not wet. After the bombs are set, and you can open the house, remove and toss the wrap. I don’t like cling wrap and towels are too porous to me. I’ve done this many times over the years with every tank I’ve had and haven’t had a loss.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being someone who has to bomb often, it’s not as complicated as it seems.

First off, I also highly recommend Seresto collars. They aren’t cheap but very well worth their cost.

Second, I prefer to use press n seal. Turn off the filters/overflows/pumps/powerheads ect. Remove the light. Place press n seal across the entire top of the tank. Do the same with the sump. Make sure you press it. It’ll seal nicely as long as the outside is not wet. After the bombs are set, and you can open the house, remove and toss the wrap. I don’t like cling wrap and towels are too porous to me. I’ve done this many times over the years with every tank I’ve had and haven’t had a loss.
What’s press n seal??

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could you saran swrap the top of the tank real tight than air out the place. I would think that would be enough.. if make it real tight and use lots so it stays in place.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back