Found fleas on my cat and in my house. House being bombed Monday...

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a dog that was allergic to fleas and had a severe skin reaction to topical treatments (chemical burn, it was horrible!).
We used a pill that instantly killed the fleas and worked for at least 24 hours. So sorry, I can’t recall the name of it...I think it may have been Comfortis.
We also use diatomaceous earth.
You can put it on the cat, bedding, carpet, couch, yourself, anywhere. It can also be given by mouth for internal parasites.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a Seresto collar for cats. Don’t buy some cheap junk for dogs or cats.
I did but after reading the horror stories online I cant risk something happening to my cat ill be extremely heartbroken.

She gets a monthly subscription of revolution feline 5-15LBS NF. Im going to restart her on that.

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure whatever flea treatment you use specifically says it’s for cats on the box. This came up at random and it was an unsolicited story but my plumber told me this story about his girlfriend putting the wrong flea medicine on her cat and it immediately started convulsing and eventually died. Pretty terrible. I believe dog and cat flea meds are different. I don’t mean to scare you but it is better to be informed if this can happen.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t read thru the whole thread but I’m curious why you need to bomb the whole place? I’ve had massive flea infestations, twice, and never needed to bomb my house. Treat the cats, vacuum floors daily, and clean the sheets/all other fabrics in the washer and then spray them with flea treatment (repeat every few days or weekly). The fleas, eggs and larve will all die eventually. I have used this method more than once with success. Never caused harm to my tank.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure whatever flea treatment you use specifically says it’s for cats on the box. This came up at random and it was an unsolicited story but my plumber told me this story about his girlfriend putting the wrong flea medicine on her cat and it immediately started convulsing and eventually died. Pretty terrible. I believe dog and cat flea meds are different. I don’t mean to scare you but it is better to be informed if this can happen.
I bought the cat one 100% literally has a huge tabby on it. And bought it at Pet Supply plus so I know its legit.

The monthly medication I receive is for cats directly from VCA (Animal hospital here in south florida)

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a dog that was allergic to fleas and had a severe skin reaction to topical treatments (chemical burn, it was horrible!).
We used a pill that instantly killed the fleas and worked for at least 24 hours. So sorry, I can’t recall the name of it...I think it may have been Comfortis.
We also use diatomaceous earth.
You can put it on the cat, bedding, carpet, couch, yourself, anywhere. It can also be given by mouth for internal parasites.
How did that work?

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using dog flea treatment on cats will absolutely cause kidney/renal failure and potentially death if not treated immediately. Dog flea treatment can be fatal to cats. Everyone should/needs to know this! Flea treatment is not to be used willynilly. Breaks my heart to hear pets lost in that way, so easily preventable :-(

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the cat one 100% literally has a huge tabby on it. And bought it at Pet Supply plus so I know its legit.

The monthly medication I receive is for cats directly from VCA (Animal hospital here in south florida)
Whatever the hospital has is definitely your best bet. That stuff works really well too. I don’t think you would need to bomb your place if your cat gets back on the medicine unless it’s an out of control infestation. I’ve missed my dogs medicine before and seen a bunch of fleas but once I got him back on it it was fine.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C5A9633A-9502-412F-8050-7D120A33553A.jpeg

I think I was able to stop my roommate(cousin) from bombing the house.

He said he’ll give it a month but I’m sure I can postpone it even longer.

This morning I did a full clean of the house I vacuumed everything moved the couch and rugs and mopped.
So time will tell.. I didnt see a single trace of any fleas on the couch.

So for now my aquarium is safe

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did that work?

The Comfortis pills worked wonderfully! It instantly gave our dog relief. No side effects. And gave us time to use the diatomaceous earth. DE takes a little time to work because it kills the fleas by scratching their exoskeleton and makes them dehydrate. As a bonus it also works on other undesirable insects.

I would read up on what impact the bombing may have on your health (and your cat’s). It has been a while since I researched, but I believe you are suppose to wash down all eating surfaces and such after the bombing. Which would also lead me to believe you would need to use caution with all aquarium supplies, buckets, nets, etc. I could be completely wrong, but may be worth looking into.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Comfortis pills worked wonderfully! It instantly gave our dog relief. No side effects. And gave us time to use the diatomaceous earth. DE takes a little time to work because it kills the fleas by scratching their exoskeleton and makes them dehydrate. As a bonus it also works on other undesirable insects.

I would read up on what impact the bombing may have on your health (and your cat’s). It has been a while since I researched, but I believe you are suppose to wash down all eating surfaces and such after the bombing. Which would also lead me to believe you would need to use caution with all aquarium supplies, buckets, nets, etc. I could be completely wrong, but may be worth looking into.
I was able to stop him from doing it. I'm going to stress alternative methods, and provide sources to back up my statments

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes only pet. I’m going to buy a flea collar tomorrow
My roommate (cousin) won’t listen to me and he refuses to do anything else other the bombing the house. So I’m not going to fight with him and just let him do it.

why are people saying to put a towel over the tank instead of bag???

house is being bombed Monday regardless of what I say.
Ok I work for orkin. This is what I tell my customers. Skimmer off cover the tank with plastic and tape it down. Cover the sump as well tape it down. Anything that pulls air into the tank turn off. Leave covered for four hours. Run lots of carbon.

Bombing doesn't work. Fleas have a complete life cycle. Eggs larvae pupa adult like butterflies. To stop life cycle you must interrupt it. Pupa can't be killed. An adulticide and a growth regulator is needed. The adulticide will kill adults and larvae. The growth regulator is birth control for the eggs and pupa.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As myself and others mentioned, daily vacuuming is your best bet.

not seeing adult fleas is great but the eggs can lie dormant for weeks, and are usually laid in shaded areas like beneath couches behind cabinets etc. stay diligent with the vacuuming. It doesn’t hurt to also spray with flea treatment formulated for carpets/fabric. Any place your cat usually hangs out or sleeps should be vacuumed or cleaned daily.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
time to put my roomba back on overtime
Do you not have a regular vacuum? If not I’d recommend emptying that roomba waste cartridge often, like very often. And when you dump it, do it outside a ways from your house or into a bag closed tight after dumping.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you not have a regular vacuum? If not I’d recommend emptying that roomba waste cartridge often, like very often. And when you dump it, do it outside a ways from your house or into a bag closed tight after dumping.
I use the roomba twice a day and vaccum every other day. I empty them in the balcony

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I work for orkin. This is what I tell my customers. Skimmer off cover the tank with plastic and tape it down. Cover the sump as well tape it down. Anything that pulls air into the tank turn off. Leave covered for four hours. Run lots of carbon.

Bombing doesn't work. Fleas have a complete life cycle. Eggs larvae pupa adult like butterflies. To stop life cycle you must interrupt it. Pupa can't be killed. An adulticide and a growth regulator is needed. The adulticide will kill adults and larvae. The growth regulator is birth control for the eggs and pupa.
Tell me what I should do then?

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to stop him from doing it. I'm going to stress alternative methods, and provide sources to back up my statments
I also think your roommate should provide sources to back up his insisting need to Bomb the place. Cause bombing is less effective than a number of other options not to mention less dangerous for other life in the house including human and pet.

I understand the thought of living with fleas is torturous and bombing seems the quickest easiest way (I jumped to that conclusion too once) but I assure it’s not the best, for the fleas or for the living animals in your house including you and your roommate. Far from it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back