Foxface hiding constantly

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my Foxface for 5 months now. He has always been very personable and out and about in the tank. He was always first in line for feeding and is nice and plump. He seems to be in fine health. But for the last 2 weeks, he hides in the rocks day and night. Even when I feed he stays hidden. He will pop out and grab some food, but immediately goes back into hiding.
i have not added any new fish for several months and he gets along great with everyone in the tank.
Any ideas why he would be exhibiting this behavior?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the one hand, given the change in behavior, I would suspect illness— maybe Flukes, for example. On the other hand, I finally traded-in my 8” Onespot Foxface after years of it basically hiding (“boring!”) and continuing to be camouflaged at least 1/2 of the time (“boring!”). The fish took up a lot of ‘bio load real estate’ for a boring fish. :(

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your other fish? Maybe one just began to get more aggressive with him. Not all species stay great room mates. Mine seems to get bullied by my hippo tang and hides a lot but will come out to feed. Just one possibility!

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is definitely the boss of the tank. All of my other fish are much smaller than him. I have two clown fish, bangaii cardinal, midas blenny, and a flasher wrasse.
it might be he is just wanting to be left alone for a bit. I’ll give him more time.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is definitely the boss of the tank. All of my other fish are much smaller than him. I have two clown fish, bangaii cardinal, midas blenny, and a flasher wrasse.
it might be he is just wanting to be left alone for a bit. I’ll give him more time.
Definitely not them bullying. Lol. As jumbo shrimp mentioned keep an eye on if he stops eating for possible flukes etc!

Back