Foxface

courtstig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a one spot Foxface I slowly acclamated him to the quarantine .he is in the quarantine tank now and seems very stressed just sitting on the bottom all discolored and has its barbs up. Are they just super sensitive or could there be something wrong. He was fine at the fish store

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a one spot Foxface I slowly acclamated him to the quarantine .he is in the quarantine tank now and seems very stressed just sitting on the bottom all discolored and has its barbs up. Are they just super sensitive or could there be something wrong. He was fine at the fish store
Perfectly normal. They do this when stressed or scared. Since you just bought its a little of both they are a hardy fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above, this is normal. These fish are VERY hardy, just be careful to not scare it any more. That “Discoloured” is what he will look like when asleep, they change colour to be camouflaged in with the rockwork. Once he’s settled in, you will have a beautiful fish and a funny personality. If you ever see him going up to the surface and what looks like breathing surface O2, that’s normal mine does it every night (I have Siganus magnificus - Formerly Siganus Lo magnificus).

ricky817

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my old 75 setup, my fox was hiding in the back with his barbs up the first couple days. He quickly became the star of the show and was one of the more hardy fish I had. I loved watching him swim around and flair his barbs up for no apparent reason at all. I personally wouldn’t be worried, but keep an eye on him anyways.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my old 75 setup, my fox was hiding in the back with his barbs up the first couple days. He quickly became the star of the show and was one of the more hardy fish I had. I loved watching him swim around and flair his barbs up for no apparent reason at all. I personally wouldn’t be worried, but keep an eye on him anyways.
I love watching mine just hover in the middle of the tank for a few minutes then dart to another side in the tank!!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats out if my hand. It will take a couple of moths to settle in. They tend to be nervous Nellie's so move slow around the tank till it gets use to you. They can shed thier slime coat much like a lion fish its one of the reasons they are more resistant to external parasites

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats out if my hand. It will take a couple of moths to settle in. They tend to be nervous Nellie's so move slow around the tank till it gets use to you. They can shed thier slime coat much like a lion fish its one of the reasons they are more resistant to external parasites
I’ve never seen mine shed the slime coat but is that because they do it at night like the lionfish do?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few over the years and find them very skittish, so yes this is normal for them. Be careful of their venom if you stick your hand in the tank for maintenance!

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first brought mine home, I thought it would die for sure, laying down, and all brown, but it quickly recovered. I probably have him for over 5 years, grew quickly, and is doing very well. Other fish leaves him alone, he simply turns his spikes toward them, and they quickly learn. I heard a big splash once, and saw my clown in a corner, foxface next to him. Clown was very still and looking quite shaken up, It took quite a few minutes, before the clown started to move again. Foxface was his calm self. Lesson learned...

ricky817

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love watching mine just hover in the middle of the tank for a few minutes then dart to another side in the tank!!
They’re such cool fish with big personalities I think. They’re major algae eaters too. Mine would slam nori when my tank was too clean. I loved my clowns and gobies, but the cleaner shrimp and fox face were my favorite to watch.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is pretty sensitive until you drop food in then he is full of colour.
Mine didn't mind qt but took a few days to get used to it

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a bi color about a week and a half ago. I didn't think he would make it, but he's now out of his nervous phase and roaming the tank doing well. It definitely takes them some time to adjust to the new surroundings. Good info on here thanks to everyone for that.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not remember how fast it took him to reach his current size, but I think only about 1 year. He/she must be around 9 inches, and does not seem to be growing anymore. I have a purple tank for 2 years and it has not caught up with the foxface yet. Did not grow as quickly.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not remember how fast it took him to reach his current size, but I think only about 1 year. He/she must be around 9 inches, and does not seem to be growing anymore. I have a purple tank for 2 years and it has not caught up with the foxface yet. Did not grow as quickly.
I was told the foxface was a slow grower. I guess a tank upgrade will come sooner rather than later

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting, my Siganus magnificus is two years old, got it at 3 inch and it’s only 5 inch. What species of rabbitfish is yours?
I find the foxfaces (Who used to be part of the subgenus Lo but that got removed later on) to be MUCH slower growers than the other Rabbitfish. The foxfaces include:
Siganus magnificus
Siganus vulpinus
Siganus unimaculatus
Siganus uspi
Siganus niger

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back