Frag flat help

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7 year old display. SPS dominant and have recently put together a small frag tank next to it. It’s a shallow flat (2’ x 2’ x 12”)
The tank has its own return pump in the main displays sump. This goes to a UV, the. Splits out of the UV, half to the frag flat and half to the main display.
I certainly assumed with the aged system the attached frag tank would have no issues… wrong
What is the trick to getting through this algae phase? My thought at the moment is to keep a light bioload in the frag tank till it seasons up a bit.
I’m open to all tips and tricks, this is my first stab at this. I did it to get the frag racks and such off the glass in my main display and clean it up.

IMG_4122.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a "side car" tank as well. It has algae issues off and on despite being attached to my display. I ended up doing a deep clean (Scrubbing everything with a brush, including the plugs, and try to keep nutrients low) this seemed to be effective, but every once and a while I get algae that is not present in the display. The side car seems to be more prone to algae outbreaks, probably because I am running higher light and flow than the display. . . also less clean up crew.

Not sure that helps haha but it's all I can offer.

Also hello to a fellow Colorado reefer!

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a 7 year old display. SPS dominant and have recently put together a small frag tank next to it. It’s a shallow flat (2’ x 2’ x 12”)
The tank has its own return pump in the main displays sump. This goes to a UV, the. Splits out of the UV, half to the frag flat and half to the main display.
I certainly assumed with the aged system the attached frag tank would have no issues… wrong
What is the trick to getting through this algae phase? My thought at the moment is to keep a light bioload in the frag tank till it seasons up a bit.
I’m open to all tips and tricks, this is my first stab at this. I did it to get the frag racks and such off the glass in my main display and clean it up.

IMG_4122.jpeg
The frag tank may accumulate phosphate faster than the display tank and also I see different lights over the frag tank and if they have red and green diodes, they may be promoting algae,.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be the same water but any new surface like those ground frag shelves will need to go through a phase where they build up bacteria and resistance to algae

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, you mention return pump in sump of DT which returns water to the frag tank. How do you get water from frag tank to DT sump or DT?

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, you mention return pump in sump of DT which returns water to the frag tank. How do you get water from frag tank to DT sump or DT?
I have 2 return pumps in the sump. 1 goes straight up to the DT. The other goes to UV, then out of the UV I split the line, 1 side goes up to the frag tank and the other side goes up to the DT. That way it’s a full closed loop.
The drain for the overflow on the frag tank I plumbed down and drains in the same place as the DT…
So some reason this is something I havnt taken a picture of apparently, tomorrow I will see if I can capture a few pics of how I put it together. I tried to think of everything. Ball valves, check valves, unions. I think it turned out pretty nice. And it was a good way to incorporate the UV.

Attachments

• IMG_4081.png
    IMG_4081.png
    399.6 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Looking for ideas on plumbing a sidecar frag tank but into my basement sump.
Ok so here’s the pics of how I put it together.
1st pic, DT sump… the white pvc is coming off a pump, check valve inline for siphon, this goes to UV…. Al in this pic you can see the pvc that drains into the same place my DT drains.
2nd pic, under the sidecar frag tank in its stand. Into the UV from the DT pump, comes out, splits… 1 line goes up to frag tank jet nozzle, other line goes to 3rd pic into DT display. Both lines can be slowed or turned completely off with ball valve.
3rd pic, return coming out of UV into DT display.
4th pic, behind frag tank, drain has a union joint for easy removal if needed, goes to DT overflow drain to sump…. Inlet comes from UV as stated above..
Let me know if you have questions.

Attachments

• IMG_4281.jpeg
    IMG_4281.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4283.jpeg
    IMG_4283.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4282.jpeg
    IMG_4282.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4284.jpeg
    IMG_4284.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 4

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back