Frag, mini colony, colony

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And on principle, you could refuse to cut anything smaller every time someone PM's you with that specific request so that the frag us even cheaper regardless of your low starting price.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said. You're on a roll!!!

Feels great. It's been quite liberating to let the hobby be different for others than it is for me.

I've actually gained a lot of respect for those who are into nubs.

A frag is in fact any piece fragmented from a coral that can continue to grow.

Green slimer is a chuck taylor coral and is priced accordingly (cheap, often gifted for free).

Rainbow Envy is a limited edition Air Jordan priced accordingly and often purchased in limited quantities vs the dozens of pairs of Chuck Taylors I've worn out over the years.

The size these corals come is is much more related to their rarity than my shoe size.

Last edited:

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels great. It's been quite liberating to let the hobby be different for others than it is for me.

Green slimer is a chuck taylor coral and is priced accordingly (cheap, often gifted for free).

Rainbow Envy is a limited edition Air Jordan priced accordingly and often purchased in limited quantities vs the dozens of pairs of Chuck Taylors I've worn out over the years.
I'm glad this thread has got some opposing opinions! Allows people to actually discuss why things happen!

I actually really like your air Jordan analogy, you're right, some corals are much higher value than others in terms of their colours. The part I'll disagree with is that unfortunately basic corals are being cut at the same size as the "nubs" of air Jordans and priced higher than what a normal frag should be.
The issue though with using the comparison to limited edition air Jordans is that once the 500 pairs are made and sold there are no more. With a JF Homewrecker it's still being grown in a multitude of tanks, so it's never going to be limited edition as over time there will be more and more. Unfortunately I think that when the next amazing coral comes along the price will go up even further, you could draw comparison to the fees paid for football (soccer) players, they prices never drop, just constantly rise, even if the next most expensive player is no better than the last!

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The size these corals come is is much more related to their rarity than my sho

The size these corals come is is much more related to their rarity than my shoe size.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you said you were going to let this thread be. Enjoy "your" hobby. Let us enjoy ours.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man, I totally peaced out and then took the bait and jumped back in like I said I wouldn't.

I'll leave it alone for good now.

cheelayqeelay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have corals 2-4 inches or bigger. I don't consider them colonies. And I wouldn't dare cut them yet. If one broke accidentally? I'd frag it, but wouldn't sell it. I personally think a colony should be big enough to be able to cut 4-5 frags without decimating the coral and then sell them.
But, sadly you're right. This is what the hobby has become.
This. A “colony” is something you could grab a handful of frags off without issue.

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dis

Attachments

• 33BBB352-12C6-456C-B593-20A97B1B96AA.jpeg
    33BBB352-12C6-456C-B593-20A97B1B96AA.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 56

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back