Frag Rack Hole Spacing?

Cdipasquale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to drill a few frag racks and wanted some input on spacing. I don't have any existing racks to measure besides egg crate. Anybody have a rack they love the spacing on can give me some measurements? Just laying out some plugs, I'm leaning towards 1-1/4" on center holes, staggering each row, with 1-1/4" on center between rows. Is that too tight?

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using egg crate I normally use every other hole so with 3/4" egg crate That would make the center point 1-1/2" from the first to the 3rd and 3rd to the 5th and so on. Using every other space I never seem to have an issue with overlapping so I would imagine 1-1/4" should work as well but that would depending on what size frag plugs you are using as well.

OP
OP
Cdipasquale

Cdipasquale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I lay them out that way as well and it seems like there is wasted space between them, especially for small stuff like zoas. I was hoping someone had one of the commercially made racks they like that could shed some light on how they are spaced. Thanks!

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I lay them out that way as well and it seems like there is wasted space between them, especially for small stuff like zoas. I was hoping someone had one of the commercially made racks they like that could shed some light on how they are spaced. Thanks!
My rack is 2" OC and holes are 1/2". Do what's works best for you

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also take into account different sized plugs. 1” round, 2” round, square...etc.

If ONLY making your own frags then easy answer would be to get a plug you like and build the rack to suit them...and you.

If also purchasing frags, you may never know what size you get, so extra spacing may be nice as a “just in case”.

For example: Me, I’m a hobbiest, so whenever I make frags I recycle plugs that I’ve received in the past. Whatever size the frag fits best on is what I grab. Or depending how many I have left is what it goes on.

OP
OP
Cdipasquale

Cdipasquale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, I went with 1-1/2 spacing with 1/2" holes and it works perfect. Definitely could have gone closer but then I risk larger frags touching so I think this was the perfect compromise.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the frag plugs I have come across have 1/2" stems. Although they will fit into a new 1/2" hole, over time the rack will start getting a little crusty making them just a bit too small. That's why I went the the 9/16 holes in mine.

OP
OP
Cdipasquale

Cdipasquale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the frag plugs I have come across have 1/2" stems. Although they will fit into a new 1/2" hole, over time the rack will start getting a little crusty making them just a bit too small. That's why I went the the 9/16 holes in mine.
Too late now hahaha. I guess I'll be scraping the "crusty" out of the holes when this becomes a problem.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back