Frag tank advice

Carson789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm relatively new to reefing but I've had fish tanks all my life. I've been looking into setting up a frag tank to start propagating my zoas and some high end mushrooms. I want to stay around $2000 if possible does any anybody have any suggestions on a tank to use. I have an ai prime hd light and I like it and get good growth so I was planning on using one or 2 for the frag tank. But if anyone has suggestions for a nice tank or other equipment I should look into for building a frag tank around that price I'd greatly appreciate it

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider either a botanicare style hydroponic reservoir

or a rectangular stock tank

Shipping will be prohibitive like it is for non custom aquariums but these items are regularly stocked at most farm supply and hydroponic supply stores.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prob much easier to find an oval stock tank, if you don't mind the shape they are a great option as well for the price.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be surprised how many permanent frag setups use these. They plumb up just the same.

Food for thought: Stock tanks are meant to "permanently" sit outside in the sun/rain/snow and hold water for longer than most ppl stay in the hobby anymore.

I prob would have gone this route if I hadn't lucked into a couple of free frag tanks.

OP
OP
Carson789

Carson789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wanting to use an actual acrylic tank just cause it's going to be inside so I still want it to look nice. Would yall recommend a aio tank or something with a sump. The max I would want to spend is about 2k but obviously less is better lol. I was thinking about getting a low boy tank maybe a 2ft square or bigger. I want to have room for a rubble section for growing shrooms and the rest for growing out zoas and maybe some of the challice corals I have. I don't really plan on growing acros or anything like that in it but maybe in the future. Also does anybody have any advice on what I could grow my zoas out on to make them easy to separate when it comes time to frag?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find one local(often at reptile stores they can order for you) i think the zoo med 50 lowboy(48x24x10) is really good for a frag tank. Non tempered so can drill if you doing sump. If not doing sump it is not a great option as it is a shallow tank and hard time fitting rock/filtration in there and still leaving room for frag racks.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wanting to use an actual acrylic tank just cause it's going to be inside so I still want it to look nice. Would yall recommend a aio tank or something with a sump. The max I would want to spend is about 2k but obviously less is better lol. I was thinking about getting a low boy tank maybe a 2ft square or bigger. I want to have room for a rubble section for growing shrooms and the rest for growing out zoas and maybe some of the challice corals I have. I don't really plan on growing acros or anything like that in it but maybe in the future. Also does anybody have any advice on what I could grow my zoas out on to make them easy to separate when it comes time to frag?

If you have some diy ability a 50 lowboy with 40b sump and diy stand can easily be done under $2k even with mid/high end lights. Less than $500 for both tanks including plumbing/bulkheads/sump dividers/etc. Leaves you $1500 for lights/pumps/heaters and even a skimmer if you plan to run one.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a doubt Advanced Acrylics for the tank, sump too. They have many stock sizes, and will make a custom tank within reason (like changing internal overflow to external) for you for the same or nearly the same price. Free shipping as well. I have one of theirs in a 24 x 20 x 12 and the workmanship is top notch. I almost pulled the trigger on a 24 x 72 x 12 but bought a used one locally, or I would have 2 of their tanks. They make some nice frag racks as well, I have full sets in both of my frag tanks.

https://advancedacrylics.com/collections/frag-tanks-1

OP
OP
Carson789

Carson789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was
Without a doubt Advanced Acrylics for the tank, sump too. They have many stock sizes, and will make a custom tank within reason (like changing internal overflow to external) for you for the same or nearly the same price. Free shipping as well. I have one of theirs in a 24 x 20 x 12 and the workmanship is top notch. I almost pulled the trigger on a 24 x 72 x 12 but bought a used one locally, or I would have 2 of their tanks. They make some nice frag racks as well, I have full sets in both of my frag tanks.
I'll definitely have to look into that

OP
OP
Carson789

Carson789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also considering an aio tank, something like this
If I got this I think one ai prime then an ato with a tank in the stand heater and all the frag racks an stuff. Does anyone have experience using an aio tank for a frag tank or is that a bad idea.

OP
OP
Carson789

Carson789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just edited my last post to include a link.
I like the aio frag tanks they have I just wish they were 12 inches deep not 6. I was looking at the custom section but I didn't see an option to do an aio tank there so I guess if I used them I'd do a sump

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back