Fraggin coral does it increase growth?

Reef keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you frag your corals to get them to grow?
I find that when i frag my softies ( zoanthids and palythoas), sps (montis acros) they tend to grow faster than what they did when not fragged!

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes when a piece of sps stops growing(usually a smaller piece or frag) I will frag it to get it going. It usually works.

But there could be many reasons a coral is not growing. Too much light, too little, water parameters or even pests. If that is the case, I don't thing fragging would be the best thing.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a huge colony of cali tort in my system, probably wouldn't fit in a 5g bucket at this point. I find that some areas don't grow while others are always growing. When it comes time to frag, I always frag the stunted areas. More often than not, those places grow back the fragmented size rather quickly.

In my experience, yes, this can be true. However, if your coral isn't growing at all, there is probably another issue. If it's growing great but only in one area, try fragging the region that isn't growing.

larryl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people say dragging polyps helps them to grow a bit quicker. I disagree I get better growth by letting them grow out and be healthy.

UCedumacasion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll regularly break chunks off of my corals (hards) to increase growth. As long as you aren't taking huge chunks off it should have a growth increase. I think of it as a fight or flight style response. I'll break my monti cap on the regular basis (mainly because I'm tired of it being so **** big) and then I'll look at it a week later and it will have regrown (*******.) but I've always done it. I've never taken serious sheers to it and cut it down to a stump (which would seriously stall growth) but taking a branch or a small piece off is a way a increase growth rates in my tank,

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back