Fraggin coral does it increase growth?

Reef keeper

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2011
Messages
949
Reaction score
83
Location
Earth
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you frag your corals to get them to grow?
I find that when i frag my softies ( zoanthids and palythoas), sps (montis acros) they tend to grow faster than what they did when not fragged!
 
Sometimes when a piece of sps stops growing(usually a smaller piece or frag) I will frag it to get it going. It usually works.

But there could be many reasons a coral is not growing. Too much light, too little, water parameters or even pests. If that is the case, I don't thing fragging would be the best thing.
 
I have a huge colony of cali tort in my system, probably wouldn't fit in a 5g bucket at this point. I find that some areas don't grow while others are always growing. When it comes time to frag, I always frag the stunted areas. More often than not, those places grow back the fragmented size rather quickly.

In my experience, yes, this can be true. However, if your coral isn't growing at all, there is probably another issue. If it's growing great but only in one area, try fragging the region that isn't growing.
 
Some people say dragging polyps helps them to grow a bit quicker. I disagree I get better growth by letting them grow out and be healthy.
 
I'll regularly break chunks off of my corals (hards) to increase growth. As long as you aren't taking huge chunks off it should have a growth increase. I think of it as a fight or flight style response. I'll break my monti cap on the regular basis (mainly because I'm tired of it being so **** big) and then I'll look at it a week later and it will have regrown (*******.) but I've always done it. I've never taken serious sheers to it and cut it down to a stump (which would seriously stall growth) but taking a branch or a small piece off is a way a increase growth rates in my tank,
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new