Frayed fins over night.

Kanshi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to bed last night and my coral beauty looked perfect. Woke up to her with frayed tail. She is eating, swimming around, picking at rock and color is beautiful. No noticable aggresion from what I can see.
130 gallon
2 clowns, bangai, 2 bar rabbit, yellow watchman, tobacco basslet, chalk basslet, carpenter flasher wrasse. Skunk cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, cuc.

OP
OP
Kanshi

Kanshi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to bed last night and my coral beauty looked perfect. Woke up to her with frayed tail. She is eating, swimming around, picking at rock and color is beautiful. No noticable aggresion from what I can see.
130 gallon
2 clowns, bangai, 2 bar rabbit, yellow watchman, tobacco basslet, chalk basslet, carpenter flasher wrasse. Skunk cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, cuc.
Tail got worse over night.
Anyone?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the coral beauty? Are any other fish showing similar signs? Any other recent additions to the tank? A picture might be beneficial as well. Let's see if others have opinions..... #reefsquad , @Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on a picture taken under white light plus a short video perhaps.
Jay

OP
OP
Kanshi

Kanshi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All other fish look good.
Ill get a video when I get home.

OP
OP
Kanshi

Kanshi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20210422_150835.jpg
    20210422_150835.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 25

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal is the expert on this, but that to me looks like someone is enjoying a little snack of tail fins. I'd take a closer look at your suspect list.....maybe the basslets.

nipped tail.jpg

If you have a sump, put that poor guy down there to see if he recovers.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal is the expert on this, but that to me looks like someone is enjoying a little snack of tail fins. I'd take a closer look at you suspect list.....maybe the basslets.

nipped tail.jpg

If you have a sump, put that poor guy down there to see if he recovers.
Yeah if I had to guess, I’d say it’s one of basslets, but could potentially be one of the clowns too (didn’t say what kind they are), they can get pretty aggressive.

OP
OP
Kanshi

Kanshi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fish are model citizens.
CB has decided to move behind a rock at night that happens to be where my fire shrimp hangs out.
Chould it be him?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fish are model citizens.
CB has decided to move behind a rock at night that happens to be where my fire shrimp hangs out.
Chould it be him?

There is a midas blenny in your video, but it wasn't on your fish list. Did you have the blenny before you got the angel? These blennies can be really nasty. One trick is to set your cell phone up to video the whole tank, then leave the room. After time, cvome back and view the video for signs of aggression.

Jay

OP
OP
Kanshi

Kanshi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a midas blenny in your video, but it wasn't on your fish list. Did you have the blenny before you got the angel? These blennies can be really nasty. One trick is to set your cell phone up to video the whole tank, then leave the room. After time, cvome back and view the video for signs of aggression.

Jay
Yes midas before angel. He doesnt seem to bother anyone either. Actually saw the fire shrimp go after the angel pretty aggressively when it got near its spot which is where the angel has decided to go at night.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back