Freaked out about QT

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm freaked out about how much the fish I'm planning on buying. The idea of quarantine is scaring me more than I was just setting this up.

I've never spent this kind of money on fish and I'm afraid of all the treatments and this and that.

I feel like there's more chances to screw up this QT than I want to risk.

How many of you don't QT at all?

cmmatxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s worth it, i just lost a fish last week, from now on im going to quarantine if not i’m just buying from tsm

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get myself to pay the extra money, so maybe I'm back on the QT train.

Is copper power enough for treatment? I don't have a coper checker so that's another expense. I bought cupramine but see now that might be too harsh.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the Hana checker. A good QT setup will save you loads in the long run. You will have nice healthy fish in your DT which is less stress and worry for you. It really is simple. I kick myself for not doing this in the past.
Should I pitch the cupramine and get copper power?
Is there anything else I need to treat for or is the copper enough?

I'm really stressed about starting this qt

Familyman2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm freaked out about how much the fish I'm planning on buying. The idea of quarantine is scaring me more than I was just setting this up.

I've never spent this kind of money on fish and I'm afraid of all the treatments and this and that.

I do not have a quarantine tank but I do use a 5 gallon from Home Depot that I place them in for some time with copper treatment.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m now only buying pre quarantined / wormed and eating fish. About $50-60 extra per fish but saves me losing them from either not eating or disease. I atleast know I’m buying a fish that is going to live and be safe to add to the tank

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m now only buying pre quarantined / wormed and eating fish. About $50-60 extra per fish but saves me losing them from either not eating or disease. I atleast know I’m buying a fish that is going to live and be safe to add to the tank
From where? I am assuming you are in Australia.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From where? I am assuming you are in Australia.
Yes Australia - Anything QT in Brisbane. Will source fish and quarantine them. Usually has a very wide variety of fish in stock ready to go at any given time. Ships anywhere in Aus

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I would ask your LFS to do it for you. Many will. (Mine does) - They can order the fish - keep them in their tank - and QT. It does add to the cost - but - I have not had an issue with a fish since stopping buying stressed sick fish online. (If you have an LFS). I make sure they are in the best health, eating, etc as well.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ask your LFS to do it for you. Many will. (Mine does) - They can order the fish - keep them in their tank - and QT. It does add to the cost - but - I have not had an issue with a fish since stopping buying stressed sick fish online. (If you have an LFS). I make sure they are in the best health, eating, etc as well.
I would rather do this and maybe build up to my own QT in the future.

I will definitely check with them and would feel better about all of this , thanks.

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh I see I was just as worried about my Achilles. The guy I bought it from QT it for me. But yes I would QT it if you can. For that I would get a cheap heater sponge filter and 10g tank and qt myself. All that gear will be less than $100

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh I see I was just as worried about my Achilles. The guy I bought it from QT it for me. But yes I would QT it if you can. For that I would get a cheap heater sponge filter and 10g tank and qt myself. All that gear will be less than $100
I have the tank and stuff but don't have the treatments. I think I'm just worried about messing up the parameters in the QT right now as I'm pretty new to saltwater and just got my dt cycled.

I can get a Hannah copper checker and some copper power, will that be enough plus something else for parasites?

treat for internal parasites, that’s how i lost my black storm clown
Sorry about your clown, is there anything in particular you recommend for internal parasites?

cmmatxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tank and stuff but don't have the treatments. I think I'm just worried about messing up the parameters in the QT right now as I'm pretty new to saltwater and just got my dt cycled.

I can get a Hannah copper checker and some copper power, will that be enough plus something else for parasites?

Sorry about your clown, is there anything in particular you recommend for internal parasitesi

Sorry about your clown, is there anything in particular you recommend for internal parasites?
i used Seachem Metroplex and Focus mixed with Brighwell Garlic Power and pellet food, i have been dosing that in my DT for exactly a week now and i’ve seen great results, that saved my mocha storm clown that was starting to show signs of parasites (sunken belly and long white poop)

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used Seachem Metroplex and Focus mixed with Brighwell Garlic Power and pellet food, i have been dosing that in my DT for exactly a week now and i’ve seen great results, that saved my mocha storm clown that was starting to show signs of parasites (sunken belly and long white poop)
This. It's an easy treatment and works well. I have had so many with internal parasites I do this every time, showing symptoms or not.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back