Free ammonia levels pre and post bioload

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to record and evidence what happens to free ammonia levels in a newly setup tank using pre-cycled rock.

The tank was fully started yesterday and I had pre-cycled my aquascape in a Brute bin in the months leading up to this tanks arrival.

I will calliberate my seneye using my established tank and this will be the first readings we get upon activating the new slide.

The seneye will then be transferred into the new tank and results recorded.

A bio load of 2 fish will be added and free ammonia levels monitored thereafter.

You can follow the seneye real time at https://www.seneye.me/ludders/#p=85672

@brandon429 and I are expecting the conversion of any ammonia to occur quickly without allowing nh3 levels to rise and hold.

Tank Details:
50lbs of rock 40lbs sand.

2 Quarts of MarinePure Bio Spheres

4' tank total volume including the sump would be around 100 gallons, but with water displacement from rock, sand and equipment I would estimate around 87 gallons.

Theiling Compact Rollermat

Reef Octopus 150SS Skimmer

20210320_170320.jpg

Last edited:

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size and filtration outside of rock? How much rock? Pictures would be interesting too. Will be following!

also link requires login... you could be fancy and see if ittt or similar sites have the api to upload the data to a google doc

OP
OP
Ludders

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size and filtration outside of rock? How much rock? Pictures would be interesting too. Will be following!

also link requires login... you could be fancy and see if ittt or similar sites have the api to upload the data to a google doc
I'll edit my original post.

OP
OP
Ludders

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why the public url is not working for the seneye, I have contacted their support team.

I have calibrated the NH3 sensor on my 4 year old reef with a reading of 0.001 and set it back in the new system, which is obviously reading 0.000 at the moment.

Fish will be a tang and royal gramma hopefully.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to record and evidence what happens to free ammonia levels in a newly setup tank using pre-cycled rock.

The tank was fully started yesterday and I had pre-cycled my aquascape in a Brute bin in the months leading up to this tanks arrival.

I will calliberate my seneye using my established tank and this will be the first readings we get upon activating the new slide.

The seneye will then be transferred into the new tank and results recorded.

A bio load of 2 fish will be added and free ammonia levels monitored thereafter.

You can follow the seneye real time at https://www.seneye.me/ludders/#p=85672

@brandon429 and I are expecting the conversion of any ammonia to occur quickly without allowing nh3 levels to rise and hold.

Tank Details:
50lbs of rock 40lbs sand.

2 Quarts of MarinePure Bio Spheres

4' tank total volume including the sump would be around 100 gallons, but with water displacement from rock, sand and equipment I would estimate around 87 gallons.

Theiling Compact Rollermat

Reef Octopus 150SS Skimmer

20210320_170320.jpg
What did you do to pre-cycle the rocks?

OP
OP
Ludders

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3
This is pretty much a non event experiment so far, sorry guys.

Water parameters are pretty much stable. I have seen the royal gramma 5 times in the past 24 hours, so I know he hasn't kicked the can in the middle of the aquascape.

I have to move my boat tomorrow and am doing it in 2 legs, so won't be home until Thursday evening.

I am planning on increasing the bio load, possibly Friday if I get chance by adding my clownfish and possibly my coral beauty if I can catch him.

Screenshot_20210323-183937.jpg

20210323_184722.jpg

OP
OP
Ludders

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3
This is pretty much a non event experiment so far, sorry guys.

Water parameters are pretty much stable. I have seen the royal gramma 5 times in the past 24 hours, so I know he hasn't kicked the can in the middle of the aquascape.

I have to move my boat tomorrow and am doing it in 2 legs, so won't be home until Thursday evening.

I am planning on increasing the bio load, possibly Friday if I get chance by adding my clownfish and possibly my coral beauty if I can catch him.

Screenshot_20210323-183937.jpg

20210323_184722.jpg

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having used pre-cycled rock with Dr. Tims, why would you expect to get NH3 readings? Or did you just want to show that a pre-cycle tank is ready for bioload?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us what kind and how much food?
Just so we can estimate scale of N input that's being processed?

OP
OP
Ludders

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having used pre-cycled rock with Dr. Tims, why would you expect to get NH3 readings? Or did you just want to show that a pre-cycle tank is ready for bioload?
Yes exactly, see so many threads of people buying live rock then going through the cycle motions.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey I have something L we really, really need in the hobby

and its new data, never been done. we need it.

a human smell baseline assessment. now that you have the best nh3 meter, consider getting us a basic assessment of what a person can smell in reef tank water

because: of five million claimed stuck cycle threads, all are in clean water, animals fine, no smell, claiming 4 ppm daily stuck can't oxidize.

we can test for that now with your meter. but it needs to be reef water, slightly activated real use water vs clean sterile new water/shoring up confounds if possible.

can you smell 4 ppm true nh3 in water? does a dead cat smell in the Arizona sun? heh

can you smell .04

then .004? or as close as you can get to the approximations? if you ever get a chance, this is strong seneye use.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also

that tank is so large dilution. so low bioload the .001 just might be right.

soon it needs to move up at least once or twice to .003 ish or its not trimmed right yet. you are adding food, respirators via new opportunistic bacteria, compounding, nh3 shall be moving soon into its known range/seneye .002-.009

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that really does look darn accurate compared to dilution/age/no organics in place no growths only respiration source is the fish + collective bac loads which are still new and developing

Back