Free PAR meter? Photone App.

gobygrits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is this free app called Photone. It's used mostly by indoor gardeners to test PAR levels. This morning I had the brilliant idea to put my phone in a plastic bag and dunk it in my tank to see how it works. I'm currently waiting for my lights to ramp up so I can try it..
When I first got the idea like an hour ago I messaged the company on instagram to share my idea. Like all of my great ideas, someone already thought of it.. They responded right away with a recent blog they wrote up about this idea. And they even have some calibration tips. Here is a link to their blog: https://growlightmeter.com/underwater-par-measurements-for-reef-aquariums/

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following

OP
OP
G

gobygrits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it seems to take pretty consistent readings. But I don't have an actual PAR meter to compare results. I was mostly sharing this to see what more experienced reefers think about it. Hopefully someone will try it out next to an actual PAR meter.

reverc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it seems to take pretty consistent readings. But I don't have an actual PAR meter to compare results. I was mostly sharing this to see what more experienced reefers think about it. Hopefully someone will try it out next to an actual PAR meter.
From what I’m reading on it, it seems pretty close to an actual par meter. The app is calibrated with one and compared with an open air par meter but there is a conversion you have to do to get the underwater par readings and a special calibration. I’m going to set it up and rent an actual par meter

Jimmeh lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I downloaded it and just played with the free options a little bit. Parked my phone on the screen cover directly above my Walt Disney, maybe 1-1.5” off the water? Under a 32” photon v2 set at 10/10/85/15/85/85, with a thin paper diffuser taped on. I wonder how close it is without being set to the full spectrum led setting. I’m actually really curious to get that setting and a ziplock bag…or two.

749BFA99-9EA2-4FA2-B3A9-DBE086D34F21.jpeg

Back