Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my Smat Farm lights mounted 8" above my tank,
running the 6 channels at 10/60/60/60/10/10, at the water surface I got:

full spectrum 445 ppfd
white blue spectrum 645 ppfd

12 hr DLI = 18.1

Did not do any underwater measurements.
Did you have to calibrate it ? And also have you compared the PAR readings to another PAR meter ?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have to calibrate it ? And also have you compared the PAR readings to another PAR meter ?
no and no.
The android version doesn't require the filter, so no calibration needed as far as that.

I don't have anything else to compare to, sorry.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted earlier, but here are my results at my water surface, about 8" below my lights.

Smat Farm lights
Running 10/70/70/70/10/15

Using full spectrum resulted in lower PAR/DLI numbers.
Screenshot_20220124-204321_Photone.jpg

Screenshot_20220124-204450_Photone.jpg

Using the white blue spectrum, the resulting PAR and DLI were higher.
Screenshot_20220124-204344_Photone.jpg

Screenshot_20220124-204515_Photone.jpg

Cool app but with so much uncertainty over which spectrum to use I'm having trouble actually putting these results to any use.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted earlier, but here are my results at my water surface, about 8" below my lights.

Smat Farm lights
Running 10/70/70/70/10/15

Using full spectrum resulted in lower PAR/DLI numbers.
Screenshot_20220124-204321_Photone.jpg

Screenshot_20220124-204450_Photone.jpg

Using the white blue spectrum, the resulting PAR and DLI were higher.
Screenshot_20220124-204344_Photone.jpg

Screenshot_20220124-204515_Photone.jpg

Cool app but with so much uncertainty over which spectrum to use I'm having trouble actually putting these results to any use.
If you go to there site they have some great you tubes on the comparison and even between iPhone and Android ….
They also have the specs on which spectrum to use for what leds

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to there site they have some great you tubes on the comparison and even between iPhone and Android ….
They also have the specs on which spectrum to use for what leds
I've gone over the website can't still can't seem to figure this out...... below is what the site says as far as LED source settings..... I couldn't find any videos that dealt with this.

Which LED setting do I need?
If your LED grow light contains only a few or no white LED chips and looks purple, use the LED red / blue setting. If your grow light contains mostly white LED chips and looks white or yellow-ish, use the LED full spectrum setting. If your light is mostly blue, use the LED blue / white setting.

LED Grow Lights​

If your LED grow light contains only a few or no white LED chips and looks purple, use the LED red / blue setting. If your grow light contains mostly white LED chips and looks white or yellow-ish, use the LED full spectrum setting. Some LED lights that require the LED full spectrum setting might include pure red, pure blue, ultra-violet (UV) and infra-red (IR) chips as well. If your light is mostly blue, use the LED blue / white setting.

So if I'm trying to measure a light that uses a "puck array" style led like the Smat Farm or Noopsyche V3, I'm guessing I use full spectrum??? These lights have 6 channels. below are the channels and what % I'm running them now..
(these are new lights, so I'm in the process of ramping them up slowly)

10% CH1: 14000K Cool White
70% CH2: Royal Blue(450nm), Blue(470nm)
70% CH3: Violet Blue(430nm), (470nm)
70% CH4: Violet (420nm), Violet(410nm)
10% CH5: 3000K warm white
15% CH6: 500nm green

So basically I'm running my blues at 70%, 10% whites, 15% green. So blue/white then???

I sent their support an email. Maybe they can give me some suggestions.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it all depends on actual power per channel....

If u use white chanel at 10%, and he is lets say 100w, and u use blue channel at 100% and he is 10w.... U know what i mean.....

Percentage is ok if all channels are same power, but usualy blue channel is where the power is, for my light theres 65w+5w of blue, 10w on white, and 10w on teal-ish....

So, 100% of white channel and 100% of blue channel are not the same....

Back on topic, i guess that "full spectrum" is exactly as is say - full spectrum led chips, so, id say that for reef lights blue/white is more accurate...

But, please share if you get some definitive answer.....

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone over the website can't still can't seem to figure this out...... below is what the site says as far as LED source settings..... I couldn't find any videos that dealt with this.

Which LED setting do I need?
If your LED grow light contains only a few or no white LED chips and looks purple, use the LED red / blue setting. If your grow light contains mostly white LED chips and looks white or yellow-ish, use the LED full spectrum setting. If your light is mostly blue, use the LED blue / white setting.

LED Grow Lights​

If your LED grow light contains only a few or no white LED chips and looks purple, use the LED red / blue setting. If your grow light contains mostly white LED chips and looks white or yellow-ish, use the LED full spectrum setting. Some LED lights that require the LED full spectrum setting might include pure red, pure blue, ultra-violet (UV) and infra-red (IR) chips as well. If your light is mostly blue, use the LED blue / white setting.

So if I'm trying to measure a light that uses a "puck array" style led like the Smat Farm or Noopsyche V3, I'm guessing I use full spectrum??? These lights have 6 channels. below are the channels and what % I'm running them now..
(these are new lights, so I'm in the process of ramping them up slowly)

10% CH1: 14000K Cool White
70% CH2: Royal Blue(450nm), Blue(470nm)
70% CH3: Violet Blue(430nm), (470nm)
70% CH4: Violet (420nm), Violet(410nm)
10% CH5: 3000K warm white
15% CH6: 500nm green

So basically I'm running my blues at 70%, 10% whites, 15% green. So blue/white then???

I sent their support an email. Maybe they can give me some suggestions.
I'm in contact with there support as well, I will forward this to them ...

reading your values on your LED I will say Yes B/W Spectrum, I sent this to them and curious what they say, I also asked them that it would be helpful to do a You Tube on this subject specific to Reef Lighting and settings.

They said they will work on this and hope in a couple days they will have something for all of us.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This app has been fun to play with in the air, but I think I would rater use a dedicated PAR meter built for use in water before I intentionally plunge my phone into saltwater. Sure it would probably be fine. It would cost alot more to replace the phone when it dies from saltwater exposure then just buying the PAR meter in the first place. Just my thoughts.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This app has been fun to play with in the air, but I think I would rater use a dedicated PAR meter built for use in water before I intentionally plunge my phone into saltwater. Sure it would probably be fine. It would cost alot more to replace the phone when it dies from saltwater exposure then just buying the PAR meter in the first place. Just my thoughts.
I do understand your concern, but for what is used for maybe once a year if that. I do it in the Air, but if I would to do it in the water I would definitely vacuum seal it and then dunk it. I have tested it, and also if you have a oldr phone you no longer use would be a great option. But I do understand your concern.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do understand your concern, but for what is used for maybe once a year if that. I do it in the Air, but if I would to do it in the water I would definitely vacuum seal it and then dunk it. I have tested it, and also if you have a oldr phone you no longer use would be a great option. But I do understand your concern.
Vacuum sealing is a smart idea.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding using old phones.....

Anyone think that quality of lens and camera on phone have significant impact on readings?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding using old phones.....

Anyone think that quality of lens and camera on phone have significant impact on readings?
The app suggests using the front camera to assist with aiming towards the light source. I don't think front cameras have really changed much in the last few years to make much of an impact. But I am no expert. Good question for sure.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I got some great feedback from Photone App Support and they made a video on how to calibrate.

I did ask him the concern about what setting is to be used if full spectrum versus B/W for Reef lighting specifically lets see what he comes back with. They are very responsive and extremely helpful, I purchased both the Full Spectrum and B/W and very happy I think just waiting on which spectrum to use for reef lights, I'm going to bet is the B/W Spectrum because reef Lights have 70% of blue spectrum in it and very little white.

I had to convert it to 480 to be able to upload. Due to the no Filter being used I'm going to imagine is a Android and Not iPhone, iPhone users must use a filter on the front camera. You can use regular Printing paper.

Attachments

• 480-PhotoneUndewaterCalibration.mov
    35.6 MB

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes your correct, it will is why the calibration is needed, if you lok at the document and the video you would understand how it affects it and why.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back