FREE TEST of IOAOI In-Sump Protein Skimmer, DC Pump with Controller, 120-160 Gals Tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is no O ring. The sizes of the pipe and the hole are designed perfectly matched, the pipe is not supposed to turn when the knob is rotated. Can you plz check if the two parts in the pics attached are fastened. And then insert pipe into the outlet hole. The pipe should not turn unless you use a lot of strength.
As you can see, the tube isn't a tight fit. Towards the end of the video, you can see the gaps at the connector. Manufacturing defect?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get your refund as promised ?
I know this wasn’t directed at me, but I just wanted to say that IOAOI held true to their word. I received the refund before I even got the skimmer. Essentially once the skimmer shipped they gave me the refund.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a couple installations i would love to try it on, but one is only a 20g where it just running a cannister filter, and it would be overkill, whereas the other is a 65 where i have a reef octopus running, but the operation of it just doesnt seem consistent, and am curious how a different one would operate

OP
OP
IOAOI

IOAOI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
As you can see, the tube isn't a tight fit. Towards the end of the video, you can see the gaps at the connector. Manufacturing defect?

Thank you for pointing out this problem. We will put more effort on inspection.
Reply the PM please. We'll ship you a replacement.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know this wasn’t directed at me, but I just wanted to say that IOAOI held true to their word. I received the refund before I even got the skimmer. Essentially once the skimmer shipped they gave me the refund.
Same. I received mine within a day of the purchase.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i have a couple installations i would love to try it on, but one is only a 20g where it just running a cannister filter, and it would be overkill, whereas the other is a 65 where i have a reef octopus running, but the operation of it just doesnt seem consistent, and am curious how a different one would operate
There is a different thread for a smaller skimmer.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I finally got it installed yesterday. I have the drain tube open and running to the filter socks for a break in period.
IMG_20230203_143415148.jpg

I had to adjust the level of my sump because I normally run it at 10.5" and the directions say this is best at 7"-9". I may let it run for a bit and then bring the sump level back up to the 10.5". I have it running at 9 on the intensity with the air flow on full open right now and it is barely overflowing. Very quiet though! None of that air sucking sound that I get with the Curve 7!

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hands on Review @IOAOI

The Landing:

The skimmer arrived well packaged. It took a longer trip than I’m sure was expected by @IOAOI . Travelled to Miami and then made its way to the Caribbean. It arrived as well packaged and as undamaged as if it were handed to me from factory. That’s a plus.
83903E2F-AAEF-4970-B9DE-5780ACE37F9C.jpeg

4172E2BF-13F0-4BBA-B5AC-5C927F9D7146.jpeg

The Assembly:

It was simple and straightforward. The impeller does feel budget as does the skimmer material. It’s all very lightweight. Almost too lightweight maybe? You can decide if that’s good or bad. I removed a Vertex Omega to put this in. In comparison, the vertex body will last forever but that doesn’t say much if the company didn’t. Lol. I expect @IOAOI to support all parts of all its items sold, in case the errant snail pokes itself where it shouldn’t.
Popped it right into the sump. Power was set to 5/10 and it began its duty.

https://youtube.com/shorts/E2bZvKXiUsg?feature=share

The skimmer design is on point. Was wondering about the pump being off to the side but that wonder went away very soon.

The Skimming: This thing is quiet. Pretty much silent. Now I wont be able to pass a fart off under my Vertex’s hum. Dangit! The power consumption was the big deal for me as I try to be as green as possible. This thing will for sure, impact my electricity bill in a great way. Single digit wattage versus 30w per hour from my Vertex. You might think that’s minor but it adds up and here, where once you pass a certain number of kilowatt hours, the charge triples, this will keep me under it for longer. And away she goes…

Above video is 3 days after installation at undetectable nitrates. It’s keeping it undetectable as well, meaning that the break in time was very very short and that it’s doing as much work, so far, as the Vertex Omega 150 at less than 1/3 the power. Pretty good right? What else can we ask of a skimmer really?
Now I have a few personal gripes. I mentioned

1: The weight. YMMV but…

It's so light weight, that you have to use 2 hands to prevent a spill. Feels almost like it's floating. In tight spaces, which this skimmer is ideal for, I’d have preferred it a bit more sturdy. If the bottom was a little bit more of an anchor, more of a heavier material, then possibly it would be more sure footed.

2. I use Ozone but this is a personal choice and most skimmers don’t offer this option anyway.

3. I don’t love that it doesn’t come with a port on the silencer to attach an external air hose to pull fresh air from outside to help pH. pH is where it’s at right now and some won’t want to splice their tube. It’s an easy fix but figured this would be standard on skimmers by now.

Final thoughts:

It’s a pretty good entry level skimmer that ticks all the boxes for a reefer on a budget. Maybe at $200 this would be the go to skimmer but I’m no manufacturer so I know nothing of those costs. I believe Simplicity Skimmers have held this throne for a while now and with enough marketing and attention to the points mentioned, I think this can compete for sure.

Do we need a big brand name? NO. Can Chinese Companies be reputable, trusted equipment manufacturers with consistent QC? I think so. @IOAOI has to prove itself but it’s off to a good start. Does a skimmer need to cost as much as the Big Sellers tell us they need to? No.

So @IOAOI so far so good. Skimmer will be packed up and moved to another team member’s reef for their review in a week. I’ll give the skimmer another week with me in case it does something funny and I’ll update my R2R team here.

Last edited:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
120 mixed reef, 15 gallon exile tank and 30 gallon frag tank on a 30 gallon sump that is seriously space limited.
I would love to develop a Skimmer CO2 scrubber cap for your skimmer!

IMG_2972(1).JPEG IMG_3170(1).JPEG IMG_3167(1).JPEG
IMG_3237(1).JPEG IMG_3239(1).JPEG IMG_3238(1).JPEG IMG_3240.JPEG
IMG_3171.JPEG

Last edited:

Brewski4u1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
96G corner! would love to give it a try if the option is still available.

Attachments

• 20221009_173434.jpg
    20221009_173434.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 34

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave it 1 day of break in, and then 1 day on power level 7. It arrived clean and with no damage, is working well so far and is very quiet. I will put together a more in depth review going over build quality, noise levels, etc. in the future.

One note, the red impeller assembly seems pretty fragile and flexible. The overall construction here is unusual with a thin plastic base that aligns with 4 nubs on the pump body, while retaining a ceramic sleeve within a rubber sleeve.

This construction is less rigid than typical skimmers, that have the shaft fully supported on both ends.

IMG_5730.jpeg
IMG_5684.jpeg
IMG_5682.jpeg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 mixed reef, 15 gallon exile tank and 30 gallon frag tank on a 30 gallon sump that is seriously space limited.
I would love to develop a Skimmer CO2 scrubber cap for your skimmer!

IMG_2972(1).JPEG IMG_3170(1).JPEG IMG_3167(1).JPEG IMG_3171.JPEG

Scrubber cap would be good, but it seemed to work well with my co2 scrubber. If space limitations makes sense tho. I'm actually really impressed how much air that small pump pulls.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Scrubber cap would be good, but it seemed to work well with my co2 scrubber. If space limitations makes sense tho. I'm actually really impressed how much air that small pump pulls.
I had a BRS style scrubber installed but probably had the hoses too long or my skimmer didn’t have enough suction to get it to work properly. Hence I designed the cap and immediately saw a ph jump.
way easier to install. Easier to install then uninstalling the old one!

This skimmer’s impeller is way beefier then mine.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back